Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 10:15PM

I've know someone whose been excommunicated twice and re-baptized both times. He then did the same thing again but no action was taken. Someone told me it was because if your x'd 3 times you can't be baptized again.

Does anyone know what the rules are?
I have a feeling this guys, friends and family begged for him to not be x'd for the 3rd time.

Just curious.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 10:19PM

I have been told the total is twice then they are done with you! :-)

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 10:35PM

...when it's in the interest of the church to have someone a member, like if there's a pile of tithing to be had; or if there's a good story of repentance, forgiveness and redemption the church can use to make itself look good.

Posted by: sam ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 10:40PM

That is a great question. I would imagine there have not been many cases of more than one. But, I would be interested in knowing that. I am not aware that there is an exact number.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 11:25PM

My sister had a friend who slept around and was excommunicated twice. She was re-baptized both times and later married in the temple to a guy who was led to believe she was a virgin. However, she was single and the guys were single, so I'm not sure why she wasn't disfellowshipped instead - she hadn't been through the temple nor had either of her partners. One wasn't even LDS.

On the other hand, I had a friend who was married with four kids, temple marriage and everything to an RM when she cheated on him and she was only disfellowshipped.

My point is, I don't think anyone knows what is going on. The CHI may say certain things and set down certain rules, but rogue bishops seem to be able to break them if they want to, based on their "discretion" and the "whisperings of the spirit" obviously. (sarcasm alert)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2012 11:26PM by CA girl.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 11:36PM

She may have been disfellowshipped on at least one, and simply used the words interchangeably.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: May 05, 2012 12:06AM

Eternity - Mo-ism is eternal you know.........

Posted by: abinadiburns nli ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 03:48PM

If it was a christian cHurch it would be 70 x 7 no?

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: May 05, 2012 09:36AM

W.W. Phelps was excommunicated twice, and reinstated twice. the first round by Joseph Smith, and then again by Brigham Young.

Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: May 05, 2012 10:51AM

My father was ex'd for infidelity in the late 80's, then disfellowshipped in the mid 2000's when he was arrested at a rest stop in Indiana for jerking it in public. Both times he was on the high council when accused, and he has been welcomed back to full fellowship after his punishments were lifted. Yay.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 05, 2012 11:19AM

As with everything else in the LDS church, it is all totally arbitrary. One guy does one thing, another guy does something 180 degrees. And guess what? Both guys are right! [Cheers go up.] The reason that it's okay in both cases is because both leaders are always "inspired." I've heard people say, "Yes, the stake president ruined their lives and they got divorced, but he was inspired to do it."

I just hope you're not pondering going back.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: May 05, 2012 05:16PM

Oh hell no!

Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: May 05, 2012 11:45AM

Follow the money. You pay, your in.

Posted by: The Motrix ( )
Date: May 05, 2012 12:33PM

My FIL was on his third try in when he was killed by a drunk drive. I don't know how many more times he could go.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: May 05, 2012 01:56PM

The pedophile in my home ward has been excommunicated 3 times after being prosecuted. He's also been reinstated 3 times as well.

He's rich and pays a lot of $ in tithing, so it would be no suprise to me if this cycle continued to his death.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 04:00PM

Ick. So, a pedophile is reinstated three times and all his "blessings are restored." However, a decent,law abiding member who chooses to leave on his own generally receives a letter or verbal warning from his bishop or SP saying that the decision to leave has eternal consequences and that he's forfeiting blessings. It's sick. I just don't get it.

Posted by: DUO4Peace ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 03:02PM

Just reading my nephews letter on his mission and he said a guy wants to get baptized and he's already been x'ed twice. My nephew said that this is his last chance. WTF? Three strikes and you're out? How is that even a part of an eternal plan of progression and mercy??? Didn't Christ say something about forgiving a person 77 times (just to pick a random high number I would think). So glad I broke free from the chains of religion that use fear and guilt to control.

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 03:26PM

Yes, three strikes and you are out, for good.

At least that is the way it USED to be, for regular members that were not extended elite special privileges like not getting ex ed at all after serious mis deeds. However in the more latter days of Massive membership hemorrhaging, LDS Inc may allow a lot more to keep / regain members.

Christ said a lot of things. According to MORmONISM, He is the cruel homicidal maniac God of the Old Testament AND the prince of peace of the new testament.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 03:45PM

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice, shame on me.

Fool me three times, WTF?

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 03:52PM

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 03:49PM

Even Commandments of God Almighty can be excused if it's in the best interests of the church, so these little handbook regulations and procedures are stretched and ignored all the time depending on circumstances and need.

Posted by: Hugh ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 04:10PM

70 x 7, I think. So what's that? 490 times to be exact.

Posted by: Hugh ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 04:14PM

Sorry, I was thinking of any Christian church, not the Mormon church.

In the mormon church, it depends on how much money you have. If you're a billionaire - it's infinity and beyond as Buzz Lightyear would say.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.