Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: romy ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 09:11PM

I'm in my late 20s and have been surrounded by friends drinking and doing drugs for years and never really had the desire to as a TBM but I think I do even less now as a non TBM. Not that I had planned to make drinking a regular thing when leaving tssc because the desire was never there in the 1st place but now that I don't subscribe to the rules of tssc anymore I figured I'd sample here and there what everyone else has seemed so into all these years. Curiosity grossed out my taste buds. Here are the things I 've sampled

vodka or as I prefer to say gasoline
beer
wine
baileys
pina colada

EW! they all tasted gross to me. even the low alcohol % premixed pina colada had a strong rubbing alcohol taste. I guess I will be a non drinker for life despite leaving tssc which I am 100% fine with. When friends would be getting sloppy at parties all these years I would say I was high on life, I would say that has only improved now after being out from under tssc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lazarus ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 09:18PM

Don't give up too soon, it takes a bit.

I have only been drinking for a year, mainly drink socially. I have never actually been drunk.

Start with mixed drinks - mojito, mudslide, white russian, rum and coke, stuff like that.

I am trying to acquire the taste for beer, not quite there yet. I think Guinness is my favorite so far.

Posted by: Lost Mystic ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 09:21PM

If you like Guiness, and you live near a McMenamins, try the Terminator Stout! Blows Guiness away!

http://www.mcmenamins.com/

I only like really dark beer as far as beer goes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2012 09:22PM by Lost Mystic.

Date: May 02, 2012 09:25PM

I wouldn't say I like it, it was just the best tasting beer that I forced myself to drink.

Like I said, i am trying hard to like beer.

Posted by: Lost Mystic ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 09:19PM

Try a long island iced tea...

Or patron!

Perhaps it's an taste that grows on you...

But even if you think it tastes bad, doesn't it feel good? ;)

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 09:34PM

A long island might be a bit intense for someone with low tolerance.

Posted by: gannosu ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 09:23PM

Or just give it all up, you've nothing to lose. You can feel good after drinking but you make up for it afterwards.

The sickest I've ever been was after comsuming to much alcohol and sooner or later you'll probably do the same thing.

Posted by: the god of thunder ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 09:24PM

Cider is good. I don't like beer. Ginger beer is good too. Strawberry and lime cider from Sweden over ice. Yummy.

Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 09:27PM

I got through half of one at the exmo gathering in Sandy a few weeks ago. I tried to look all manly in front of my new friends but I didn't quite succeed.

I did do a shot though and it wasn't too bad. I can't remember if it was Jack Daniels or some other "hard Liquor". The young and spunky Fundamentalist Mormon escapee across the table from me ordered it for me and sat their waiting for me to drink it. I didn't seem to have a choice so I downed it like they do in cowboy movies. I'm just glad I didn't spit it all over the table.

Date: May 02, 2012 09:30PM

That's funny. I only tried taking a shot once. I think it will be a while before I do that again. It was some expensive Patron tequila. It went in like water, went down like fire. I about choked.

Posted by: foggy ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 11:16PM

I'm glad you didn't spit it all over too ;)

I want to say it was a shot of Jim Beam

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 09:28PM

You may find only one thing you like the taste of, or you may find over time that you acquire a taste for something. Either way, you shouldn't force yourself to like it if you really don't. And remember that alcohol really is one of those things that should be taken in moderation, lol!

Have you tried tea or coffee?

Date: May 02, 2012 09:41PM

yes, I was also really grossed out by coffee. I tried some of the fancier drinks they make for you at starbucks, not even close to black coffee and was still grossed out. I had to put in a LOT of splenda to make it drinkable. It have determined it is also pretty much not for me.

I'm not into hot tea at all, I've sampled iced tea some different places and it was so so, but I wasn't really into it....peach tea from snapple though I am in love with, it just tastes like peach juice and not tea, I love it.

My taste buds are pretty secure in loving sweet things at this point in my life I guess and don't appreciate anything else.

I am fascinated by friends that can drink black coffee, I feel like that is what would be forced down my throat in hell.

Date: May 02, 2012 10:16PM

I love coffee but I NEVER drink it black. Always gotta have a little sugar in there. LOL!

So you like peach tea - there is your "naughty" drink!

:-)

Posted by: FormerLatterClimber ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 10:59PM

+1

I agree with xyz. Don't be too worried about it. Alcohol is something, like coffee and tea that has an acquired taste.
Plus, not to be a fuddy duddy, but aside from red wine (definitely an acquired taste), alcohol is generally bad for you, unless taken in moderation.

And, as for a first timer like yourself, the drinks you listed that you tried are terrible, especially vodka -- blech! Try the sweeter stuff, like cider instead of beer, or Riesling dessert wine. As for liquor, do you like sweet and sour candy? Because whiskey sour is delicious. It tastes just like the candy and you can hardly taste the alcohol. Good luck Romy! Have fun, and of course drink responsibly ;-)

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 09:29PM

I'm big into scotch.

But, I do not recommend a newbie start with scotch--especially straight!

Since you don't like beer...yet...I recommend starting with the smoothest foo-foo drinks you can get your hands on: wine coolers...or "smirnoff ice" for example.

When you gain a taste for beer, let me know, because I can recommend some _amazing_ things.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2012 09:38PM by archytas.

Posted by: Altava ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 09:31PM

Yeah I'm in my late 20's and um...I tried alcohol while I was still more into the church, but I've never been a huge drinker. I only drink "girly drinks" like the mojitos,margaritas, etc things of that nature. I can't drink beer, wine is okay, I can only take small sips though and I prefer it to be as sweet as possible. But I only drink on special occasions, or every once and a while. I have like the worse alcohol tolerance known to mankind... So I have to not have much going on that night if I want something.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 09:31PM

And after several shots of whiskey, I wish the whole world would burn.

What the fuck is your problem?

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 09:34PM

I don't drink. Have no problem with those who do. Just never liked the taste of it. I drink maybe one drink per year. I'm 48. I think this is for life.

My father never liked the taste of alcohol, either. Maybe it's genetic.

I get along fine not drinking and it's A LOT cheaper not to.

Date: May 02, 2012 09:44PM

That is true. I don't need to spend the money or calories on one more habit.

I think I would be about 10 lbs. lighter had I never discovered I love bleu cheese. I would be a lot richer if I had not discovered I love sushi ( well, some of it )

Date: May 02, 2012 09:47PM

oh yea, I forgot to put margarheta (sp?) on my list, didn't like it at all either. That was one pretty much everyone I know likes so I thought it was going to be good, I was so wrong.

Posted by: apostate j ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 09:36PM

If you don't like it you don't like it. There's nothing wrong with that. Lots of non Mormons don't drink. Most of my no-mo friends don't drink.

Posted by: Calypso ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 09:43PM

Hahahahaha gasoline. I hate how much I love the taste of vodka. Just by itself. Flawless. Like everyone else has said though, alcohol is an acquired taste...especially beer and wine! I used to hate them both but now I am a pretty huge fan...:)

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 09:44PM

You're probably trying the cheep stuff. It is the mistake everyone makes when they first start out. Try pinnacle whipped Vodka, mixed with root beer, if you like root beer, or sprite if you do not. Thank me later.

Posted by: Calypso ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 09:46PM

Omg. Yes. +1 million.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 10:20PM

Mix it with Fanta and you have Orange Soda. I used to put in slices of mandarin oranges to make an old girlfriend lustful in her loins.

Too sweet for me though. I prefer straight up, unsweetened vodka.

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 09:45PM

I rarely drink anymore. I did have some Blue Moon beer a couple of weeks ago with my friends which is good. Amaretto Sour and Midori Sour are good, but pretty sweet. I like wine or beer mostly if I do drink.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 09:45PM

... s**t?

Timothy

Posted by: womanoftheworld ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 10:09PM

I'm with you, Timothy. Pure silliness.

Date: May 02, 2012 10:18PM

All this poster wants to do is participate in our weekly Friday ritual. :)

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 09:48PM

Try a riesling. They are really sweet. Go to winery where you can do some wine tasting. Tell them you are new to wine and that you prefer sweeter wine. The white wines are generally sweeter than the reds because they do not have all the tanins.

http://www.ste-michelle.com/wines/columbiaValley/release/12

Try a Famboise beer.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/187/599

They are fruit based and are also very sweet.

It does take a bit of time for your taste buds to acquire a taste for drinks that are not sweet and actually a bit bitter. I remember when I first tried iced tea I didn't understand why people would drink it. It didn't have hardly any flavor. Now I prefer it to other syrupy sweet sodas.

Posted by: testiphony (cant login) ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 09:55PM

I second the person who said make sure you're not drinking cheap stuff. I like Bombay Sapphire gin or Smirnoff vodka. It's more than just the flavor, the nicer brands also give a much better buzz.

I'm kind of over alcohol though. When I partied with Utah jackmo's it was always lifeblood. Now outside of Utah it's not as big. Still there just not that great. The friends i've had who REALLY party, they find alcohol bizarre and unenjoyable.

Have you tried Mike's hard lemonade? I drink it purely for the flavor, can hardly detect the %5 alcohol.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 10:03PM

When I do drink, it's vodka and it's Belvedere. I still don't like drinking.

Date: May 02, 2012 10:10PM

the vodka my friend had that I tried was Svedka, not sure where that falls in the hierarchy of vodkas?

My friend did tell me skull vodka is the cheapiest nastiest kind out there that he will never touch.

Date: May 02, 2012 10:19PM

Svedka gives a decent amount of quality for the price, but still not as good as Smirnoff, Absolut. I'd compare it to Seagram's gin. Drinkable, affordable, but for how seldom I drink I want Bombay or Tanguerey gin.

Date: May 02, 2012 10:12PM

I believe you. But it certainly makes a difference for me. Perhaps the biggest difference aside from setting.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 10:00PM

There's nothing wrong with not drinking if you don't want to. That means there's more for me. ;-)

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 10:03PM

My first drink of beer was awful. I couldn’t believe that it was what the cool advertisements were all about.

Then as a junior in high school, I drank beer and hung out with hot girls and the cool guys in school while partying. At that point, the good associations with drinking made it start tasting good. But I agree with you on all the rest.

Hard drinks taste like gasoline to me also, though my wife loves the hard stuff straight. Coffee taste horrible, even if it was free. And tea tastes like liquid hay.

As a TBMish, I didn’t drink for about 15 years. Then I discovered nonalcoholic Coors. The first swallow brought back a flood of wonderful memories. I was sitting there with a crazy grin on my face as I was transported back to my youth with each swallow like I was in a time machine. Then I started drinking regular beer on occasion as I was leaving the church.

I’m still probably a wussy drinker by guy standards, even with beer. I like the light stuff like Coors and Budweiser. At bbqs etc. I sometimes try other unknown beers, and they are usually bitter, or some other form of bad tasting. But I really like regular American beers that have a reputation for not being considered beer at all by the “real” beer drinkers.

If the taste for something comes for you, indulge. If it doesn’t, don’t. You could try a nonalcoholic Coors and see if you don’t like the taste of hops and grain drinks, or if it’s really the alcohol that you don’t like.

Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 10:08PM

You don't have to drink alcohol or coffee. I know lots of folks who don't drink coffee because they don't like the taste. One of my good friends doesn't drink and his wife is a big wine "snob."
The doctor actually recommended he drink a little red wine once in a while for his health.

Just be cause so many people here drink, don't feel you would stand out if you don't.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 10:10PM

Some people just don't catch on. To others of us it is food for the gods. I loved beer as soon as I drank it. My first bottle of wine was an expensive Tuscan wine, and I couldn't get enough.

On the other hand, I'm not much on mixed drinks and may have a rum and coke or vodka with cranberry juice just so I can stand around and talk to people. It takes a long time for me to finish the, though. If it's available, I'll go for any kind of Mexican beer.

Date: May 02, 2012 10:17PM

I think I'll have gasoline on the rocks.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 10:19PM

I love black coffee. However i have some rules.

1. Good quality....I like sumatran
2. Fresh ground, by that I mean 5 minutes ago.
3. no sitting on the burner more than 20 minutes.
4. I like a little sweet something with it. Cinnamon rolls are my first choice.

I know, picky picky.

I also like a vanilla latte once in awhile. They're a little bit too sweet for every day.

Posted by: RG001 ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 10:25PM

I like beer and mixed drinks, but only drink once in a while socially. I enjoy an alcohol buzz, but am subject to hangover if I take it too far. Learning when to stop is a really good skill to develop. I made a fool of myself a couple of times before I learned that.

Straight liquor is indeed nasty. I can do straight shots, but WHY???

Date: May 02, 2012 10:37PM

I have a high tolerance to all sedating drugs including alcohol. If I want any significant effect from alc I have to do shots, or nurse gin on the rocks. Vodka for shots, gin for sipping :D I'm also resistant to hangovers. My wife used to get headaches the day after till I told her to make sure she drinks as much water as cocktails.

Date: May 02, 2012 10:43PM

Once you get used to the flavor of hard liquor, usually all you need is some ice and you are good to go. When I lived overseas, I drank some of the nastiest vodka on the planet. It was a part of the culture and whenever I would meet with someone, it was a five shot event.

Now I can drink Smirnoff on ice like it is water. Sugar tends to give me a bad hangover in the morning, so I don't really miss mixing with it.

Date: May 02, 2012 10:42PM

One of my fave self-mixed drinks is Gin (good gin) and grapefruit juice. Does anyone know if that one has a name? I know Rum and GF juice is called a "Monkey Wrench."

Date: May 02, 2012 10:44PM

name it something fun like "worthy priestood holder", "bishops right hand man"

Date: May 02, 2012 10:45PM

"joseph juice", a play on jesus juice michael jackson was accused of handing out

Date: May 02, 2012 10:55PM

Hey bartender, how 'bout mixing me up a "Mountain Meadows Massacre??"

Date: May 02, 2012 11:04PM

Date: May 02, 2012 11:22PM

a "Greyhound." Now it's made with vodka instead.

So I guess a gin & grapefruit juice is called Gin & Grapefruit Juice.

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 10:56PM

One person out of nine who starts drinking alcohol ends up becoming an alcoholic. My 40 year old SIL has this problem. Two years ago he started attending AA meetings and has continued to go to a weekly meeting. He has not had a drink during those two years. But he doesn't consider himself to be cured. He believes that he will need to continue to attend a weekly AA meeting for the rest of his life.

I drink very very lightly -- about one drink per two weeks. I have only found one alcoholic beverage that actually tastes good. That is Reunite Lambrusco, an Italian Red Table Wine. The supposedly high-quality wines all taste pretty bad, in my opinion. And all the hard liquor really tastes awful.

So I understand where you are coming from.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 11:07PM

It's possible that you have been so conditioned to expect alcohol to taste bad, that you are fulfilling your conditioning, every time you take a sip.

I used to have a problem with beer, until I bought a gift case that had beers from all over the world. (Though eight of the twelve were from America, big disappointment) Still by the time I finished the case, I had developed a taste for beer, and discovered what kind of beers I like.

Posted by: PeacePrincess ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 11:12PM

I'm on the same page as CateS in that I also don't drink alcoholic drinks or coffee solely as a matter of personal taste, having nothing to do with my Mormon past. I don't even like the smell of beer (smells like p!ss to me) or coffee. I have tasted a little sip of cola once or twice in my past and don't care much for even that. But I have no problem with others drinking the stuff, unlike most Mormons with their "Holier than thou" attitude.

However, I do occasionally use a little wine in my cooking.

Date: May 02, 2012 11:19PM

I like gin and tonic, which is by no means a sweet or wimpy drink. OP would probably find those a bit nasty, as I did at first. I developed that taste gradually. I prefer Bombay Sapphire. I guess my posts are starting to reveal than I'm into gin...But who wouldn't like a spirit that tastes sort of like Christmas Trees??

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 11:23PM

Rum/Coke

marguritas

Don't feel pressured, Hopefully U don't drink to get drunk.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: May 02, 2012 11:39PM

It makes you soft and chubby. Who needs a new habit?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.