Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jazzskeeter ( )
Date: May 19, 2012 02:20AM

A friend posted a link to the church's official statement on homosexuality and received some comments.

A gay Poster:they have been so adamant about being anti gay and now that they are getting called on it they have to act like they should be nice to us, but it is still a sin. But don't worry because in a few years when gay marriage is legal all over country they will say "Oh we were never against gays". Just like now they say they were never racist and don't know why blacks couldn't have the Priesthood." HA!

Jerk (who does not personally know above poster): Its sad to see selective intrepretation of a clear and long-standing doctrine. If your mind is so warped with unfounded hatred for a religion you clearly do not understand, perhaps it would be better to take the official statement at its word rather than look for reasons to justify your own choices.

Gay poster: Being a lesbian is not a choice. I was born this way and have nothing to justify. I am who I am and am proud of it. I was raised Mormon and am sixth generation Mormon. I have been in LDS leadership positions my whole life and taught Gospel Doctrine. It is because I do understand this religion that I can clearly see the hypocrisy. I don't hate the church I am a DNA Mormon. The Church has come around on it's racist history and probably will on the Gay issue too, but it will still be a long time. By the way, when did you choose to be straight?

Jerk: I did not doubt that your history with the church. Oft times the loudest critic's are those that had a testimony of its truthfulness, be it small or large, and have since turned on what they knew to be true. You only see Gospel of Christ as hypocrisy bc that's the narrative that allows you to live guilt free. And despite your experience with church doctrine you have chosen to accept a lie. The church's beliefs and standing on homosexuality have not changed since Christ himself taught it. So to believe that the church will come around is absurd. I truly am sorry, Sister So-and-so, that something happened to drive you away. I wish your understanding and testimony had been stronger at the time Satan got to you. But we all have trials to face in this life that are unique to us individually. Hopefully one day you will one day be ready to come back to the Savior who always waits with open arms. Even though I do not know you personally, I bear no ill will towards you and accept you gladly no matter how you choose to spend your probationary time here on earth.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: May 19, 2012 02:36AM

towards you . . . . [despite wasting your life]].

It always amazes me how people can ooze disdain and superiority, then try to throw in a little bit of sugar at the end. . . and fail even at that.

Posted by: liminal state ( )
Date: May 19, 2012 02:40AM

Jesus wept, "jerk" reeks of narcissism and brainwashing.

I'm glad I left their religious culture before it took my soul.

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: May 19, 2012 02:54AM

All you have to do is let the members speak candidly and poof! you get self-damning drivel like this. FB and YT are full of mormon vigilantes like that just making the church look worse. No wonder the church wants to correlate members' personal statements online by having screened, moderated fora owned by them.

Anyone but a deluded TBM immediately sees the glaring prejudice in "Jerks" statements against another person. She had only criticzed the church as an institution in the context of gay rights, conceding that the church could very well come around to the right answer, and "Jerk" responds with very sharp personal attacks on her.

Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: May 19, 2012 03:00AM

He tried his hardest to be nice, but he came off as an arrogant know-it-all. You just can't BS people who aren't in the cult. That fake "hope all is well" ending shows a frightening level of disingenuity and smugness that a loving person doesn't have.

Posted by: Claire Ferguson ( )
Date: May 19, 2012 03:06AM

Jesus that made my blood boil.

Posted by: Altava ( )
Date: May 19, 2012 03:24AM

So basically the jerk said in that last one "I'm gonna use big words that make me sound like a pretentious idiot but all boil down to just blindly following whatever the church says. Because you don't you will burn in hell. Hope you decide to suddenly become ungay!"

Seriously...HOW DO YOU WRITE THAT COMMENT AND NOT SEE ANYTHING WRONG WITH IT?

Also go the other person. I like that they avoided the "When did you decide to become straight" question.

Posted by: mcindy20 ( )
Date: May 19, 2012 07:07AM

I am a never Mormon who talked to my TBM MIL about the gay topic and the black issue. They sure have some rehearsed way of saying things. I notice that all Mormons answer the same way like a recorded message. She said you can be gay and join the Church as long as you are not practicing the "acts" that go along with being gay. Really? I remember when I first married my inactive husband I never could understand why I never saw any blacks attending church. I said, are Mormons racist? He said there are a few black Mormons but due to the priesthood issue in the past, I can understand why blacks stay away. My in-laws wanted me to join the church so our children would be raised in it. I was open to listen, but the more I challenged and questioned things with my husband and missionaries the more I ran the opposite way. I never can understand why TBM follow this church? I often ask my husband if all Mormons have low self esteem and this is the only thing they have? Correct me if I am wrong.

Posted by: Northern_Lights ( )
Date: May 19, 2012 07:39AM

He writes that the policy on homosexuality has not changed since Christ taught it. When exactly did Christ say anything on the topic.

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: May 19, 2012 08:04AM

I'm interested to learn what Christ had to say on the subject.

Posted by: Taddlywog ( )
Date: May 19, 2012 08:53AM

Posted by: Brefots ( )
Date: May 19, 2012 09:08AM

Since it supposedly was Geezus that wrote the mosaic law. Basically gays (along with the rest of mankind) should be tortured to death! I sooo feel the love...

Posted by: scarecrofromoz ( )
Date: May 19, 2012 10:31AM

He had nothing to say on the subject.

Posted by: FormerLatterClimber ( )
Date: May 19, 2012 12:34PM

+ 1000

Jesus said NOTHING on the matter. What he DID say about marriage is it's better to NOT DO IT AT ALL!

Posted by: Laban's Head ( )
Date: May 19, 2012 10:13AM

Jerk ought to cross-stitch this, frame it and hang it above his sofa!! The when they 'come around' he can gaze it and wonder.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: May 19, 2012 10:28AM

Jerk wrote:
"The church's beliefs and standing on homosexuality have not changed since Christ himself taught it."

What did Christ teach about homosexuality?

Posted by: scarecrofromoz ( )
Date: May 19, 2012 10:34AM

Nothing on the subject itself. The closest would be love others as you love yourself or treat others as you want to be treated.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: May 19, 2012 01:26PM

Yeah, I know. My question was rhetorical. It's amazing that the "sin next to murder" didn't even get mentioned by JC, but he talked a lot about heterosexual sins. Guess straight folks need more religion than we gay folks do.

Regarding the eventual change in the LD$'s position on homosexuality, I fully expect it to happen. And I'd really be glad about it if I believed it were the "only true church on earth" as they claim it is.

But it's not.

Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: May 19, 2012 11:06AM

No to worry - when the church changes it stance on homosexuality (far in the future) it will then be taught that homophobia was not doctrine, just "folklore" believed some past mormons.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: May 19, 2012 12:58PM

Ask him if he believes the Book of Mormon was written by ancient prophets.

Posted by: danboyle ( )
Date: May 19, 2012 01:37PM

these bible quoters, who use the bible to justify their wacky beliefs should do one thing: READ THE BIBLE, and this time, PAY ATTENTION to what it says.

If you think the bible justifies discriminating against gays, just wait till you read about how to treat women, children, unbelievers, shell fish eaters, and sabbath breakers. Oh, and don't forget the prophet who called out a bear to eat all the children who made fun of his bald head. Lot, getting drunk and sleeping with his daughters, is another fine example of OT prophet's actions...all justified in god's name.

The only clowns who quote the bible are the ones who have not read it.

Posted by: PUNKKID ( )
Date: May 19, 2012 08:56PM

'The church's beliefs and standing on homosexuality have not changed since Christ himself taught it'
-I Laughed for 5 minutes. THAT IS HILARIOUS! love everyone,jesus man!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.