Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Birdie ( )
Date: May 19, 2012 06:42PM

Came home from dinner last night and a bouquet of flowers was on my doorstep, inside my iron gated courtyard. An index card was placed inside the wrapping, with a handwritten "Happy Birthday" and no signature/name. Flowers were on clearance (75% off!) and marked "Mother's Day Bouquet".

My neighbors and I are friendly, but not enough to know my birthday is next week. My co-workers do not live near enough to drop by. Family celebration is next week. Friends would sign their names.

Am I paranoid to think this was Mormons? I am slightly creeped out by this.....

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Calypso ( )
Date: May 19, 2012 06:47PM

Maybe but mormons usually write their name down, or include a scripture or something, I've noticed they like to be recognized for their good deeds.

Date: May 19, 2012 06:51PM

No one I know would do this. I am a very private person. I can't think of anyone else who would know it's my birthday. Even though I have made it clear I'm not mormon anymore, the local ward will still send a birthday card every year. But that is signed "The Relief Society". It never has a scripture in it, though....

Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: May 20, 2012 09:02AM

Maybe it's just your run-of-the-mill secret admirer....

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 19, 2012 06:59PM

Weird, isn't it?

As if this creepy behavior would endear anyone to a cultish organization. This would make many of us feel we were being targeted by an unsavory stalker-type or at least by someone with poorly developed social skills.

How rude to drop of bargain flowers with the mark down notice still attached and no name tag.

Date: May 19, 2012 07:25PM

If it had been something more....tactful, I suppose, I admit I wouldn't have jumped to my local ward.

Which I have never attended, BTW.

Date: May 20, 2012 06:42AM

I never attended the local ward where I live and they showed up, phoned, and mailed me "invitations" off and on for over 25 years. At least I knew this unwanted attention came from mormons and was able to document it and evtually get help from the police.

I'm wondering if they'll still send you a birthday card and take credit for the wilted cut rate flowers or if they'll keep you hanging.

Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: May 20, 2012 09:34AM

"I never attended the local ward where I live and they showed up, phoned, and mailed me "invitations" off and on for over 25 years. At least I knew this unwanted attention came from mormons and was able to document it and evtually get help from the police."

Had you already resigned when this happened?

Date: May 20, 2012 10:37AM

Then for a long time I didn't know that it had been introduced as an option. They eventually claimed I'd "asked to have my name removed," which was a lie. But even after I was officially out, I had some sporatic contact.

Hosing the mishies pretty much stopped it. FINALLY!

Posted by: not registered ( )
Date: May 19, 2012 07:05PM

File a police report about a stalker leaving you gifts. If it's not signed, with absolutely no message, it's not from someone you know personally, and it could be a stalker--mormon or not. In the future if you get more unsigned "gifts" like this, or it escalates, this will help you get a restraining order if it's ever needed.

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: May 20, 2012 08:58AM

Was that iron, gated courtyard area locked--or can just anyone push in the unlocked gate, and waltz up to your front door?

If the former---call the police. They climbed the gate or picked the lock.

If the latter---get a lock and install one. They'll be back.

Posted by: jen ( )
Date: May 20, 2012 09:19AM

We have moved 4 times in the 9 years since leaving the church. Each time a sister page thingy for the month (forget what they're called) beats my forwarded mail! My "new ward sisters" know my every move it seems. I sent the last one back written very "colorfully." In short it said "send me one more letter and it will be your last."

Posted by: jen ( )
Date: May 20, 2012 09:20AM

My front door has a sign I made that says:

ABSOLUTELY!
NO SOLICITING!!

NO WITNESSING!!!

NO BOOK OF MORMON!!!!

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: May 20, 2012 10:41AM

Post a note in your local freebie newspaper:

"To the secret admirer who left flowers on my porch on Wisteria Lane: Next time please leave money. I detest flowers from strangers. "

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.