Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Robin ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 07:56PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 08:01PM

not me.

Posted by: templenameaaron ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 09:30PM

Entire families are encouraged.

Posted by: Cynthia ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 09:33PM

The man in my family, I refuse to participate.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 08:16AM

The woman in my family because I refuse to participate.

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 09:37PM

Entire families may be encouraged.
But I guarantee the vast majority of those scrubbing toilets are women/girls.
You know, cause scrubbing toilets/ cleaning is womens work.
Right?
I'm thinking the great majority of the tbm men and boys, (that actually show up), are doing the manly jobs of landscaping, and delegating which ladies have the privilege of scrubbing the men's urinals.

Yes, I'm a bit bitter. and sarcastic. don't judge :)
Come on ladies, just bow your head and say yes :)

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 11:18PM

Men are selfisher. :). My husband one time said "women are better at doing mundane tasks"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2012 11:19PM by suckafoo.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 01:45PM

suckafoo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Men are selfisher. :). My husband one time said
> "women are better at doing mundane tasks"

....like having sex with a selfish man. ;o)

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 09:40AM

as I walk by the church quite often and take my dogs walking around the grounds. I see a few guys pull up with a mower on a trailer on weekdays and do all the grounds work and move on.

Now--snow removal--pretty sure that is members. It used to be I could always find a clear sidewalk at the lds church to walk in the winter. No longer.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 01:04PM

? ever seen Melting Salt provided (in Northern areas)?
I'm willing to bet that it Wasn't Funded by SLC HQ if it was.

Result: Safety of clear sidewalks & paths thru the parking lot competes with paper plates & plastic utensils for budget $ on local level.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 10:22PM

Don't know...don't care....not me....

Posted by: Noscreenname ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 10:42PM

We didn't show up when it was our turn. We were not asked, we were just put on the list. We already had plans. I have plans every Saturday, and it doesn't include cleaning the church. Our Saturday was the day they had a Food Storage and preparedness
Fair.
You can't go before 10:30, because of the addictions class. And the fair went from 11-3 pm. Sorry who every put it on, they need to clean it.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 10:46PM

I realize that what we're reading on this board is people who, by and large, are refusing to clean the churches.

Wonder what's going on in TBM-ville; is the rank and file cleaning and grumbling or not cleaning. Can't imagine that many folks, even TBMs, are cleaning whilst rhapsodizing about the blessings appertaining thereto.

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 11:06PM

I haven't been out of the church all that long.

Not too long ago, I cleaned the chapel and also cleaned the McTemple in my neighborhood.

We had a team that cleaned the McTemple once every three months. Every one of the members on that team were female. I figured it was because we did the temple cleaning in the middle of the day, when all the men were at work. We were all ladies who did not have a 9 to 5, 5 day a week, paid job.

As for cleaning the chapel, well, they encouraged families to do it. But I would watch as the men stood around talking while the women actually did most of the work. The men would pull out the huge industrial vacuum for us, and SOMETIMES they would push that vacuum. But you would be surprised how many times they'd get the vacuum out and then one of the ladies would take it over and use it.

Men were pretty good at putting up tables and chairs, if that needed to be done, but mostly, the men would just stand around and talk about church admin stuff.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 07:58AM

But according to the church, shouldn't you have been home, watching the kids, and cooking dinner for your priesthood holder? The church surely did not expect him to pick something up on the way home, or you to put your kid in a dread day care class, did they?

Posted by: mistymemories ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 07:19AM

People who ask for financial assitance are asked to clean the chapels. Mind you unless you pay a full tithe and generous fast offering you are unlikely to get any help. The are making it the members responsiblity to clean the chapels now, I guess they need all the money they can get to finance their Real Estate ventures, Malls,Condos...What a wonderful charitable church they are........ I mean corporation!

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 05:15PM

Who cleans the church has CHANGED in recent years.

It USED TO BE that folks who got church assistance were asked to clean the chapel.

NOWADAYS, all active members are assigned a week to clean the chapel.

My family has never had need to ask for church assistance (thank God for that), but our ward has been asking the regular membership to clean the chapel for about six years or so.

Same thing with the McTemple. Our ward is assigned one week every three months when they have to provide the folks to clean the temple. I was on that temple cleaning crew.

Collecting church assistance -- or NOT collecting church assistance -- has nothing to do with who is cleaning the chapel or temple.

Not anymore, in most places, including my home ward.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 07:59AM

Statistically because there are more active women than men in the church, I would predict it is women.

Posted by: Every Member a Janitor ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 08:13AM

She doesn't like cleaning the chapel, but as we are placed on a list in the sacrament program, feels pressure to do it. She feels like her friends in the ward with whom we are assigned to clean will look down on her for not chipping in. For us it can be an all day event given the travel time to the church and the general sloppiness of the building. Our turn falls once a month. Some of the stay at home moms got together to clean it because it was recently done on a Friday afternoon.

Posted by: tensolator ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 09:01AM

I have cleanecd chapels, moved water pipe on church farms, closed the building, etc.

Posted by: Zim ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 09:04AM

My ward meets in a building with another ward. Each ward takes two months at a time for cleaning responsibilities. One of the month's assignments are managed by the Elder's Quorum, the next by the High Priests. They select a certain number of families per week with specific assignments (chapel, primary room, hallways and so on). The idea is that no one should have to be there longer than 20 minutes. That is unless someone doesn't show.

That's the other thing, they try to coordinate it in a way that forces you to show up at church between 8 and 10 a.m. You're supposed to let people know if you're going to do it at a later time, but it's frowned upon.

Of course, the biggest problem I have is that they just put you on a list. They don't ask. They tell you if it's a bad week it's your responsibility to find a replacement. I have only done it a couple of times, but it was because we were using the chapel anyway for a piano recital and our assignment happened to correspond with our week.

Posted by: dr5 ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 09:25AM

In my youth ours did a great job of cleaning up baby vomit, cheerios messes, etc etc. And this was a man with a family to support.

Posted by: george ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 10:29AM

I am way past three score and ten. I have a heart condition. I don't attend church, but help in family history as a researcher. I got my call to clean recently. I said, "NO, why would the richest church in America ask such a thing of me?"

Posted by: rosemary ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 11:16AM

Since my parents had seven kids, when it was our family's turn it was two parents and bunches of kids. Mom Did work but mostly delegated (Good lord, she was good at that.) and Dad vacuumed. Windows/toilets were all done by the kids.

Posted by: anonofthis ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 12:36PM

I would never clean the bathrooms of a business.Thats what the tscc is. Its like you are going to clean where you bank. The difference is you'll never see a dime of the Mo bank.
Satan has control over the waters.I was taught that by the Mo
since childhood, therefore I could never clean the toilets.

Posted by: rander70 ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 12:37PM

Sexism... sexism everywhere.

Posted by: Infrequent Observer ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 12:57PM

I've gone with my wife to clean in the heart of the morridor. To be honest, it was mostly men. In fact, I had to smile, because it was the bishop, the GP group leader, the the exec secretary and some of the other "higher ups" in the ward. They were complaining about how they can't get anyone else to come and how it made them mad that the janitors had been fired.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 01:24PM

Even at my most TBM I would never have cleaned a chapel or babysat other people's kids.

I would usually tell the callers that such jobs are for imbeciles and those of the lower kingdoms.

Astonished silence at the other end ...lol.

Posted by: anonymou5 ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 01:26PM

Based on their condition when I went to pick up my son from scouts last week, apparently nobody is. Good thing I didn't have to sit down. Yuck.

Posted by: dr5 ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 01:29PM

I wondered how really CLEAN the volunteers were achieving.

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 01:42PM

When I left we had to clean the building (vacuum, dust, wash windows, etc.), but not scrub the toilets.

I actually didn't mind that much, I often was the only person to show up Saturday morning (Wife at the time worked Saturday and the rest of the families in the ward were often no-shows to the point the Bishop and EQP had to bribe people to clean with donuts).

I liked it becuase it made my WATT happy that I was doing "church stuff" and I didn't have to interact with anyone... Of all the church stuff, that was probably the assignment I liked the most (by which I mean I hated it the least).

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 01:46PM

this may seem petty and bitter.
but I believe we may need to organize a
mass call in to health and human services in each state
to alert them to the unsanitary conditions at each of
ld$inc.'s meeting houses.

you know, because mormons believe in abiding by the laws of the land.
It is our duty to follow this counsel.

it could be an exmo family home evening activity/ community service project!
ill post the Arizona DHS phone numbers in a few minutes.
Damn! I feel the spirit already!!!
Who's in?

Posted by: Claire ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 03:34PM

Who cleans, you ask?

Stupid people of both genders, that's who.

Doing free work for an exploitative corporation disguised as a church is about the dumbest thing I can think of.

Except for also paying them money.

Posted by: runtu ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 05:17PM

We always took the whole family, and there were usually only a couple of other families there, so it would take hours just to do the basics cleaning the church. I've cleaned enough toilets to know that most families didn't leave things to the women. We were all used equally by a church that can't be bothered to pay to maintain its buildings but can spend billions on a mall.

Posted by: lbenni ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 05:26PM

the way to put TSCC out of business...

only the people who attend clean the TOILETS.....right after the " worship service...

the people who don't attend don't have to clean anything..

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.