Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Observer ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 02:37AM

How many people have sued the church to get their tithes back? Was it possible before? (there seems to be a disclaimer now). How many have succeed?. I hear of one person that I know, but I don't know if it is only a rumor or if he got his tithes back.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: vicksbestdog ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 02:40AM

I would bet it is a rumor. Can think of no reason a court would rule in the member's favor unless it was some sort of automatic draft from a checking account and the church kept taking it after permission was withdrawn.

Posted by: BahBahBlacki ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 02:41AM

I've seen this topic pop up a few times, but haven't read that anyone was successful in getting their tithing money back.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 02:57AM

Get your titties back? Good luck.

Posted by: slatheredtwice ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 02:53PM

I bet I'd have trouble getting mine back because I didn't get my man boobs until long after I left the mo. Or does that fall under the germaine of "being added upon?"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2012 02:54PM by slatheredtwice.

Posted by: BI ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 04:46AM

Would be nice to know that someone has had success. I find it especially immoral and criminal to take tithing money from children. Before they are even old enough to think for themselves and have had enough life-experience to see through the scam, those rich old creeps steal their money. Are there any other religions that take tithing money from children?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 05:39AM

BI Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are there any other religions that take tithing money from children?

I never heard the word, "tithe" even once growing up Catholic. It just wasn't a part of the vocabulary (and I only ever heard it once, in passing, in a mainstream Protestant church for that matter.)

I seem to remember that once a year we were given little cardboard savings banks that we were to put some coins into. It was never a big deal. I don't remember putting money into the collection basket, but if I did it was a token amount. I would imagine that many Catholic families either make just one family donation or they give their children money to donate to teach them the habit. The concept of kids forking over significant sums of allowance, earnings, or gifts would be foreign to the Catholic church.

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 05:35PM

I was born and raised Catholic.

I remember when I was a little kid, we got a year's worth of donation envelopes at the beginning of the school year, I think, or maybe it was in January.

They were really pretty -- multi colored, especially for children. Adults got a year's worth of envelopes too, but their envelopes were not pretty colors like those they gave us kids.

We were encouraged to donate something, but not pressured to do so. My momma gave me a quarter every week to put in my envelope. And my mom gave some in her envelope too.

But I don't remember any pressure. And I do not remember anybody trying to tell us how much to put in those envelopes. My parents always gave something, but nothing like 10%.

I never heard of something called "tithing" until AFTER I was baptized in TSCC. It was NOT mentioned before I got wet.

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 06:25AM

Check Richard Packham's site where he writes about it. Basically you would have to prove that the cult knows that it is acting fraudulently, according to him.

http://packham.n4m.org/lawsuit.htm

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 03:24PM

What about claiming the church is an 'extortion' racket?

The Cult warns members that it's non tithe payers will be burned. It's easy to prove as it's in the church literature.

Posted by: Laecornell ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 10:56AM

Wondering what you all think of a Romney Presidency? Also, it is striking the way tithing keeps being mentioned. In fact as someone said I have suspected that some denominations are actually criminal rackets. They hide wrong-doing by pastors and constantly thump you over the head with scripture taken out of context and promises that if you give God has to meet your need. Ironically the scam is revealed plainly in LDS. LDS and Islam have very similar genesis if you look carefully at the lives of Muhammad and Smith.

Posted by: John_Lyle ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 02:13PM

Amway tried to push out one of the top three "diamond directs' or whatever they call them.

The defense in the case hired an expert that compared Amway to organized crime.

I can see the similarity, but I don't know how the suit came out.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.