Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: stuck ( )
Date: May 21, 2012 03:19AM

I am looking for a church that really focuses on Biblical teachings but will not come bug the crap out of you if you decide not to come back. I have never been to another church and since I have been married (dh is a nevermo), I have become semi active. I realized over the past few months that they dont really focus on Jesus or Biblical teachings. My husband wants to go to church IF we do not go to the mormon church. Any thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: officer ( )
Date: May 21, 2012 03:29AM

They have an area in the back where you can stand up if your late. I thought it was great how i did not have to shake 500 peoples hands and the people didnt bother me.I attened a methodist church and they were even worse then the mormons being fake friendly people who wanted to know everything about you. Try catholics.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: May 21, 2012 08:33PM

Never went to a Methodist church like that. The few I have attended never bug people. Never. Sorry you had to deal with 1,000 questions. That of course is not the general rule for Methodists. Oh and by the way, they love pot lucks.

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: May 21, 2012 04:27AM

Our family has been pleased with the several Calvary Chapels we've attended. Most of them just teach directly through the Bible verse by verse each week. And many are so big that you can easily remain anonymous to start and join smaller groups later if you want to build relationships. You can see if you have one in your community here: http://ccofministry.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=85&Itemid=107

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 21, 2012 12:13PM

Call up some of the pastors of local churches and have a one on one chat or make an appointment to talk in person. Find out from the pastor what their emphasis is and what their goals are.

Then attend a few churches for a few times to find out what you like.
Do you want a small congregation or a large one? When do you want to attend? Time of day? Do you want to go to weekly meetings? Do you want to sing in the choir?
All of these choices are available to you.

I highly recommend seeing the pastor first, though.

Posted by: allwhowander ( )
Date: May 21, 2012 12:18PM

After leaving mormonism I also looked for a biblical church. I
found with many you can just show up for services in whatever dress you like. People tend to welcome you and then leave you alone and you can get involved to the degree you want.

When people would welcome me I would just tell them we were shopping around for churches and most were fine with that. We found one we really enjoyed for a few years, until I decided any church was not for me.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: May 21, 2012 12:29PM

... try this:

http://www.beerchurch.com/

Works for me!

Timothy

Posted by: seeker1 ( )
Date: May 21, 2012 04:18PM

Best wishes with your search!

You may consider asking a local food bank or other service organization about which churches are most generous and giving toward the community. They are usually the warmest congregations.

I've found a great non-denominational church that gives much help to the hurting, as well as regular folks.

God bless you with your desires!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 21, 2012 04:33PM

My first church after MoMism was with the Mennonites.

'Come as You Are, (perhaps) leave just a little Better'

Mennos are a Christ-centered people who are strictly anti-violence, anti-war.

Unfortunately, they're not found in all major locations.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: May 21, 2012 05:19PM

Use the internet. Most churches have websites.When you find one that is interesting, visit. If you are really interested,, take your questions to the pastor. If you gave more information, that would help. Do you like ritual or not, what type of music and worship service do you like, are you a liberal of conservative and are you a Biblical literalist? Churches run the gamut and there is no point wasting your tie with churches you are not going to like.

Posted by: glass-3/4 full ( )
Date: May 21, 2012 09:21PM

Yep. Check their websites. Then visit...more than once. I attend a small United Methodist Church and it's very friendly, but not pushy AND they have a Latte' stand in the the fellowship hall. We have two pastors (one man one woman). Keep looking till you find what you are looking for. It is a process. You don't have to throw ALL faith based organizations out the window because you have been lied to by one.

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: May 21, 2012 09:29PM

I gotta say that after attending my fair share of pot lucks, there are some Baptist churches in the south that can provide such amazing ribs to cause even the staunchest atheist to realize there must be a God.

Posted by: BYUAlumnuts ( )
Date: May 21, 2012 05:27PM

Well, if you live in the area, you might try the Fellowship Bible Church on State Street in Lindon, UT.

We don't go to any church, but we went there to see Adam's Road last year. It and the people seemed very nice, and although it was our first time in the building, and we had to be strangers to everyone, not a single person bugged us. It seems to be very bible oriented and the pastor is young and very nice also.

Here's their website:
http://fbclindon.org/

Posted by: Robin ( )
Date: May 21, 2012 06:41PM

The Lutheran Church Missouri Synod (LCMS) is more strict than the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America (ELCA).

Posted by: stang99_tls ( )
Date: May 22, 2012 02:08PM

WELS is even stricter than LCMS. Depending on where in the US you are some LCMS are more liberal than others.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: May 21, 2012 08:29PM

Try several- Methodist, Lutheran ( has both liberal and conservative ), Presbyterian, Baptist, etc. Most do not bug you. My Methodist surely does not. You come and go as you please. You may get one thing in the mail if you let them know that first vist that you are a newcomer. That is all. It is just info about their services, projects, meetings, camps, kids programs, etc. Try several and don't go just once. YOU will find a fit and it is really easy to skip a few wks. and then go back when you want to.

No one forces you to tithe any amt. You can put your name in for envelopes each wk. so you have an accounting for taxes at the end of the yr. But it is not required. Good luck to you. Hope you are successful in your search. Oh, and if you don't want to talk to a soul, you don't have to. Nobody cars, and nobody will be whispering about you. I think we have 20 visitors each wk. at our church and I wouldn't know one from the other if they came back 4 wks. in a row.

Posted by: just me ( )
Date: May 21, 2012 08:34PM

We attend a large church (5000+ members) and love it. Enough variety that you can choose where you would like to serve, adult & youth programs are strong, the pastors are well educated and competent. It is easy to disappear or be really involved. And they don't build malls.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: May 21, 2012 08:37PM

I have attended a number of mainline Protestant churches, Catholic churches and even a Pentecostal church. I have never been bothered , contacted or fawned over.It may happen occasionally, but it isn't the norm.

If you are worriedabout that, you can always visit a larger church where chances are, no one will even notice you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2012 08:37PM by bona dea.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: May 21, 2012 08:39PM

I like the beliefs of the Episcopal church and how open-minded they are. At least the local church here. There are a couple of other ex-Mormons in the group, which is nice. The only thing I don't like is that it's a small congregation and I'm more the type to blend in to a 5000 plus member church. I prefer to watch and listen but at the Episcopal church near us, a visitor sticks out like a sore thumb. Other than that, I really enjoy the people, services and the fact the rector is a woman.

Posted by: templenameaaron ( )
Date: May 21, 2012 09:12PM

Fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me. IMHO after 30 + years of mormonism, all religion is horseshit. Make up your own its much better that way.

Posted by: alex71ut ( )
Date: May 22, 2012 01:00AM

Basically we'd go around insulting all the wackos who think the world took 8 or more calendar days to create when God's only true word as revealed to King James says it took just 6 days. Our children's organization would use Elisha's she-bear as its mascot in order to lovingly remind the kids not to make fun of a prophet. Would you believe that some of these wackos hate God's only true word so much that they think the earth is older than 6013 years? Some of these fools even make fun of the Bible believers for believing in the scientific fact that Noah had a wooden ark for 2 termites, 2 woodpeckers, 2 skunks, and 2 of every kind of other species. And they even mock the sacred event in history when the responsible honorable righteous Abraham kicked Hagar and Ishmael out of his household into the desert so everything he had could go to Isaac. Just what would they say if another Jonah got swallowed by a whale. Thank God for such a clear true and only true book of scripture.

Posted by: Grits ( )
Date: May 22, 2012 10:10AM

I definitely recommend looking at websites. Look for a copy of the church calendar or the news letter. Look for what the church is doing outside their walls. Meaning they are serving the needs of community. Look for small groups with different interests within the church. Our little Lutheran church of about 100 has a women's group, a men's group, a hiking group, a fellowship group, a couple Bible studies that meet in homes,etc. And talking to the pastor is definitely a good idea. Good luck. I know many on this site are against organized religion of any kind, but we are all different and some of us benefit from the hope and support offered from a church family. Hope you find what works for both of you.

Posted by: nerdherd ( )
Date: May 22, 2012 11:22AM

Where in general are you located?

Posted by: southerngal ( )
Date: May 22, 2012 01:41PM

Never, ever saw a Methodist church like that. I was raised Catholic, but now I'm Baptist. I split my time between two churches, I like both pastors but I'm not a member of either church. There's no pressure about how much tithing to give (if any); you don't have to join any groups or volunteer, nothing is mandatory. No one bothers you, no one comes unannounced on your doorstep, you or your family are not shunned if you decide not to attend their church.

I agree with Grits commentary too. I

Posted by: Apple ( )
Date: May 22, 2012 01:57PM

Even though I am a nevermo, I have also looked for a new church a couple of times. It helps to know what the denominations teach and their doctrine by researching each individual denomination. Then check out the websites of the local ones of the denominations that interest you. Many people who are looking for a "bible-based" church find compatibility with one of the growing number of non-denominational churches as well.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.