Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: May 25, 2012 09:07PM

when I asked my tbm family,
all they did was bear their testimony
of the divinity of ole Joe smith...

but seriously,
how can a lowly female such as myself
know exactly when
tommy monson is speaking as a prophet
or speaking as a man?

Is there a set schedule,
or calendar available to the morg?

Or are they supposed to see it in his countenance?

Truly, I would like to know,
who here on RFM can give me the answer?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Whiskey_Tango ( )
Date: May 25, 2012 09:19PM

Members are supposed to listen to the prophets words and then pray for confirmation or for the "spirit" to bear witness that what he says is the word of God...

Of course, if the prophet is still alive then the member will always get a confirmation that what he says is truly the word of God...If he is dead, and if it contradicts what the current prophet says and assuming that everyone prayed and recieved a confirmation that what the current prophet says that the dead prophet said was wrong and that the dead prophet was just speaking as a man despite the fat that everyone back then prayed and had a burning in the Bosom that the dead prophet was right.............

The bottom line is this: If the prophet is alive then what he says is gospel...Pay close attention to what he says at conference and the Ensign. Anything he says to the media can be understood as "lying for the Lord".

Anything a dead prophet says is subject to change at the convenience of the church.

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: May 25, 2012 10:06PM

You know, I think we need to just dig in our heels on this one and let Mormons own up to the disgusting statements uttered by their prophets.

I understand them wanting to shun Brigham's outrageous racism as mere utterances from a man, but please explain to me that when Brigham put on his big boy prophet pants, why did he not run back and immediately retract those statements? Why did it take over a century and an entirely new church administration to realize that he was being a racist?

Since Brigham never once repented of his statements, they are admitting he never had a single moment as a true prophet. No true prophet would teach such drivel or allow it to be taught. They have therefore proven Brigham was not a true prophet because he never once seemed to realize he was teaching error.

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: May 25, 2012 10:13PM

exactly. you get a gold star:)

Date: May 25, 2012 10:26PM

This one makes me so mad.

I should have expanded the obvious. They are also admitting that no prophet SINCE Brigham has actually held the true mantle of God's prophetic power since none of them until the PR department's recent utterance ever seemed to realize Brigham was speaking just as a man.

The entire "a prophet is only a prophet when he speaks as one" is just rubbish. For this to be true as they seem to wish, we would need to have raging schizophrenics as the only evidence of when someone like Brigham was or was not speaking as a prophet: One moment spouting the worst racism imaginable, and in the next smacking himself violently in the head and screaming, "no wait! God loves everyone the same!"

Just rubbish. And to be entirely accurate, they must modify their claim to "A prophet is only a prophet when the PR department has cleared him as such."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2012 10:28PM by Tall Man, Short Hair.

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: May 26, 2012 11:11AM

As far as I'm concerned, a prophet who doesn't make it abundantly clear when he's speaking for God and when himself is a bad man. If you were actually chosen by God to deliver a divine message to your fellow humans, you would be honored and humbled and do your absolute damnedest to make sure that message was delivered clearly - including not getting mucked up by any of your personal thoughts. To do otherwise is to completely disrespect the God you claim you serve.

If, on the other hand, you are not a prophet - just some guy with a great idea and think it's probably what God would say - or maybe you think actually yourself to personally have divine authority - you would be perfectly comfortable with mixing it in with any of your other thoughts.

Maybe it's a cult. Maybe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2012 11:12AM by schmendrick.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: May 26, 2012 11:51AM

At least 6 times per year -- General, Stake, and Ward Conferences (X2 each), good mormons raise their arms to the square, and support and sustain these men as prophets, seers, and revelators. There is no qualifier or disclaimer at that time that states "at times church leaders may sometimes just be speaking as men."

Mormonism is a scam, and its adherents are dupes. Okay... yes, it's more complex than that.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: May 26, 2012 12:29PM

Eventually the same thing will happen to monson's words that have happened to Joseph Smith's, Briggy's and the rest. Evidence will accumulate, and almost all of monson's words will be defined as speaking as a man. Might as well just assume it now. :-)

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 26, 2012 04:33PM

Jesus Smith Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Eventually the same thing will happen to monson's
> words that have happened to Joseph Smith's,
> Briggy's and the rest. Evidence will accumulate,
> and almost all of monson's words will be defined
> as speaking as a man. Might as well just assume it
> now. :-)

Disagree.

most EVERYTHING now uttered (or written) by the profits/seers/regulators is So Bland that they won't need to disown it in the future (If U didn't notice, it's prolly b/c U weren't paying attention).

most of it changed with correlation, although there have been some 'slips'.

Mormons don't pay attention to the substance regardless; it's all about 'the priviledge of listening to a living Profit'.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 03:22PM

That's the point - bland = man. Anything else will be debunked.

guynoirprivateeye Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jesus Smith Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Eventually the same thing will happen to
> monson's
> > words that have happened to Joseph Smith's,
> > Briggy's and the rest. Evidence will
> accumulate,
> > and almost all of monson's words will be
> defined
> > as speaking as a man. Might as well just assume
> it
> > now. :-)
>
> Disagree.
>
> most EVERYTHING now uttered (or written) by the
> profits/seers/regulators is So Bland that they
> won't need to disown it in the future (If U didn't
> notice, it's prolly b/c U weren't paying
> attention).
>
> most of it changed with correlation, although
> there have been some 'slips'.
>
>
> Mormons don't pay attention to the substance
> regardless; it's all about 'the priviledge of
> listening to a living Profit'.

Posted by: dot ( )
Date: May 26, 2012 06:29PM

Many TBM's say that following prophets have received greater light and knowledge. Continuing revelation being what it is.

They can believe anything BUT the truth!

Date: May 26, 2012 06:33PM

what a mind-numbing phrase THAT IS!

just exactly what wisdom, knowledge, or significance is that supposed to represent???

even, just what 'information'?

Stupid Cult

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2012 06:41PM by guynoirprivateeye.

Date: May 26, 2012 06:46PM

Here's where we're at with this not-so-slippery slope

1. Mormon prophets are mere men who will at times speak as men and other times speak as true mouthpieces of God
2. The prophets themselves have demonstrated they have no ability to discern which of their words are God-inspired and which are birthed in their flawed humanity
3. Subsequent prophets can revisit utterances by their predecessors to provide guidance to the faithful for choosing the true teachings to be found there
4. However, as with their predecessors, the latter prophets may be using mere human discernment to pass judgment on earlier teachings, and have no ability to discern if they are accurately dividing the words of their predecessors.
5. Therefore, there is no way to determine with any confidence that anything said by any Mormon prophet should be accepted as actual truth.

Date: May 26, 2012 06:50PM

substance.

are they speaking/writing Truth or ca-ca?

sooner or later, we'll each find out...

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: May 26, 2012 07:06PM

Very simple. They are not prophets. Hence, they always speak as mere men.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: May 26, 2012 07:19PM

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 02:39PM

Everything I see attributed to Tommy leads me to think he is incapable of speaking as a man...he well and truly believes his own bull$hit!!! Amazing....check out his facebook page...diatribe after diatribe, ad friggin' nauseam.....

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.