Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nick Humphrey ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 05:35AM

http://unews.utah.edu/news_releases/college-of-law-announces-4-million-gift-for-new-building/

wonder where the money came from? is the church prioritizing building of law buildings over temples now? norway still doesn't have a temple. i'm sure you could build a decent super-mini-temple here for that much money. or how about a bigger one in a really poor country? or how about just helping poor people in general?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2012 05:36AM by Nick Humphrey.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tango-1 ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 07:52AM

Can you show me one LDS homeless shelter? And yet this is what Jesus Christ was all about, helping the poor and needy.

Posted by: myselfagain ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 03:53PM

Tango-1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can you show me one LDS homeless shelter? And yet
> this is what Jesus Christ was all about, helping
> the poor and needy.

Honestly. What a right on point of view. Damn tscc.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 09:46AM

To make them look good, no doubt. I'd call it pandering. Notice how it is about a law school building, "the law" and lawyers being all-important in the LDS church.

No thought toward the poor, as usual. The poor are always an irritant to Mormonism. They need to pull up their socks and quit being poor.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 10:25AM

$4M? The cult spent AT LEAST 375 times that amount to build a shopping center!

$4M isn't going to buy much of a law building, either - Harvard Law School just forked out ~$250M for the Wasserstein Hall, Caspersen Student Center, Clinical Wing project.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 11:02AM

apparently they have No Problem mixing church & state.
things like this ALWAYS buy some influence into policies & practices, subtle or not.

ChurchCo wants to have a choke-hold on Utah, that's the real story.

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 11:20AM

Having just attended my daughter's graduation ceremonies at BYU (her Masters Degree in Chemical Engineering) I can testify to the truthyness of the fact that the ceremony was being used as an opportunity to solicit funds (from Alums/Graduates/membership in general) for the building up and support of the ONE-TRUE-UNIVERSITY, namely BYU and the building of its new Engineering Building.

The speaker (salesman) made it clear that the First Presidency had specifically told them the Church would NOT be providing any funding of any sort and that it would all come from private donations (the spite in the speaker's voice was quite evident which was pretty shocking to this heretic).

And now Nick Humphrey conveys the news that the church DOES support the education of the people -- lawyers, of course, not engineers, cause we all know we have a shortage of good lawyers in the land.

Maybe this has something to do with that other post on RfM about the numbers of BYU-grad lawyers that are having a bit of a problem with their integrity?!?!?

Anyway, interesting info, especially after seeing someone a millimeter (mm) away from speaking evil of the Lard's annointed all from the pulpit of GAWD's TRUE-UNIVERSITY.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 11:35AM

Because the church needs more lawyers!

Date: May 15, 2012 11:48AM

If the commencement/college of engineering thing was/is documented, That outta be SHOUTED FROM ROOF-TOPS vis a vis Utah Law story.

just sayin'

Date: May 15, 2012 11:50AM

weeder, can you document what you said? how about a date for the graduation ceremony and/or the name of the speaker =) yes, guynoirprivateeye, this would be great if we could get that speaker to "testify" of this--especially since he seemed ticked about it =)

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 02:43PM

It wasn't the "commencement" where all BYU grads and family got to hear a GA talk ... I skipped that "blessed event" and felt great about that choice.

It was the graduation for the engineering students held in the Field House in the afternoon (2nd session).

The speaker that offered the "no funding from the church" comments was the final speaker and after Huntsman CEO (non-graduate -- cuz he didn't need no stinkin' diploma to take over Daddy's business) -- Huntsman, btw, was making job offers to the graduating/mastering chemical engineers (that's a short list for anyone seeking my identity).

I'll see what I can find ... date? April 20th.

Date: May 15, 2012 03:03PM

but it only mentions huntsman:
http://www.et.byu.edu/college-convocation-engineering/2012-04-20t000000

i guess the other guy wasn't important enough to be mentioned

Date: May 15, 2012 01:18PM

'Replacement-Renovation- of LDS infrastructure'

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 03:47PM

It's a good investment for them. The LDS church is in need of a continuous source of smart lawyers, and it is getting harder to find smart people at BYU.

Posted by: UofU alumni ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 04:27PM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 03:49PM

Knowing how TSCC operates, I'm sure there were plenty of strings attached.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 05:39PM

I hope the students and faculty write excellent articles in that building on why gay marriage should be legal!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.