Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: colonelmoroni ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 06:22PM

I posted for the first time yesterday in support of think4u's amazing encounter with Tom Perry at the mall. There seem to be some question as to my identity, possibly that think4u and I are the same person. I can assure you we are two, separate beings, with bodies made of flesh and bones, although hers is much more glorious than mine.
We are the best of friends, and have had an on and off again more personal relationship for the past two years. I thought it appropriate to share a little bit about myself, my disillusionment with the LDS church, and perhaps gain a measure of credibility for any future posts.
I was born a poor black child. Actually that's a funny opening line from Steve Martin in the movie, "The Jerk", and not true of my white, lower income upbringing in California. I was born Mormon, but always thought "inactive protestant" would have been preferred since my friends seem to have a lot more fun and understanding of life than I had. We got along great nevertheless, and the "church" in California, MIA and scouts particularly, provided some enjoyable activities (dancing to Elvis music, boat shows at the Cow Palace in SF, and tobogganing trips to near by mountains). A distant cry from the current indoctrination camps.
I never gave the church serious thought until I reached the" wouldn't you like to go on a mission" age (it wasn't quite the expectation it is these days). I used a 4 year full scholarship in baseball as an excuse. My father loved sports more than church and told me there are lots of ways to serve a mission. Right on I thought. I hated the idea of turning my life, two years of it, over to an obsessive and controlling organization like the Mormon church.
To make a long story short, here's the brief version. I must have had a serious brain disfunction while in college, actually believing the LDS church was right after all. I read, studied, and talked myself into believing it all, short of wanting to go on a mission.
Graduated in aerospace engineering, got married, became a test flight engineer in the Air Force, flew in jet fighters, left the service, joined the Air National Guard (later retiring as a Lt. Colonel), switched careers and interests, got a masters and doctorate in education, directed a federally funded early childhood education program, became a teacher trainer for the State Office of Education, and finally a school administrator and principal of several inner city schools to finish off my career.
I am 65, retired, divorced, and the father of 3 wonderful, gorgeous daughters and a nine year old son who died in a roll over with my whole family aboard. My daughters were critically injured, barely survived and were in rehab and recovery for a year. A story book ending to it all except for the death of my son. Something you never quite recover from.
I was an active, believing, but questioning member (driven into the closet with one too many innocent, but troubling questions asked in various meetings) until about three years ago. I served in the bishopric for a number of years, taught Sunday School, and Elders Quorum.
I regard myself as a big picture person, a critical thinker, a reasonably curious and intelligent person. The doctrinal pieces simply were not fitting together. Historical truths were being purposely hidden at the highest levels. Inconsistencies and contradictions were mounting the more I read and studied. No single issue put me over the edge. It was the avalanche.
The shear volume of lies and misrepresentations were appalling. Multiple "first visions", the stone in the hat translations, DNA, mission to the Laminites , polygamy and polyandry, scriptures and doctrinal statements by previous prophets of the church that didn't count any more, racism, Kinderhook plates, Book of Abraham and papyri, and it just when on and on.
How could any reasonable person believe any of it. If just one, let alone many, claim was false, what else could be? How could God be wrong and change His mind so many times about so many things? How is it that His gospel and plan of salvation for all mankind has been only available to a statistically insignificant number of his children in mortality? In the end, integrity and a hunger for truth, led me to slip away in the night, about 4 years ago. It was easy, I just quit. Single and 65. Never went back. No one noticed, and still haven't. No home teachers, no calls, no visits (one routine visit by the bishopric to families/members prior to Stake Conference to demonstrate their love and for everyone. They left concerned for my eternal welfare and possession by Satan, but I haven't heard from anyone since). Made me think there is a God after all.
Well, that's me, colonelmoroni, live and in the flesh. Thanks for tuning in.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: matt ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 06:29PM

Welcome to the board!

There's a number of ex-forces types here, Timothy is an ex USAAF engineer, a musician and an expert on beer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2010 06:29PM by matt.

Posted by: SilkRose (not logged in) ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 06:47PM

Ex-Army medic. Thank you for your years of service and welcome to the board....

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 01:21PM

... ... I'm a former USAF jet engine mechanic who once held a A&P license which the colonel, being a former pilot and all, will no doubt appreciate!

Along with my zest and zeal for the finer things in life (beer), I'm also an "ordained minister" when it comes to such passions:

http://www.beerchurch.com/index.php/participate/83/

Lastly, I prefer to be referred to as a musical "composer" or "artist" as the following artistic composition demonstrates:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXOyKmH2_NI

Thanks for the plugs, old friend!

And welcome, Colonel! ... I salute you!

Oh, and drop us a line every once in a while, SilkRose!

Timothy

Posted by: PFC Moroni ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 06:36PM

Posted by: utahmonomore ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 06:40PM

Welcome to this site. We all are here to listen and help each other. Look forward to seeing your posts.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 06:42PM

Sorry to hear about your son. I have a fifteen y.o. son and couldn't even imagine your pain. I too just stopped going and there seemed to be very little concern other than a couple of friendly visits. I run into old members and they look right through me as if I don't exist. The bishop came by and said "who's your home teacher" and I tell them and they ask if he could drop by. I actually say "sure". He never comes. That's OK. I don't really like him anyway. I know he won't come cause he acted like an ass towards me when I was still attending church. I guess that means he's going to hell for not magnifying his calling - good. Hope you have a nice retirement.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 06:48PM

"Ex-Forces types?" Bloody Hell! How typically British can I get? ;oD

Posted by: Summer ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 06:51PM

...from a fellow urban educator. You had quite a career. I'll bet that you are appreciating the rest that retirement provides.

Welcome!

Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 06:53PM

Hi there, my very best friend. Glad to see you got your story up. You know I love you dearly, always will. Please check out the tribute I posted for you. You are the kindest and most amazing man I have ever known. Your "sweet thing", think4u

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 06:59PM

Handling grief without the "comfort" of believing in eternal families can be a heavy burden. I've known people who stayed in because they couldn't let go of that promise to be reunited. I'm your age, live in the Bay area and also lost a son.

Fortunately, you were able to realize they have no right to sell you a temple recommend to ease your pain, and no claim to know anymore about the afterlife than we do.

Looking forward to hearing your take on things,

Anagrammy

Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 11:12PM

Hello Anagrammy and colonelmoroni...

After my 2-year-old son was killed, a mormon bishopric person proceeded to tell me that I would not be able to see my son in the afterlife if I did such and such, etc. I told him that he had no control - nor no knowledge - about whether I would ever be with or see my son again. That brief encounter infuriated me.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 07:07PM

(I'm from North Edwards.)

Posted by: Changed Man ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 01:32PM

I was stationed at Edwards AFB '02-'05. I loved the motorcycle riding around there.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 09:08AM

I was raised there in the 50s and 60s, and was there during a lot of stuff having to do with engine testing at the Rocket Propulsion Lab and the whole X-15 and B-70 bomber thing, etc. When I got there, there was a tiny branch that met at the base chapel. When I left, there was a new ward house in NE. It expanded to two wards. It's down to one again. I hope it goes back down to a branch eventually. My sister raised her family in N. Edwards and Boron. I left shortly after my parents died when I was 16 or so and only went back for visits except for a one-year period where I was broke and came back to work in the Borax mine. I don't have but the worst of memories from the area, so it's not on my "must visit" list.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 07:24PM

welcome to rfm, and welcome out, CM...

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 07:25PM

And I think as long as you never accidentally strafed American ground vehicles in Kuwait (I have some tales to tell!), you and I will get along just fine.

Posted by: Nina ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 07:42PM

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 07:44PM

Welcome! We are both colonel's, I go by colonel angus. Glad to meet you.

Date: December 08, 2010 07:46PM

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 07:51PM

like button.....

Date: December 08, 2010 09:18PM

All the ladies love Colonelmoroni too, but I am the lucky one he chooses. If there were a God to thank, I definitely would. He is my hero in so very many ways.

Date: December 09, 2010 11:43AM

On Saturday Night Live a few years ago, with Christopher Walken. Here ya' go: http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/colonel-angus-comes-home/274580

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 11:26AM

Congratulations.

Posted by: Obi Wan Kanobi ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 01:10PM

Wow, many similarities to me:
- Mechanical engineer
- Flight Test Engineer
- Air Force Career

Would be good to meet up and compare notes someday. Do you live in Utah?

Date: December 09, 2010 09:03PM

I doubt he will see your post, but I can tell you he lives in Sandy, just so. of SCL. Great man he is!

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 01:54PM

I'm ex USAF SSgt, MP, 1971 - 75. So, Fuck you, Colonel! Where's your fucking flight line badge!?? :)

Just kidding, sort of.

Ron :)

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 02:27PM

I'm am educator right now.

Welcome to the board.

Posted by: tofino ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 10:57PM

Enjoyed reading your post. I think thousands every month figure out the fraud of the Mormon church via the Internet.

I left for one reason only.

I had been lied to for over 40 yrs by highly skilled con men who pretend to represent God.

My trust betrayed I could no longer participate in any manner with such a deceitful organization.

DW and I resigned in 2006. We look forward to hearing more from you and I want to thank you for serving in the armed forces.

Posted by: Comfortably Numb ( )
Date: December 09, 2010 02:56PM

I have nothing in common with you except being a fellow exmormon and that's good enough for me. Welcome to the group.

Posted by: luminouswatcher ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 12:34AM

Hi Colonel

Former USAF captain here. AFOSI defined my service.

Posted by: Heathen ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 02:37AM

Welcome!

Former Army here! Enlisted (Military Intelligence); got out a 1LT; like you also now in education.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 06:26AM

I'm sad for the hardships in your life.

I hope you enjoy posting and recovering from mormonism.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.