Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: notanymore ( )
Date: May 23, 2012 07:44PM

There is a lot of it. Books, music, pictures, temple clothes, manuals, etc. You never notice how much there is until you don't want it anymore. What did you do with your Mormon stuff? Keep it, trash it, goodwill...?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: xombie ( )
Date: May 23, 2012 07:48PM

garbage bin (garments) or DI/goodwill.

Posted by: lbenni ( )
Date: May 23, 2012 08:02PM

threw it all away...except for a TSM signed book: title is something like faith stories..??

I thought when he died it might be worth something..

I also for a short period of my TBM hood bought a few copies of

a Ezra Taft Benson book about the constitution...

I thought it was/might be a collectors item..

Posted by: NoToJoe (unregistered) ( )
Date: May 24, 2012 09:32AM

and threw all the books in the dumpster

Posted by: Sister_Twister ( )
Date: May 23, 2012 07:59PM

Keep track of all receipts and money you spent on church material, books, garments, manuals, CD's, etc.

*Class action law suit material

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: May 24, 2012 02:22AM

When I was finally well and truly out.. when i had sent my resignation letter..

I held a ritual.

Built myself a good little fire and quietly sat and burned everything.

i didn't have much as I had just moved countries, but garments, books and partriachal blessing got burned.

It was wonderful. Very liberating.
then i got myself a tattoo to celebrate my freedom and to remind myself to never be indoctrinated like that again.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 24, 2012 09:07AM

I still have the scriptures, though. They were published in 1969, so it's interesting to note little changes in the church's chapter headings as the never-changing doctrines get nudged in different directions.

Posted by: jen ( )
Date: May 24, 2012 09:16AM

I tossed all of mine, but have had a few situations where having a "hard copy" would have helped. Then again, I don't have enough time on my hands to argue non-sense with people. If you want to feel free, burn it. If you live in an area with majority mormons, keep it, preferably out of sight, just in case you need to point out something.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: May 24, 2012 09:29AM

The Holy Jesus Jammies became shoeshine rags. But bad ones: the Holy markings scratched my shoes and the cheap Holy fabric wouldn't even hold the shoe polish, so I threw all of them in the trash in an open container. Not even homeless people wanted those rags.

The Holy Scripchers of the Lard became landfill (maybe someday scientists will determine them to be the physical beginnings of a Black Hole).

The Holy Correlation Materials and Other Publications by Men Speaking as Men became landfill.

The Holy Greek Baker Clothing Complete with Genuine Artificial Fig Leaf Apron is safely stored away and is only brought out and worn on festive occasions like dinner parties where people say "I don't believe you! That is not possible!" Yeah? Here's proof!

:-)

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: May 24, 2012 09:30AM

It depends on what it was:

- Garments I tossed in the garbage, marks and all. It was very therapeutic.
- Halfway decent church books went to DI. I didn't want to accidentally do missionary work
- Obnoxious books (Miracle of Forgiveness, "prophet" bios) went in the trash with the manuals and religious music.
- A few things I gave to my sister because I knew she'd want them.
- The temple clothes I kept to show people - like my kids who I modeled them for. They now think the temple is messed up.
- I took down the temple pictures and one framed saying by Hinckley years ago, stored them, then gave them to DI.
- DH and DS broke our framed Proclamation on the Family wrestling around in the family room. I thought that was pretty funny.
- I kept the Christus statue my mom made in ceramics for me because she never makes stuff. I also kept a Jesus picture I rather like that didn't look Mormon.

So, if you don't want to just throw it all in the trash, you can do other things with it. But throwing it in the trash works just as well as anything.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 24, 2012 02:35PM

I hadn't accumulated much when I walked away in the early 70's and when my folks died I threw away their garments and almost all the books....and felt guilty for about 2 seconds...

Posted by: AltaRica ( )
Date: May 24, 2012 03:33PM

While I understand the desire to rid oneself of all things mormon, some stuff may be worth keeping as an insight to how TSCC used to be. Recently I was in a consignment store and found a book published by Deseret Book in 1963 and written by a local leader in Ogden who was also temple/mission president in Hawaii. Some of the stories in there are great because they show how TSCC was pre-correlation.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: May 24, 2012 05:01PM

I never went to the temple, so there were no garments for me to have to dispose of in some way. Everything else went into the trash can after I glued several pages of the books together so nobody would be able to open them, and on top of the Mormon items went dog crap from the backyard.

The only Bible I have is one that isn't the KJV, and one Christmas, my brother gave me a metal cross that I have in my bedroom as it's something you won't find in a Mormon house at all.

Posted by: libertad ( )
Date: May 26, 2012 06:18PM

A month ago my kids were sleeping I had drank a couple glasses of wine put on my garments and txt pics to my exmo and never mo friends wearing them. The responses were funny.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: May 26, 2012 11:00PM

I didn't have much as I never went to the temple and never bought church books.Even as a TBM, I could barely stomach the stuff. I kept what I have which consisists of my Treasures of Truth book which is basically a scrapbook with some religious stuff and lots of other memories in it, the scriptures and one or two other books that were gifts. I keep them for that reason.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 12:24AM

I still have the big triple combo that was our "family bible+"...don't know why it's still here but it is anyway...just sits all lonely on my library shelf...unread and unloved....

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.