Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: specialkay ( )
Date: May 01, 2012 11:14PM

My TBM SIL posted a quote today on fb. Normally I wouldn't say anything to her about things like this but I just don't think I can help myself.

She said “If you women continue to demand your choice to work, you will so upset the economy of this country that the time will come when you will not have a choice. You will have to work.”
― Helen Andelin
"This has proven true! Hmm"

A few hours later she said "So obviously no one likes this! Lol. Sorry if I offended anyone. I just feel strongly now that this is accurate. If women didn't force their way into the work force, our world would be a better place today.... Families and economy especially would still be strong."

I feel that women should be able to work where ever they want but if they don't want to that's their choice. What do you guys think should I say something? Because no one else has said anything.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: May 01, 2012 11:19PM

Oh, those Mormons, always wishing they could turn back the clock to some imaginary Golden Age. Problem is, life 100 years ago was no piece of cake for women, the economy sucked, and families still fell apart. It's only the rose-colored glasses that make the past look pretty.

I wouldn't respond, but if you must, make it one word and cryptic: "naïve"

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: May 01, 2012 11:24PM

Dear bitch,

Jesus fucking Christ you're dumb.

Thank no god that there isn't a shred of evidence for the shit you just spouted.

PS. I'm sorry, SIL, if I offended you with my comment. I just feel really strongly about it. But good fucking Satan you are so stupid your children should be taken away right now. You are dangerous to society.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: May 01, 2012 11:27PM

ROTFLMFAO!! OMG, you went there. :-)

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: May 01, 2012 11:34PM

OK. I know this is off topic, but can I just say that you are my new hero, raptor Jesus??

I hope you show up at the conference so I can get your autograph!!

F*ckin awesome!!!!!!

Date: May 01, 2012 11:27PM

That's what I was thinking in my head!! And my husband, her own brother was calling her an idiot and he probably will to her face.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: May 01, 2012 11:32PM

"What are you doing posting on Facebook? You should be taking care of your children, cooking dinner for your husband, cleaning, doing the laundry, etc.. It is your husband's job to speak for you and the family. You should delete your face book account and leave dealing with the outside world to your husband, where it belongs".

Well, that would be if she has a husband.

Posted by: tiptoes ( )
Date: May 01, 2012 11:39PM

++++ MJ

Posted by: kestrafinn (not logged in) ( )
Date: May 01, 2012 11:33PM

I think saying nothing - provided no one else does, is the best way to go.

Such ignorance and antiquated opinions should be dealt with as appropriate - by ignoring them. It's pretty evident that she was disturbed she didn't get any responses, particularly agreement.

Let her be disturbed, wondering.

And if she asks you specifically what you thought, THEN tell her how perfect an example of why people see Mormons as cultish and backward with comments like that.

Date: May 01, 2012 11:41PM

Yeah she seems to be a little upset that no one even liked it so I won't say anything. Oh and she does have a husband (she complains about him constantly threatening divorce etc) and also three children who are some of the worst behaved I have ever seen because she won't discipline them whatsoever.

Posted by: bc ( )
Date: May 01, 2012 11:35PM

The crickets chirping are louder than anything you could possibly say - they are already shouting - AWKWARD!

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: May 01, 2012 11:37PM

I agree, “If women didn't force their way into the work force…” then they could be stay at home moms, totally dependent on their husbands and with no job skills. Therefore, when he was banging the secretary, women would just ignore it and cover it up for him, so that they wouldn’t be left alone with children and no way at all to support them.

Life was so much better then. Being totally dependent was so worth it for the sake of the economy.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 12:15AM

How about:

All people, including women, have a right to self determination.

I understand this is a radical view for those living under oppression where one's life path is dictated by class or gender and opportunities to reach full potential are denied, ostensibly for the "greater good."

Most enlightened beings choose and promote freedom.

Anagrammy

Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 12:19AM

Women did not force their way into the workforce. Aaarrrgggg!!! Stupidity drives me nuts.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.