Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: fiyero ( )
Date: May 01, 2012 12:39PM

Apologies if this has already been discussed here, but my TBM mother forwarded me a ridiculous piece of garbage today that really had me laughing. Read the article, and then my take on it is afterwards:

Mitt Romney's Underwear | Bob Lonsberry

Friday, April 13, 2012
Mitt Romney's Underwear

Let's talk about Mitt Romney's underwear.
A caller to the radio mentioned them yesterday. He was a sick-sounding man, with an odd cackle, and he over and over asked, "What about Mitt Romney's magic underwear?"
He clearly felt he was making some sort of a point.
And he was.
That he was an idiot and a bigot.
But let's answer his question.
What about Mitt Romney's magic underwear?
Mitt Romney is a Mormon. That is a Christian religion founded in 1830 in upstate New York. Some Mormons do wear a religious garment under their outer clothes. Presumably, Mitt Romney is one of those Mormons.
***You may not copy entire articles.

Read more: http://www.wham1180.com/pages/boblonsberry.html?article=10037569#ixzz1stNY8wwS

OK, I have to tear this apart. The logic (or lack thereof) in this piece is hilarious.

Other cultures wear religiously symbolic clothing: Yes, I agree on that, but not much more. My take on the rest is as follows:

"Roman Catholic religious have worn sacred garments for 1,700 years."

OK, priest and nuns, etc., but not any of my Catholic friends. Is it fair to compare the sacred vestments of the clergy with a lay member Catholic, or even a Catholic politician like JFK? Did JFK wear religious underwear or outerwear on a daily basis while he was president? I think not. That would just be weird.

"In the Judeo-Christian tradition, specialized articles of religious clothing, of one type or another, have been worn for at least 4,000 years. Some of these have been visible, as a sign to the world, and some have been worn under other clothes, as a reminder to the wearer."

The argument here is that magic underwear or other religious clothing is mainstream and not weird in any way, and should not be disparaged right? So then, what are some similar examples in the J-C tradition that enhance this viewpoint? "one type or another" is not exactly descriptive. Also, I can think of many examples on my own, but these are all outerwear. What astounds me is that the key element to the comparative nature of this argument, "some have been worn under clothes" is completely glossed over, almost as if being swept under the rug. If Mitt's religious underwear is not weird, than please explain why this is so. Does this mean that many of my co-workers and neighbors in the J-C tradition are wearing specialized items of religious clothing under their business suits or t-shirts and True Religion jeans and I've just never known or noticed? I am not aware of anyone other than temple-going Mormons wearing hidden religious clothing unless we are to count the gold chain with a cross that has slipped out of view behind a jacket or a WWJD bracelet that has temporarily retreated behind a cuff. Until someone can make the point that more than 1% of the US population is wearing hidden religious clothing, then I have no choice but to consider this "weird" from my viewpoint.

"The point of all this is that religions around the world have various types of religious garments. If you do the math, most believers on earth belong to a religion that commands its followers or leaders to wear religiously significant clothing. Mormons are part of that majority."

No, I believe the essential point the author is trying to make is that Mitt Romney should not be considered weird for wearing magic underwear, and that dismissing his religiously significant underwear is offensive. I did the math, and it doesn't add up. Of course there are many religions and cultures throughout the world that wear under or outer wear that could be considered strange to my cultural viewpoint. If I am to be honest, I find Muslim burkas and sikh turbans a bit weird. I find the beards and clothing choices of Hasidic Jews and the Amish equally as weird. The way I see the point is that Romney will be representing the United States of America, not the "united countries of the world." It may be true that most believers in the world might wear some sort of religiously symbolic clothing, but in this country, it's a fringe group and I cant immediately change my perception that it's just a bit weird to me.

"Mormons are part of that majority. And Mitt Romney is a Mormon. And he lives his religion."

Ex-squeeze me? A-baking powder? So Mormons are now part of "that majority?" The only majority that Mormons are part of is the global community of the religious weird. In this country, they have no majority except in the state of Utah or other pockets of the inter-mountain west. How do most Americans view the state of Utah I ask? I'll let the reader ponder on that one. This article fails to make any of its intended points, and after reading, I only find mormon garments to be right up there with Sikh turbans, Islam burkas, Hari Krishna robes, and Jewish yarmulkes. I know they are sacred to those that wear them, but as an average WASP joe in this country, I don't really understand the significance. In fact, it's even a bit weirder because unlike the other aforementioned examples, the author fails to provide any example of hidden religious clothing that would make Romney's underwear preference seem any less weird.

"Promises which, like the garment that represents them, are sacred, and should not be made fun of. At least not by decent people."

OK, I understand that I must respect the traditions and viewpoints of others, so I won't make fun. Just don't expect me to "magically" view your sacred underwear as anything but weird.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2014 07:06PM by Susan I/S.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: May 01, 2012 12:55PM

someone wiser than me said on this board once,

if you don't want your beliefs ridiculed.

don't believe in the ridiculous.

Posted by: elcid ( )
Date: May 01, 2012 12:57PM

Bob Looneyberry is a nut case. His opinions are heard in a small area.

Wearing religiously prescribed underwear is going to be viewed as weird by about 80-90% of Americans. Mormons won't like it, but it is going to get discussed alot.

I also think Muslim attire is weird, and Jewish attire, and Amish attire. They may be OK people, but they belong to weird religions, IMHO, and I wouldn't vote for them because of that. So in the eyes of some I am a "bigot". That's OK, I think the job of president of the United States is a pretty important position with the power to affect life on our planet in a good or bad way. The guy/gal who gets the job should be grounded in reality and decency. The way I view Mormonism now I would not want one in office. Just my opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2012 12:58PM by elcid.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: May 01, 2012 08:04PM

I've noticed Obama has been wearing shirts where his tank top is visible. Maybe he doesn't have as much to hide. His undies are not sacred.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: May 01, 2012 08:15PM

Sorry... but anyone who allows a religious organization to dictate things down to what kind of underwear they put on does not inspire a lot of confidence...

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: May 01, 2012 08:20PM

....under his clothes.

Mormons are also 100% naked under their garments.

The difference is that they believe weird stuff.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: May 01, 2012 09:01PM

only with out any of the endearing qualities of Ned Flanders.
the guy is a real life MORmON version of a cartoon character.

That means Lonsberry is compound weird and a real prick.

"hi diddly ho neighbor!"

Posted by: eve88 ( )
Date: May 01, 2012 09:15PM

Haha! Ned always struck me as Mo too! If most Americans knew the oaths associated with those undies, I don't think many would be too keen on the POTUS wearing them. It's a conflict of interest.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 01, 2012 09:24PM

Sikh men are advised/asked to wear 'Special underpants'...
same purpose, as a reminder. As I understand it (wiki), it's more about their sexuality than Mormons.

Posted by: Colorado mom ( )
Date: May 01, 2012 10:01PM

My daughter posted this on Facebook. She was so happy that finally, someone has the right attitude about her sacred undergarments.

I did not respond. I'm not touching it. Not with a ten foot pole.

After all, we were told that if we say anything bad about "the church" we will not see our grandchildren any more.

And how is this organization not a cult?

Posted by: Lost Mystic ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 01:35PM

A friend of mine also posted it on FB. It took great self-control to refrain from a smartass comment. I literally sat debating in my head for about 2 minutes.

Plus, I posted that Mormon flow-chart recently, and it was completely ignored. I thought it was extremely funny, but I suspect some FB friends are already irritated with me, so I didn't want to add fuel to the fire.

But comparing garments to other religious wear is a long stretch.

"see...we are no different! You wear a cross necklace and I have my holy Jesus cock-ring! Same thing!"

That's basically the gist I get from the article...

Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 12:04AM

Romney can wear whatever religious symbols he wants to, over or under his clothes.

But NOT as President of the United States.

Posted by: Poiqwepoi ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 07:36PM

Catholics have magic items as well. They have magic water that protects from evil and used for exorcism. They have the saints that performed miracles. Etc. In the end, religion is BS and the vast majority of the population lives in delusion. Religion is a scam. I got my official apostasy from the catholic church last year. I am no longer be associated with this organization wich protects child rapists.

But I must tell you, from an outsider point of you, that it is scary to see a president which believes in gods, imaginary beings. We saw the results with Bush. It is even more scary to think that the president of the most powerful country, armed with nukes, believes in supernatural beeings, wears magic underwear and believes what was dictated through a hat.

Posted by: A ANON ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 12:37AM

The big difference here is the word "MAGIC".

Many religious people wear clothing that reminds them of their convictions, or displays their beliefs, BUT...

...the big difference is that Mormons believe their underwear actually has MAGICAL PROPERTIES that protect them from spiritual attacks by the adversary, demons, possession etc. as well as from physical harm!

(Which is way so many Emergency Rooms in Utah report never seeing garment-wearing Mormons from bad accidents - sarcasm here)

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 01:19AM

Most of the examples of religious clothing are worn for everyone to see. If mormon's garments are to remind the wearers of the covenants they made, why do other mormons check to see if the garments are being wore? If it's a private matter of the wearer, why do other church members care if the person is wearing garments?

Why not have the bar code for a temple recommend pasted on a member's forehead so we all know who is "worthy" and be done with it?

Posted by: alex71ut ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 08:46AM

With Mitt Romney as President we shouldn't need the Secret Service anymore. His underwear will protect him from harm/danger. This will save the taxpayers plenty of money.

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 08:21PM

We're probably the only nonmo fb friends he has, which made it easy to spot this for what it is. It's not meant to sway nonbelievers. It's meant to make Mormons feel like they should take themselves seriously.

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 01:27PM

Here's an interesting tangent:

Would you vote for a presidential candidate that believed in Fan Death?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_death

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 22, 2014 07:06PM

If they fall for magical regimented underwear, they might not be logical thinking human beings. Still, they could be smarter or more reliable than someone who looks more normal. Still, funny ideas about one thing might mean they have strange ideas about something else and they need to be looked at carefully.

Sikhs wear head gear which doesn't bother me as much as the daggers they wear hidden under their clothes at all times as a reminder that their god expects them to be marshals over others of good deportment. They're allowed to have these on airplanes and other places where non-Sikhs have no option for carrying an implement of self defense.

I caught a 7 year old threatening to kill other children on the playground with his "religious implement" because he wanted more turns at tether ball.

Posted by: The Village Tailor ( )
Date: July 22, 2014 07:59PM

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: July 22, 2014 09:47PM

This is as close as someone wearing garments ever got to the white house - but check out what was on the menu:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/power-lunch-obama-mitt-chili-white-house-article-1.1210470

"The former foes dined on a menu of white turkey chili and Southwestern grilled chicken salad during their first meeting since the final presidential debate."

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 22, 2014 09:54PM

Mitt Romney's underwear is solar powered, because everyone knows that the sun shines right out his ass.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.