Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tombs1 ( )
Date: May 24, 2012 10:11AM

As I have posted many times before, the signal most angering thing about Mormonism for me is this. The "Born and Breed" "cradle to grave" Mormons that I know who apear to be so strong in their faith, and "Have no doubt that it is true" yet have never known anything else and have been indoctrinated in it since birth. When I tell them "You or so and so is a Mormon because yo were born into a Mormon family" or try to explain to them that people of different religions are just as convinced as them that their faith is the only right one, and some of them were not born, raised, and indoctrinated in it. I get this explanation, "A parents testimony will only take somone so far" or "There comes a point when everyone (including cradle to grave Mormons) have to gain their own testimonies." Did this ever bother anybody? Did you ever use this explantion for other people or yourself? I really do not buy this, I think it is just purly more bull shit cognitative dissonance! Am I right or wrong?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2012 10:12AM by tombs1.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Robin ( )
Date: May 24, 2012 10:15AM

If they had been born into a fanatical Muslim family they would be blowing themselves up.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: May 24, 2012 10:30AM

BIC could also stand for Brainwashing Instigated at Conception.

You don't have to 'gain' a testimony, it's just going to happen. Everyone around you will see to that. Easy as pie. It' not like you go to the testimony store and pick out a good one.

For a BIC, not gaining a testimony would be the challenge. There is something almost completive about picking one up. We all wanted our parents to be proud of us.

In fact, the real danger lies in actually "deciding" to get one.

I always thought I had a good one, but the more I went for a stronger witness from the spirit, the more I plead for that burning in the bosom, the more I analyzed everything, the more I increased my chances of finding my way out.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: May 24, 2012 10:53AM

I think it is a valid point that a parents beliefs can only influence a childs beliefs sp far. Eventually the child will arrive at a point where they have to decide for themselves. The problem for some is that they have learned since childhood that some things are a given-you go to church, this thing and that thing are absolute, and that there are punishments for disobedience.

Lots of youth fall away from the church when they are old enough to rebel or move out of the house and then return when it is time to raise a family. But they likely do it for the simple reason that this is the only source of faith that they know, and because it is expected of them to raise kids in the church. I have heard several people who have been active all their lives say that they don't understand some concepts, or that they need to wait until the next life to get answers, but this is the church of their fathers before them, and it is very much their home.

Somewhere I once read that mormons and Catholics have the strongest ties among their people because they are systematically taught and guided through almost every aspect of their lives. It is all they know, and it is the place to turn when they seek spiritual nourishment and social religious participation.

An intersting concept in relation to you question, is that BIC members already know that there are certain topics that you don't investigate or question, and if you do need to ask, then you need to repent of something! And if that does not help, then go to church approved sources.

The missionaries came by my house not long after we had left the church and told us that we must study it out In Our Minds and decide for ourselves if it was true. There was no other reliable source than to study it out only in your own mind and decide if what you have always known was true.

I'm a BIC. I returned to the church in my thirties after many years of a contrary lifestyle. I did it because I knew it was the place to be, and it would please my parents, as well as it was the rescue I needed at the time. It was essential that the church be true, and it was vital that I embrace it will all my heart mind and soul.

But like many other members that I know, there are many things that belong on the proverbial shelf, and whatr God really expects from you is not so much that you believe the church is true, but that as a condition of your salvation, that you are true to the church.

We don't need to know for ourselves that the church is true, we need to know for ourselves that no matter what, we will be found to be true to our sacred covenants made in the temple.

Posted by: Dances with Cureloms ( )
Date: May 24, 2012 10:58AM

My name removal letter said I lost all of those blessings yet the Bishops and Stake Presidents are instructed to tell parents of resigned children that BICs won't lose their blessings as long as mom and dad continue to pay their tithing. I think a blurb about this appears in the Church Handbook of Instruction.

Lies, lies, lies.

Posted by: jezebel2mishies ( )
Date: May 24, 2012 05:31PM

Sounds like spiritual ransom to me.

Posted by: smorg ( )
Date: May 24, 2012 11:04AM

... about a month ago when I ran into a pair of misshie in town. She said that she had to find her testimony "the same way everyone else have to, by reading the BoM and praying about it".

So there... they have no idea of what truth seeking actually means. It should mean that they study not only their own religion but most if not all the others as well before deciding on which, if any, hold the truth. But that obviously isn't the case. Their seeking of the truth and testimony only means reading their own religious book, praying about it, and if they don't feel sucky, then it must be the truth (and if they aren't convinced by that, then all they have to do is to keep telling other people that it is the truth until the sheer repetition ends up convincing them themselves). :oP

Posted by: Xyandro ( )
Date: May 24, 2012 02:10PM

I always thought this was a crock... You're encouraged to find your own testimonkey but at the same time told that if you don't feel anything that it really means you've had one all along. I can't believe I actually bought this shit.

Posted by: foggy ( )
Date: May 24, 2012 05:20PM

I remember as a child looking around at the converts in church and being jealous. I felt like they were the stronger members because they actually experienced something else and had the chance to discover and accept the 'truth'

Those of us born into it just had it forced on us our whole lives with no other real choice.

Posted by: jezebel2mishies ( )
Date: May 24, 2012 05:46PM

Let me tell you something, Foggy.

I'm a convert. Been a member of the church for four years. Very active, and still have a strong testimony. But I'm here because despite the strength of my testimony, I'm considering moving on...sooner or later.

Grew up Jewish in Jersey. Left my own faith when I was a teenager.

Never got a chance to build a real testimony of my original faith because the adults in my life were too busy screaming at me to get one. I didn't practice any religion for a few years until Mormonism found me. I'm not sorry it did...but know that sooner or later, I will likely make an exit...before the people running the church cause me the pain that many of the people on this site have experienced.

I co-teach YW. I see the indoctrination taking place in these young women, and I fear for them. I try to deliver lessons in a way that is not out of tune with the teachings, but at the same time,will build their characters rather than break their spirit. I ask the Spirit to guide me. So far, it's been working. For two years, I've done this...they haven't released me yet. Might help that my bishop is a relatively liberal guy.

Posted by: foggy ( )
Date: May 24, 2012 07:03PM

It's kind of nice to know that there are people on the inside who really care about the YW.

I still look back fondly on a couple of my YW leaders that were a little more progressive and encouraged us to explore more than just the kitchen...

I wish you luck in your journey and sincerely hope that you don't experience the pain that many here have.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: May 24, 2012 05:37PM

I used it. The time came when I had to gain my own testimony. It doesn't mean I wasn't mormon because I was born into it. Mormons give lip service to this type of freedom for their young, but then deprive them of crucial critical thinking skills and stack the cards so that their children will ultimately make the "right" choice.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 24, 2012 07:23PM

I was BIC.....but I never gained a testimony. I used to hear the testimonies given at F&T meetings and always thought what a load of horse$hit they were and of course at MORG funerals there's lots of it too....whatever....My folks were both TBM, held office but I never once heard them bear their testimonies. I imagine my Dad did when he was on HC and travelling all over the stake to speak, but I never heard him speak at church.

Posted by: nickerickson ( )
Date: May 24, 2012 09:00PM

I was BIC and found my way out. In fact, out of seven children my parents had, only two remained active. Two other families I knew, each with six children I grew up with, only one from each of those families stayed active.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.