Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave in Hollywood ( )
Date: May 10, 2012 01:02PM

I could have been this victim at school, or in church. In fact, the bullying I got at church was probably worse than at school.

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-romney-apologies-after-bullying-incidents-in-high-school-revealed-20120510,0,5780513.story

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 10, 2012 01:12PM

He is very good at the mormon non-apology.
"And if anyone was hurt by that or offended, obviously I apologize for that"

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: May 10, 2012 01:23PM

I hate that disingenuous Mormon speak phrase!

"I'm not sorry about my actions. I am only sorry that you are upset, hurt, or offended by my actions." A subtle form of blame the victim.

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: May 10, 2012 01:27PM

IF anyone was hurt??

Mean, abusive people in high school are usually still the same into adulthood. When I look back and remember who the real bullies were in high school and jr. high, and I don't mean those who teased others, but real bullying, the kind of behavior that can haunt a person for years, I can remember exactly who was part of it. It doesn't seem that long ago sometimes.

I need to clarify what I mean by bullying: a gang of about 5 girls who went into the girls' lockerroom during gym class (how did they get out of class to do that? Where was the teacher?) and destroyed my clothes. The same gang of girls who surrounded me one day in 10th grade, inches from my face, telling me how ugly I was, how I shouldn't be at their school, that I was polluting their school, and they should take my flute and shove it... guess. The boy who pinned me against a wall and read part of the Godfather to me about the encounter at a wedding reception between Sonny and a bridesmaid - anyone who's read it would remember. It was very graphic and shocking for an adolescent. THAT is the kind of bullying I mean.

What Romney did to that boy was terrible. Normal people do not do those kinds of things.

But it's interesting to recall also that only one of those people ever showed up at the major HS reunions, the only ones I've been to. I wonder what that says, if anything.

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: May 10, 2012 01:30PM

I have to wonder if the Obama camp had a tip-off this was coming. Their timing couldn't be better for Obama to announce a pro same-sex marriage stance.

Posted by: anon90 ( )
Date: May 10, 2012 01:15PM

Horrible timing for this story to come out. President Obama announced he supports gay marriage. Romney says he doesn't. Now we find out Romney bullied gays in High School.

Posted by: Anon29 ( )
Date: May 10, 2012 01:22PM

of the church, the kid was very lucky it was just locks that were removed.

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: May 10, 2012 01:23PM

Thanks, I had to share this on Facebook. His "apology" would be slightly more believable if he announced his support for gay marriage like Obama just did. (I'm not a Obama supporter)

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: May 10, 2012 01:34PM

Why would I want to see such horrid people as the ones who slammed me into lockers face-first, called me ugly openly in class (and the teacher laughed at that too, and when I hollered that that was unfair, he sent ME to the principal's office!), beat the crap out of me regularly, emptied pencil sharpener shavings into my hair, wrote mean things in my books, and on and on...

That's why when people talk about "the good old days" my gorge rises.

Date: May 10, 2012 01:42PM

They guy who pinned me against the wall. I found out later, no surprise, that I was far from the only girl who'd been traumatized by him. He probably got the cold shoulder from a lot of people, because he didn't stay very long.

I saw one woman about 7 years after I graduated, and it felt GREAT to tell her off. I don't remember what I said, but by then I'd developed some self esteem, and let her have it. It as amazingly freeing. Without her little group, she couldn't do a thing to me. I am woman, hear me roar.

Besides, I'm a purple belt in Tae Kwon Do now. That's an empowering feeling. Of course, it's only supposed to be used for self-defense.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: May 10, 2012 02:50PM

...and one of the worst bullies IM'ed me after seeing my name... He gave me a half-hearted Mitt-pology: "Well, if it upset you..."

"Oh, no, it didn't upset me at all. I love getting she crap beat out of me every day." And then I told him he was obviously unchanged and still a nasty piece of purulent and malodorous infected human excrement. Yeah, I used those words.

He went, "Huh?"

I said, "Look it up, enemabag!"(I think that's way worse than a d-bag; don't you?)

He then said something about how no one ever liked me because I always used all them big old words like I thought I was hot $Ħ!†. I said, "No, YOU are hot $Ħ!†! It smells worse hot!"

And then I blocked him, and after that I quit the stupid Classmates.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: May 10, 2012 03:41PM

but a point of parlimentary procedure...TKD is not the best for self defense...but is good excersize...unless things have changed...you are not allowed to strike the face with a fist or elbow...not exactly good for self defense...but i like that you are purple belt...are you doing jump spin side kicks or tornados? I find in protection instances you will be close to the "perp" so infighting(close quarters) experience is needed...email mail me if you would like...it is my moniker at gmail! sorry to side track the tread a little!
just sayin

oh and I DISLIKE BULLIES BIGTIME!! i was bullied a bit till i outgrew everyone!! :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2012 03:42PM by bignevermo.

The Romney campaign can point out that he displayed leadership at a young age for organizing the posse that tackled the kid and cut his hair. Mitt Romney, a born leader.

I’m a very different person than I was in high school, of course, but I’m glad I learned as much as I did during those high school years,” Romney told Fox News Radio on Thursday. “I’m quite a different guy now. I’m married, have five sons five daughters-in-law and now 18 grandchildren.

How does the ability to procreate excuse that kind of behavior? Having children an be a life altering event, but it doesn't automatically mean you are a different person.

What exactly did you learn, Mitt? Being bigger, richer, and better connected with the powerful the makes everything you do okay?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2012 01:52PM by caedmon.

Date: May 10, 2012 01:44PM

That was a cringe worthy response. Add that to his "if anyone as offended, I apologize." He isn't apologizing. He doesn't think he needed to learn a lesson.

Posted by: Anon29 ( )
Date: May 10, 2012 01:51PM

I often reflect upon my highschool days, in which my immature behavior was at issue. I was wrong, and let me take this moment to set the record straight...

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: May 10, 2012 01:54PM

Thanks for the link, Dave.

Not only was Mitt a bully, he recruited minions to carry out his bullying. Nice work, Dom Romney!

>>>“I’m a very different person than I was in high school, of course, but I’m glad I learned as much as I did during those high school years,” Romney told Fox News Radio on Thursday. “I’m quite a different guy now. I’m married, have five sons five daughters-in-law and now 18 grandchildren.

Really, Mitt? HOW are you different? Getting married doesn't automatically change a person's character. That takes a realization that what you did was wrong. If you knew it was wrong and had changed, did you use your vast resources to contact the guy you terrorized and assaulted and sincerely apologize to him? Yeah, that's what I thought.

>>>“There’s going to be some that want to talk about high school. Well, if you really think that’s important, be my guest.”

Yes, Mitt. I want to talk about it. It was a harbinger of things to come from the adult-bully Mitt who LIKES firing people. I have a visual of President Mitt insisting that male foreign dignitaries attending a State Dinner must don a white shirt and tie. "Tell that freakshow Dalai Lama he can't wear his goshdarn dress to MY White House!"

>>>“And if anyone was hurt by that or offended, obviously I apologize for that."

Mitt can't shake his Mormonism even in his "apology." Offended is Mo-speak for "they're making a big deal out of nothing."

Posted by: Ponti ( )
Date: May 10, 2012 02:39PM

+1000

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: May 10, 2012 01:57PM

Standard narcissistic behavior...never respects other people's feelings.

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: May 10, 2012 01:59PM

-And their sins will be shouted from the rooftops (bible somewhere)

If any were offended, we're sorry (you were offended)..."An Invitation"...(A Patronizing Get-Over-It Not-So-Veiled-Threat Pamphlet That You'd Better).

Posted by: What is Wanted ( )
Date: May 10, 2012 02:01PM

Ole Mitt was about 18 years old and a senior at highschool. The next year he would go on his mission.

He had the means to find his victim and apologize over the years. Of course he never did.

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: May 10, 2012 02:27PM

If he is such as changed man, why didnt he seek out those he "offended" and try to make reparations?

Isnt that what good momo's are supposed to do????

Posted by: AltaRica ( )
Date: May 10, 2012 03:16PM

But you see, you don't need to repent for being a lowlife bully in order to receive your temple blessings and become one of the Lard's full-time servants. Looking at pictures of scantily-clad women is much worse in the eyes of the Lard, and that WILL require you to repent.

Posted by: peglet ( )
Date: May 10, 2012 02:03PM

I was open to giving Romney a shot despite the fact that he's a Mormon, but the more things come out about him the more I cringe.

And amos2 is absolutely correct, "Bullying? That was effing assault".

Posted by: foggy ( )
Date: May 10, 2012 02:13PM

Ugh. The comments of 'he was 16, he was just a kid, give him a break' make me angry.

Seriously? They honestly think that kind of behavior is fine because you're 16? That isn't fine PERIOD.

Did anyone else get the ad for donating to the Romney campaign on the left side? Right...

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: May 10, 2012 02:18PM

Date: May 10, 2012 02:21PM

Mitt has lost a chance to look like a real leader. A real leader would say "What I did was wrong and I am ashamed. I want to encourage those who are victims of bullying to speak out, I encourage anyone who is aware of a bullying situation to speak out."

Date: May 10, 2012 03:47PM

when you make a mistake you have to own it ...apologize for it...relate how it wont happen again...and THEN move on...
at least thats what i learned in my experiences in business and life...heck we all make mistakes...but you need to ownthem..then people will have respect for you...this drivel, i have NO respect for!!
just sayin!!

Posted by: davesnothere ( )
Date: May 10, 2012 02:26PM

Typical Mormon response….no admission of wrong doing….sorry “YOU” were offended, ie Mormon speak for you’re at fault for being offended.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: May 10, 2012 02:27PM

I grew up in a house peopled by assholes like him. What a f**king jagoff.

Completely insincere "apology," too ...of course.

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: May 10, 2012 03:24PM

Yinz from Pittsburgh?

Posted by: peglet ( )
Date: May 10, 2012 03:28PM

I was going to ask the same question! That's some Yinzer speak there. ;-)

Date: May 10, 2012 03:49PM

CHICAGO too...thats where i was working when i first heard it!
freakin jagoff!!

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: May 10, 2012 03:51PM

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: May 10, 2012 02:32PM

I'm not certain where I read this baseball description of Mitt.

He was born on 3rd base and thinks he hit a triple. His "apology" shows he really doesn't get it.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: May 10, 2012 03:26PM

Mitt says he didn't know the kid was gay. I might believe he cut the kids hair because he thought he was a hippie.

Date: May 10, 2012 03:28PM

This whole story smells funny.

Classic dodge: I don't remember it, so maybe it didn't happen. Sorry if you felt any pain or harm.

Translation: Whatever; look at how many kids & grandkids I have! Distract! Redirect!

Looks like Mitt has a long history of getting kicks out of throwing his weight around. Squashing other people must give him quite a rush.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2012 03:32PM by serena.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.