Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mick ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 03:29PM

A movie about the MMM. It came out in 2007, so why am I just finding out about it now.

It looks interesting I will have to find a copy of it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0473700/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 04:15PM

I heard it's really good. I haven't seen it though. I wonder if Netflix has it.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 04:18PM

Or so it seemed in all the threads about it.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 04:38PM

Good movie.
It is a little lopsided- they portray mormons as evil dark men and the Fancher party as pure lillywhites.

But the important thing is the accurate reenactment of the temple oaths of vengeance, the accurate teachings on Blood Atonement and the accurate portrayal of the needless murders of the innocent. It is important to remember that while the church thinks it's funny to blame a few reckless members, among the leaders and participants at Mountain Meadows were Bishops, Stake Presidents, a President of the Seventy and one who soon after became an Apostle.

There is a better one called Burying the Past, but it is hard to find unless you buy it from their website. All in all, it is essential viewing. If you are still undecided whether the church was true, this film will answer that question once and for all.

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 04:40PM

I've seen it. Not the best acting, but I think they treated things as honestly as possible. It was framed around a silly kinda love story between a mo and girl on the wagon train. You can stream it on Netflix.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 04:41PM

That was the tribal chanting "blood atonement" bit that allegedly took place in the PH meeting in Cedar City (the historical minutes of that one vanished, surprise, surprise).

That one was the death knell for the movie (plus LDS, Inc. acted pre-emptively to curb publicity) but the movie faced a difficult challenge, making an insane murderous act by religious fanatics understandable to essentially sane movie-goers...

I think the thirty bucks for this one is money better spent (or come to an exmo gathering where it gets shown periodically).

http://www.buryingthepast.com/index.htm

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 06:30PM

Bad acting, over the top dialoque, stereotyping of both sides and a silly love story thrown in reminiscent of Romeo and Juliet. I didn't care for it. It is worth watching, I suppose , but it is in no way a good movie, IMO.This story deserved a lot better.I'd recomend Brian Patrick's documentary, "Burying the Past." It is much better.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2010 06:33PM by bona dea.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.