Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lbenni ( )
Date: May 19, 2012 09:20PM

anyone done online dating successfully?...any tips?...horror stories??

free vs $$$

thanks..

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: StiffNekid ( )
Date: May 19, 2012 09:51PM

Don't do it. You're bound to meet some of the nasty rejects of society. Who knows? You could even meet me.

Posted by: anonincali ( )
Date: May 19, 2012 09:53PM

Are you male or female?

Date: May 19, 2012 10:00PM

First tell me why it matters if I am male or female

Posted by: Anon4this ( )
Date: May 19, 2012 10:02PM

I'm getting married to a man I met on the Internet this year.

Date: May 19, 2012 10:07PM

Anon4this Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm getting married to a man I met on the Internet
> this year.

so...how much time do I need to invest to weed out the " rejects" from the " diamonds in the rough" and get a good man? ( assuming I am female) ( which I am)

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: May 19, 2012 10:11PM

As long as it takes. My daughter met several guys online. They weren't bad guys, they just weren't for her.

She is now engaged to her next door neighbor. They are getting married june 2013.

I have 2 friends that met their husbands online. They've both been married for about 5 years, and seem very happy. They were both i their 40's when they got married.

edit: I forgot to say, my daughter will be 30 when she marries, for the first, and I hope the last time. He's quite the catch. Patience has paid off for her.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2012 10:16PM by Mia.

Posted by: MexMom ( )
Date: May 19, 2012 10:05PM

1/2 of my friends that have met on line, good matches, half, really bad. (I'm married so I don't have any personal experience to relate.)

One friend is happily married and found her perfect match.

Worth a try? Good luck to you with big hugs from this MexMom!

Posted by: Elaine Dalton ( )
Date: May 19, 2012 10:09PM

Ok decided to admit my lameness and go unanon as posted above.
I did meet my fiancé on eharmony, personally i wouldn't recommend it, I met him on the first day I had it then never used it again. Secondly, depending on how you go about it you could end up being in a very long distance relationship like I am (UK and US) which as much I adore him, sucks.
There should be less stigma these days, obviously there are some weirdos but there are also normal people looking for dates who maybe don't have the time or aren't often in situations where they'd find someone.

Posted by: Calypso ( )
Date: May 19, 2012 10:20PM

You guys are officially engaged?!! That is so exciting, he's a total babe!!

My mom met her husband online, my auntie met her husband online, my brother met his wife online and my best friend met her boyfriend online. I definitely think it works for some people you just have to be smart about it...definitely be cautious when dealing with people online. As far as first dates go, only agree to meet at a public place where there are plenty of people around!

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: May 19, 2012 10:27PM

The other person you meet online, is well another person.

About the only thing you can definitely say about someone you meet online is they are technically savy enough to get online.

IMO, women have it best because from what I understand a lot more men advertise online so women have a lot to pick from.

Of course it's pretty easy to pretend like the person they are is different than who they really are online. So it's probably a good idea to be a little more cautious for the first couple of dates at least.

Posted by: foundoubt ( )
Date: May 19, 2012 10:32PM

I met my current through Match.com. It worked well for us. We met just before Valentines Day, 2004. Our first date was on Valentines Day, and we got married on the 24th of Feb 2005. To be honest, this has been the best seven years I've ever had. So, to answer your question, it was a real success for me and her. I don't know about other people, but its all good for us.

Posted by: BahBahBlacki ( )
Date: May 19, 2012 10:44PM

I met my first boyfriend on an online game, and his friend knew a friend if mine and despite living states apart we met up a few times. I still love him but things went sour when the churh foiled us. My peers pressured me to the point if breaking down, and boyfriend became a high head after joining the church. He's on his mission now(we are not together) and I left the church, and he has no idea lol.

Few months ago I tried a saying site. Met two aweful guys that wanted nothing more than my luscious body. I had to run from both. I haven't tried again since then. Doesn't help I don't exactly live in a good area....

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: May 19, 2012 10:48PM

My fault it didn't work out. Still grieving over the loss. We actually met in person once.

I think the internet can be a legitimate route to a serious relationship. You get to know a lot about a person during 3:00 a.m. IM's.

Take your time and be very, very careful.

;o)

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: May 19, 2012 10:52PM

I met my husband in a chat room 13 years ago. We'll celebrate 10 years in November.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: May 19, 2012 11:09PM

I met my husband in a bar, 21 years ago.

His sister owned the bar, he was there visiting with her. I was on my way home from meeting with my divorce attorney. You just never know.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: May 19, 2012 11:12PM

Posted by: Altava ( )
Date: May 19, 2012 11:14PM

I recently tried OKCupid. I met a really nice guy and we started dating recently. I understand that it's not for everyone, infact I was sure it wasn't gonna work for me, but so far so good. :)

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: May 19, 2012 11:21PM

I use online dating quite a bit, but I haven't really found much of what I am looking for. You might get lucky and find someone you can love, or you might just get "lucky."

Dating in general kind of sucks, online or not.

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: May 19, 2012 11:38PM

When I was young, I used to LOVE reading personals, trying to spot euphemisms, etc. I used to look forward to the weekly local's (New Times) release date to see the new personals. Then I found match.com and I could MATCH the person up to the potential euphemisms. It was never a dating interest, just interest in the culture of personal ads. This as when Match unewly launched, maybe early-mid '90s. Funny thing happened, I actually decided I wanted meet some of the people on there. I became one of Match's inagural members (I can't believe I admitted that - this was WAY before online dating was mainstream and considered normal). I never met anyone special on my first go-arounds, but I'd always go back to match in a dry spell, or on the rebound (nothing takes your mind off of a breakup like a dating buffet). So maybe 8 years after I first found match, I met a guy with whom I spent the next 4 years (he turned out to be a massive creep, but that's not Match's fault). Several of my close friends met their spouses on match, too. I'd never use match now, I think it's past its peak.

I would use OKCupid, and many, many people I know met their spouses or SOs there. In fact, my last boyfriend (met playing scrabble on facebook, actually, we were together for over a year) met his new girlfriend on OKCupid.

What I wouldn't use is eharmony. One of the purposes of their 50 point screening or whatever they call it is to weed out agnostics and atheists, apparently we're not dating material. Also appreciation for sarcasm makes you less datable. I have 4 friends, a mix of men and women, who were literally told that they had zero prospects on eharmony for those exact reasons.

One thing about online dating though... finding someone who actually looks like their picture is nearly as rare as finding a unicorn (this is less of an issue for people in their 20s and early 30s, I think). I've only experienced this twice (seriously, men, if you've lost your hair, post a recent pic, not one when your hair fit into a ponytail - that's just an example), but I have a friend who recently started online dating and I don't think his situation is unique to men in their mid to late 30s and beyond. Out of 10 dates, NONE of the women looked like thier pictures, all were at least 10 years older than their pics, likely the pics were taken before they had kids. They were also, according to him, at least 30+ lbs heavier than their pics. He said it wouldn't have been a dealbreaker if he was able to make a choice based on a real picture, but he felt like it was sleazy to pretend one thing and then present another. He always wondered "how did she think I would not notice"

Anyway, all that aside, if you're not dating anyone and don't have many pospects to meet, give it a try, just don't put too much stock in it. The "all you can eat buffet" nature of online dating means that most people have several dates lined up, and might not be ready to "pick" someone because there's always a new match alert each day. That makes it hard, emotionally, if you are too invested.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: May 20, 2012 01:43PM

They are just doing an inventory of your attitudes. It could very well be that there are very few others on eHarmony who share your views in this area.
I wouldn't call it weeding out, but perhaps you do make a good point that atheists/agnostics will not find that population very promising.

Date: May 20, 2012 01:51PM

I think the word people are looking for is "satire" or "irony". "Sarcasm" is a cruel and insulting form of humor -- at the expense of another person. I find that people who enjoy sarcasm only enjoy dishing it out, but don't enjoy being on the receiving end.

Posted by: scarecrofromoz ( )
Date: May 20, 2012 02:04PM

I've seen a lot of women use the "bait and switch" routine on their pictures. In their profile picture they look about 40 and then in other pictures they look more like their real age of in their 50s.

I've been on a few dates, and they all looked like their pictures. Maybe because I've consciousally weeded out the ones that have one date-stamped picture years old (or they are in their 50s and they use their high school grauation picture as their only picture). Some date their pictures in their captions, so you can see ones from current to a couple years ago.

Posted by: Utah County Mom ( )
Date: May 19, 2012 11:47PM

As long as you're smart about who you meet and HOW you meet them, you might be pleasantly surprised. One of my brothers back in the Midwest was in his early 40s, still not married, and wanting to be. (Trust me, he's a GOOD guy, sweet, funny, intelligent . . ). He was in our pokey hometown of 28,000 and not really meeting anyone. He tried out a local singles board--and met a wondeful woman (I just love her), educated like him, who was in her late 30s. They eventually married and have a beautiful child.

It can work!

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: May 20, 2012 12:45AM

I've never 'online dated' but some of my bestest friends I've met via online - forums, blogs and whatnot. Top notch friends!

Posted by: Must B. Anon ( )
Date: May 20, 2012 02:17AM

First post...nervous...

I'm female and partook of the circus freakshow known as LDSSingles.com!

Me:Divorced, mid-30's, no kids, temple-worthy. I attracted some whoppers---all with some kind of major mental illness or personality disorders. I actually ended up engaged to a 30-something never-married, VIRGIN, temple worker (really long, strange story). I did not get married in the end.

The ones I did NOT get engaged to: A divorced convert from Judaeism
-A divorced dude with quite a bit of money and grown kids that somehow took pride in showing me photo albums of what a great job the cosmetic surgeon had done on his EX-wife
-A bipolar not-quite-divorced guy with younger kids and an absolutely psycho estranged TBM wife, not unlike many I have read about on RfM whilst lurking...

It's SCARY out there!

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: May 20, 2012 07:55AM

1 in 5 US adults now marries a person they first met online. Not necessarily via a dating site, but thru chat rooms, charity org event planning or news discussion groups--and maybe even sites like this one?

I don't know if anyone's done a study to see if these are mostly first-time marriages, or second-times-around--or if these marriages have a better track record than those between people who first meet and marry IRL.

I know 2 women who dated men they first met online; one via a dating website geared to professionals in the city we all lived in; another via a BDSM BBS. Yessssh, you read that right. Those two lived in different states at the time they "met" online.

Both couples married. Both couples have women much older than the men. All were professionals with jobs when they met up. 3 of the 4 owned their houses when they met, too--but that's because they were all older, to begin with. One lady had been married once and divorced a long time before the online meetup. The other lady had a live-in fiance prior (about a year before). The men in these scenarios, while they both had had long term romances as adults, had never had live-ins, or ever been engaged.

Both marriages doing well, as far as I know.

First couple has been married since 2006. They have a lot of common interests: gambling/Vegas trips, travel, music, reading, dancing, eating out, cooking, independent films, gardening, etc.

The second pair has been married since 1999. I hear they are doing well, too, though in the early days it was a very volatile relationship, at least as I witnessed it thru my POV of being a peripheral, friend-of-a-friend.

Apparently they still do the BDSM club thing. They also love films, books, art, photography, nightclubbing, and tattoos. I guess it helps to have common interests, even if one of those common interests is BDSM! And cats. They both like cats-- A LOT.

2 out of 2 ain't bad!

My advice? Use caution when meeting up and for a good while afterwards, too. Make sure your friends meet them, or your coworkers do, even if casually, briefly, publicly, and that your first few dates are in groups or highly public places.

Meet out at the date place, too. Don't have him or her come to your home for awhile, until you get to know them, see how they handle drinking (if they do drink), and figure out if you really have something in common, or if it looks like this thing is a good or bad idea.

And trust your instincts: if the meetups don't go well, or there is something, however small, making you nervous; if you wonder if something is up with them, then be doubly alert. Tell someone you trust about that "iffy" feeling or thing, and either break things off right away, and also stay public with any other meet ups, to stay safe.

Both of these ladies dated online before, so they knew the drill.

FYI: It took awhile to find the right one for them. In each case, they dated guys who said they were single but were actually married; who had kids though they had said they did not, and also met some pretty weird, 'off' specimens of manliness along the way. Quite a few guys were a lot less like their pics than would be believed! I guess that probably also works in reverse, for ladies, too. One guy was almost 100lbs heavier than he said he was; she was in total shock when he showed up looking that way. Nothing against heavy people, I don't think--it was that she wasn't expecting it, and also he had lied.

I, personally, if I had to start dating again, would probably just do things as before: rely on a friend's introduction, meet via work or at a volunteer job, at a library event, a concert, etc. I might try speed-dating before online dating. My friend recently wen on his 5th date with the same lady, after first meeting her while speed dating.

I like face-to-face interaction and conversation, and being able to guage someone's body language. Skyping before a first date? Yes. Blind dates, set up by friends? Yes, yes, yes! It's how I first met my husband, in 1994; we're happily married, with a child, today.

Date: May 20, 2012 12:34PM

what is BDSM BBS?

Date: May 20, 2012 01:40PM

BDSM = Bondage Discipline Sado Masochism
BBS = Bulletin Board Service

Date: May 20, 2012 01:38PM

after meeting through online dating sites, including Match.com.
Nothing wrong with it, but I have no details or advice to give.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: May 20, 2012 02:24PM

Doesn't seem very special to meet that way. If you werent picked it would be someone else. Like shopping for cars. Some people like it. I wouldn't.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.