Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anony ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 08:25PM

I woke up this morning and all I could think about was my mission and how much I hated it. I felt extremely resentful towards my parents for urging me to serve. I trusted their judgment. I trusted my church leaders.

Maybe I'm depressed, I don't know. I feel like I have no motivation anymore. I have 4 finals in the next 2 weeks and I just can't seem to open a book. I left campus today after being there for only one hour and accomplishing nothing. Then saw the local missionaries on their bikes while driving home. It kind of set me off.

Anyone have advice on how to put all this church BS behind and find motivation?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: FreeAtLast ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 09:48PM

I can empathize with you about the mission experience. Mine was very unpleasant. Despite the needless suffering caused because TSCC sent me to a terrorism-plagued Third World country, there were some positives about the experience. We can choose to step back mentally from our current perspective and think about the past differently. Freedom of mind is the ultimate liberty.

Regarding the chronically dishonest LDS Church, it's been said more than once on this board that the best revenge is living well. I agree.

Concerning your education, I'll repeat the advice that a friend said to me when I complained to him about the constant stress of the academically very difficult program I was in: You can quit, or push through; it's your choice. Although I was 90% ready to throw in the towel, I pushed through - and went on to enjoy a great career.

We can brood on the past for hours or longer, but sooner or later, the bills have to be paid. Life has to be lived - here, in the present moment, not the past.

Perhaps it's time for you to exercise some mental discipline, crack open your books, and get down to studying. Push through, and you'll be glad you did, I'd wager.

Best wishes!

Posted by: Summer ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 10:20PM

...through your student health center. I used the SHC counseling service at times when I was an undergrad, and I thought it was helpful. Exercise can also help with depression, as does getting out into nature for a bit.

As for studying, it's best to treat it like a job. Set reasonable hours, do it, and then let it go. That's how grad students tend to approach it.

Take really frequent breaks as well. Tell yourself that you'll study for 20 or 30 minutes. Then give yourself a 5-10 minute web-surfing or YouTube break as a reward.

Sometimes the hardest thing is just getting started. Crack open that book, and I'm betting that it won't be as hard to keep going as you think it will.

And take comfort in the fact that many students find it hard to keep motivated at the end of a semester. You've been at it for a few months now, and you're tired. So have a strong finish and then enjoy your vacation.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.