Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mrs. Estzerhaus ( )
Date: May 09, 2012 03:21PM

President Obama was Speaking personally to Robin Robins on ABC News. Let's see what the Mormons do with this. It will be used to scare the older people, but I wonder if the young people will support it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: May 09, 2012 03:33PM

It's all about the independent voters. A majority of independent voters are pro-gay-marriage.

Posted by: Boilermaker ( )
Date: May 09, 2012 03:35PM

He can now forget about carrying Virginia, Ohio, Wisconsin, Michigan, North Carolina, Iowa and Pennsylvania.

Posted by: Boilermaker ( )
Date: May 09, 2012 03:43PM

And Florida ...

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: May 09, 2012 04:41PM

Here in Virginny we ain't so fired up narrow-minded as all that!

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: May 09, 2012 03:36PM

Bring on the culture war. It's another step forward and encouraging to see we are becoming a more enlightened society, imo. TSCC is once again finding itself in the dark ages.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: May 09, 2012 03:36PM

in 2013 neither candidate will have any idea what you are talking about.

Posted by: Strykary ( )
Date: May 09, 2012 03:40PM

Then again, all decisions made by politicians these days are wholly political. Whether he'll actually do anything is anybodys guess. It is a step in the right direction though. His "coming out" and supporting same-sex marriages is a big step.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: May 09, 2012 03:58PM

Well considering that this comes at a time when absolutely nothing will be done about the Federal Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA, enacted September 21, 1996) before the election, it is about as empty a gesture as he's ever made...

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 09, 2012 03:39PM

I hear echoes of Bill Clinton.

DADT wasn't popular in Clinton's time, same here.

will ChurchCo fault him for 'Standing For Something'?

Posted by: just a thought ( )
Date: May 09, 2012 03:44PM

Obama strikes me as a man who calculates even move very carefully. This is either a bold move or evidence times are a changing. I'm guessing more of the former than the latter.

Some advice Mitt, I think you may be in an ideological trap. You are looking very flat-footed.

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: May 09, 2012 04:41PM

However calculated and shrewd a move this might be, and for whatever political gain, it will go a ways toward normalizing attitudes of justice and equality.

I'm grateful to both POTUS and VPOTUS this week for saying the right things. Now, if they could DELIVER on their ideals a little more bravely (recognizing that ending DADT and instructing the Justice Department not to defend DOMA were admirable steps in the right direction), I'd be over the moon.

I can't wait to see how Romney digs his heels. There's no way he can win this if he's willing to be seen as King Protector and Preserver of the bigots' preferred way of living. Should be interesting.

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: May 09, 2012 04:42PM

I think you're right about the ideological trap-- Mitt's in check.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: May 09, 2012 04:49PM

Posted by: PeacePrincess ( )
Date: May 09, 2012 03:45PM

Of course, by the time you read this, the Republican Congressional members are already throwing yet another of their little baby tantrums, like they always do EVERYTIME Prez. Obama does ANYTHING at all!

Date: May 09, 2012 03:52PM

I think Obama is playing that card now because:

...even though in reality it is a totally meaningless gesture, he hopes the gay voters he has lost will fall for this last-minute hop off the fence and totally forget that he has back-burnered them, their support, and their $$$ for 3.5 years.

...he knows that, even as Romney has struggled to appear far-right, he has struggled to appear far-left, and that he is way too centrist to be a decent contrast against Romney in a hot election.

How much more would it have helped if he had said this 3.5 years ago! He certainly had nothing to lose back then...

Date: May 09, 2012 04:03PM

I wouldn't call you jaded and cynical. I'd call you a Romney supporter.

Obama totally "back-burnered" gay voters? Totally?

Date: May 09, 2012 04:16PM

LOL! Let me quote Helamonster: "I hate Mittens with the heat of 1000 suns," pretty much sums up my sentiments. OTOH, I don't fall blindly in thrall for any politico who proffers up hollow backroom lies and bland public denials about how much they revere and support their constituents -- ESPECIALLY when it has to do with the LGBT community.

Bill Clinton pulled the same $#!t and I watched all my LGBT friends with total disgust as they fawned over what a Great Friend of the Community he was. PLEASE! Clinton instituted DODT, which caused more lesbians & gays to be ignominiously drummed out of the service in the years it was in effect than in ALL PREVIOUS U.S. military history! Clinton SIGNED DOMA into law! With friends like Clinton, who needed enemies? And frankly, if you haven't been keeping a score card on Obama (I have, BTW) I can see how you might confuse Obama's Democratic presidency with a presidency that actually concerned itself with the LGBT who helped elect it but you would be sadly mistaken: until this very moment, Obama has literally never said one word more in public suport of his LGBT constituents than Mitt Romney has ever uttered. Whether either of them is actually sincere is not part of the equation, since clearly neither of them is.

Date: May 09, 2012 04:28PM

Did Romney support gays in the military like Obama? Yes, Obama talked about his support for the bill. Romney?

Date: May 09, 2012 04:45PM

xyz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> Clinton instituted DODT, which
> caused more lesbians & gays to be ignominiously
> drummed out of the service in the years it was in
> effect than in ALL PREVIOUS U.S. military history!
>
Cite this please.

Date: May 09, 2012 04:47PM

This will get the attention on social issues and off the economy (right where Romney wants and needs it.)

Source, MSNBC--today. Can't remember who said it.

Date: May 09, 2012 04:58PM

Paragraph 14,
"Before the policy was put into place, gay men and lesbians were barred from serving in the military. When he ran for president in 1992, Bill Clinton pledged to change that, but after he was elected, Mr. Clinton had to compromise on “don’t ask, don’t tell,” under which gay soldiers could serve as long as they did not disclose their sexual orientation."
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/30/us/30military.html?_r=1

Here:
Whole article,
"It was 15 years ago, Tuesday, that President Clinton rolled out the policy that came to be known as "Don't Ask, Don't Tell," which relaxed the long-standing bar against gay men and women serving in the U.S. military. While the move was initially hailed as progress for the rights of gays in the military, today many see it as a liability."
http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1707545,00.html

It has been reported that Clinton later regretted signing DADT into law, claiming he was ddeceived by Colin Powell and others. If you believe that I've got a Defense of Marriage Bill that he signed on September 21, 1996 for you. The man's regret apparently knew no bounds.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: May 09, 2012 04:55PM

For a certain departed RFM troll, initials CTK...

Stepped in front of my taxi on an icy street, honest. A lot of the old-timers were witnesses...

Posted by: rgg ( )
Date: May 09, 2012 04:32PM

Mitt on the other hand, evolves backwards.

Posted by: Mateo Pastor ( )
Date: May 09, 2012 04:37PM

This is great news. I know his support is merely symbolic as long as marriage is the remit of the states, but Obama never does anything impulsively. He is now certain it will not cost him votes.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: May 09, 2012 04:48PM

God, that was a terrible time for human rights.

Who releases Doomsday????

That's when you go for impeachment!!!

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: May 09, 2012 04:59PM

I thought he was going to wait until after his re-election to support marriage equality.

But YAY, no matter when a politician "comes out" in favor of equal rights.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.