Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nminmylife ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 11:39AM

We got new neighbors in Little Provo aka NW Meridian, ID. Had fun hanging out, kids playing, etc. My "modar" didn't go off. Fast forward a month and I make an inappropriate comment about Mo's. Husband says wife is a MO. He says she's a Jack-mo. I had noticed Molly Mo being super nice to them, 12 days of Christmas gifts, playdates, when they've NEVER done anything for us in 6 years we've lived here.

We talk and she says she won't take her kids there b/c they will say mean things about Dad. She sends kids to preschool at Christian Church. She wants her kids to have some faith.

Our kids play all the time. She mentioned the other day about Visiting Teachers and who they were. What are Visiting Teachers and why does she let them visit?

I'm so confused now? How did they know she was Mo when they bought the house? We have the coolest friendship and I'm so thankful for it!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 11:58AM

They probably found your friend because her membership records were transferred into her ward in ID by her the bishop/clerk in her last ward. Or because her parents or friends gave the information as to where she moved to the church, who made sure her records were transferred to the ward where she currently lives.

Once your records are in a ward, you are automatically assigned Visiting Teachers or Home Teachers, whether you want them or not, whether you attend or not. Your kids are assigned to Primary classes and their names are given to their teachers. They are signed up for the ward Cub Scouts or Boy Scouts. It doesn't matter what the "member" wants. She can tell her VT's to shove off and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. They are supposed to have some sort of contact every month with the member assigned to them. Ideally (for the church) it would be an in-home visit where they chat with the member for 15 minutes or so, try to assess the family's "situation" and "needs" and offer any help they deem necessary. They end with a spiritual thought, as published monthly in the Ensign, and a prayer. However, if a person doesn't want VTs, any contact is preferable to no contact, because you never know when someone is going to "soften their heart". So that may be a visit over the fence or in the grocery store, a postcard in the mail, dropping off a photocopy of the spiritual thought at your front door or a plate of cookies, if all else fails. One lady in our ward doesn't want VT's and would be shocked if she knew she was on the record as being taught every month. That's because she shares a fence with a Molly Mo, who hangs over the fence and visits whenever they are both in the yard ... and then COUNTS THIS as visiting teaching. Friendly always has an agenda with that sort of Mormon.

I let my VTs come for a long time because I liked them both personally and now that one is moving, I'm not sure what the ward is going to do about me because literally, there are like 3 sisters in the ward I'd let come with a spiritual message for me. I just don't respect the rest enough to allow it - although I'm friendly with the others when I see them. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to tell anyone they assign me to shove off from here on out.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 01:18PM

I wrote the rsp a note about 7 years ago telling her I wanted to be taken off of the list to be visit taught.

I never had anyone show up again. That is until I resigned. A couple showed up unannounced. I don't think that will happen again though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2012 02:48PM by Mia.

Posted by: nminmylife ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 04:34PM

Thanks for the info. I thought it was creepy and I was right. I think her parents gave the info :(

I'm just thankful to have neighbors with kids my kids ages, the parents are really good/strict, and we can send kids back and forth.

I love you guys!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.