Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 22, 2012 07:56PM

citizens have a 'right' to carry a non-concealed weapon, without a permit.

I once saw a dude (taxi driver) packing in SM (now "Worship Service???). I had a young wife, young children, and I went to the Bp & objected. I believe he talked the guy into a different choice-decision.

Has anyone else seen an 'attendee' (member/non-member) packing heat in church?

what happened, I wonder

NO, I'm not referring to a Peace Officer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mav ( )
Date: May 22, 2012 08:06PM

Posted by: regularguy ( )
Date: May 22, 2012 08:37PM

Concealed carry in church = Yes

Open carry in church = No

IMHO, Open carry = "Look at me"

Posted by: othersteve ( )
Date: May 23, 2012 02:12AM

regularguy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Concealed carry in church = Yes
>
> Open carry in church = No
>
>
> IMHO, Open carry = "Look at me"

I'm not sure about other states, but in Utah I don't think the LDS church allows concealed carry either. They're the only church in Utah that specifically prohibits it.

http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/CFchurch.html

"Per state statute, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints made public notice on January 27, 2012 in the Salt Lake Tribune and Deseret News of their intent to prohibit firearms."

As far as I know, the list maintained by the BCI is primarily for concealed firearm permit holders, although it must apply to open carry as well.

Posted by: C ( )
Date: January 01, 2013 11:37AM

It appears that ONLY the LDS church uses this exception ( to only post in newspapers versus having to post signs forbidding weapons like businesses have too) and I believe that they should have to follow everyone else in having to post a sign. Seems like they are hiding by this exception and not stir controversy. Either post a sign like everyone else or don't. I disagree that only they get this exception.

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: January 01, 2013 07:04PM

Otherwise you would know that LD$,Inc. does not have to play by the same rules as everybody else there. The law is deliberately written to keep The Corporation happy.

Posted by: C ( )
Date: January 03, 2013 12:49PM

You are correct. I am not from UT, but I live here now. My wife's brother is a Bishop and his counselor is a body guard for one of the leaders and he is allowed to carry a gun. He is not current or past law enforcement or military. What a bunch of hypocrites! They should have to play by the same rules as everyone else. Post a sign if you don't want guns on your property like other places and having armed body guards needs to be publicized as Hypocrisy.

Posted by: Robin ( )
Date: May 22, 2012 08:51PM

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: January 01, 2013 08:10PM

That is bloody hilarious. A special second ammendment for martyr types.

Posted by: pamarnold ( )
Date: May 22, 2012 08:49PM

My husband could conceal to carry in VA, but unfortunately he cannot in IL. I always felt safer with that weapon in his holster. This was when the attack at Old Dominion happened and several students were killed on campus. There are some very disturbed people out there. It is always good to have a professional carry a weapon to protect those who cannot protect themselves. I often think that if someone had a gun when Gabrielle Giffords was shot, maybe that disturbed kid wouldn't have killed or injured so many.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: May 23, 2012 05:22AM

As I recall, someone did have a gun. They drew their gun and almost shot the wrong person. Then they put it away because they did not want someone else to accidentally shoot them.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/human_nature/2011/01/friendly_firearms.html

Posted by: pamarnold ( )
Date: May 23, 2012 06:40AM

Hey...I had not heard that. I am still for gun rights, but I am very glad that kid did not shoot the one wrong person. Whew!

Date: May 22, 2012 09:04PM

yeah, but what about outside Ew-tah?

I don't believe Washington has such a statute (not that there would 'Have To Be' one).

Posted by: vulturetamer ( )
Date: May 23, 2012 01:32AM

Ha! How funny. I have first hand knowledge of a former ward member who conceal-carried every.single.week. he was/is kind of a pompous arse. My ex used to give him a friendly pat down around the back, as he shook his hand...on purpose to try to get his goat. I'm not totally sure which I found more disturbing. Anyway, this is CA.

At the time he served as the ward clerk. I guess if anyone was going to pack, then it should be the dude dropping the cash in the depository.

Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: May 23, 2012 02:15AM

I do not like the idea of religiously indoctrinated people carrying firearms in a public space in the United States.

Date: May 23, 2012 02:36AM

I doubt if much cash is being exchanged these days; don't they require that 2 or more people go?

IDK, but if ChurchCo doesn't accept plastic now, Im somewhat surprised.

Posted by: footdoc ( )
Date: May 23, 2012 08:52AM

The Church prohibits/discourages it, not too loudly though for fear of offending. The thing is, without the appropriate signs up and a vocal statement against carrying, they can't enforce it legally. After some of the church shootings at other churches a few years ago, I started carrying to church, just in case. I have a permit and legally would have been within my rights since the church does not have a standard no firearms sign posted.

The thing about carrying properly is that no one except you should know. If your firearms is visible, you fail. If you open your fat mouth to tell everyone what a badass you are for carrying, you fail.

Posted by: nomilk ( )
Date: May 23, 2012 09:10AM

It may differ from ward to ward, but I've seen several men carry (under a jacket).

It's not too hard to get a concel permit in Texas.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: January 01, 2013 03:05PM

Christopher Hitchens made the point that he would be more afraid of group of men following him after coming out of a church than the same men coming out of a bar.

Imagine them coming out carrying heat.

They could decide that since Israel attacked Syria, it's Armageddon time. And there you are, well-known apostate whose very existence is an offense to God. Hmmm. He could just shoot you and then they could rebaptize you posthumously. Then you'd be on the right side when Jesus comes to separate the wheat.

He's done you a bloomin' favor!

Anagrammy

*Logic courtesy of Brigham Young

Posted by: vulturetamer ( )
Date: January 01, 2013 04:47PM

So Cal chiming in: a former member of the ward was not law enforcement himself (father was a Sheriff, however) conceal-carried every week.

He got made fun of......a lot, both in private, and in front of the guy.

My ex used to give him a friendly handshake and a back "pat"/rub down on purpose, so he could tell all his friends that brother so-so was "packin".

(I know......I was married to a rubber. Add that to the list of reasons why he's my ex.)

I admit that I thought it was silly back then that the guy carried, especially since he was kind of arrogant IMO (sat almost in front every week, seemingly waiting for something to go down). But in light of recent events, I think any congregation without security, are potential sitting ducks.

Bottom line.....our bishop knew, never said anything to him that I know of.

Posted by: BluidyClavers ( )
Date: January 01, 2013 07:34PM

It is correct that the Utah LDS congregations prohibit concealed carry. I have a friend back east (Bible Belt) who is on the high council who said that his bishop encourages him and 2 others in the ward to carry concealed because of death threats against church members from (unhinged) born again Christians. And when he visits others wards (I think the stake covers a very large area of the state) this high councilman is always carrying. Different rules for those outside Utah, or perhaps the bishop wisely ignores the stated rules.

Posted by: Anon 4 This ( )
Date: January 01, 2013 08:43PM

I was a ward clerk. It was so dark in the parking lot at night, grotesque with the jute walls, and creepy being in the building alone at night. I was not allowed to bring my gun into the building. I did not do so. I changed my schedule so I did not have to go there at night.

You cannot carry inside an LDS building unless you are employed in a field that utilizes guns. Those in Texas that I know who carry are law enforcement members whom can carry inside a church regardless of whether it is posted or not.

Being asked to carry IMO by an LDS bishop is at his personal request and not sanctioned by SLC.

LDS church has made it known that normal members cannot carry on its premiss even though it has not posted it on a sign visible from the exterior near each entrance which is, technically, required by law.

The Baptist churches down south are a different story: One Baptist church in Chattanooga has all of its deacons carry on Sundays. I visited a Baptist church over the holidays with my aunt where the pastor carried on Wednesday evenings and remained within the lobby.

The pastor at the church where I attend is licensed to carry. Several of us carry and can carry inside the church any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Hope this helps.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 02, 2013 12:22AM

There's an FBI agent in my sisters ward that always carries a concealed weapon.

My DH always (with permit) carried a concealed to church. There were a lot of mental crazies in our ward. I wouldn't have been surprised if there would have been a shooting. I always watched certain people and was prepared to hit the floor if they ever went off the deep end.

Posted by: buddyjoe ( )
Date: January 02, 2013 12:36AM

Was the founder of that corp. not good with weapons? The only religious founder so far I know that was famous for gunfights founded the LDS. Is there no revelation or something?
So why should it be a problem when a priesthood holder inspired by god carries weapons. Missionaries should carry weapons too because the question for and baptism appointment would be more successful.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: January 02, 2013 08:26AM

Growing up in early 18th Century America, it is no doubt that Joseph Smith had a lot experience with firearms. He shot three of the mob and probably killed two before his ticket was punched. Also the greatest firearms inventor EVER was LDS (John Browning).

The request in newspapers and no offical posting on doors is odd...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.