Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: flo, the nevermo ( )
Date: May 26, 2012 12:09PM

I really appreciated the exmo theme songs thread because, of course, the music expresses so much more than words alone can.

The comment about 'Imagine' got me thinking, too. Can anyone share any more about other music that lds hate/avoid? (For the benefit of me and other readers who are ignorant of this, at least.) I think it's true that that can express more than words as well.

[I remember hearing 'Imagine' as a kid, too, and about the controversy over it, and I remember how clear it was exactly why anyone would object to such a song!]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: deco ( )
Date: May 26, 2012 12:27PM

I think they dislike music by Queen.

I do not think they are into gangsta rap.

Marilyn Manson is probably way down on the list since he burned a book of mormon at a concert in SLC.

Insane Clown Posse may be frowned on.

But I am guessing they all love Ted Nugent.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: May 26, 2012 01:01PM

Anything by the Rolling Stones, or The Doors. Janis Joplin was not in favor, nor was Jimi Hendrix, Iron Butterfly, or The Who. Led Zeppelin was on the list until they released Stairway to Heaven, which immediately became the Great Mormon Plan of Salvation song (***retch**).

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: May 26, 2012 01:19PM

In my day it was Boy George, because he dressed like a girl or something. I listen to what i like.

Also Jesus Christ Superstar songs would not be popular. In fact, it was mentioned in one of my home-study seminary books as inappropriate. I wrote back to the teacher that i loved the music and didn't know the words (well, i could guess some of them, snicker) at the time because we'd played some of it in band class.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: May 26, 2012 02:09PM

(snip)
karin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In my day it was Boy George, because he dressed
> like a girl or something. I listen to what i
> like.

I have noticed that anything to do with cross dressing infuriates them. A costume dance was advertised in our stake and in large font was the warning "NO CROSS DRESSING!!"

I really doubt they liked The Cure or Dead or Alive, either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2012 02:11PM by rationalguy.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 01:09PM

I remember seeing Jesus Christ Superstar in the theater and there were plenty of Cult members there that night. I found the movie very moving. I remember them looking more uncomfortable than anything else.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: May 26, 2012 01:57PM

Posted by: AnonyMs ( )
Date: May 26, 2012 02:53PM

Mormons don't believe in GRACE......

But it seems to be OKish now.

K

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 26, 2012 03:32PM

I'm 'waiting' for the official word on:

ra ra riot

stroke 9

pink martini

(not that 'i care', of course!)

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 26, 2012 03:47PM

It all changes in time. When I was young, Mormons detested popular Christian music, but then along came Janice Kapp Perry & Co. Now we can't get Mormons to knock it off with the popular (LDS-themed) Christian music. They used to hate Beach Boys and Beatles, but now they only wish the kids listened to Beach Boys and Beatles. All kinds of old-fart LDS couple still sing and dance to Beach Boys and Beatles.

When people who came of age in the 1970s get real old, they'll all be singing Queen, and when chaperoning at stake dances will try to shush the kids' music and have someone put on a Queen "album".

Posted by: PeacePrincess ( )
Date: May 26, 2012 10:13PM

Wouldn't it be quite a kick if that Queen album just happened to have "Fat-Bottomed Girls" and that song just suddenly and unexpectedly started playing. What do you suppose those music hi-jackers would do then!!? To quote Nelson Muntz from The Simpsons: HA HA!!!

But back to the topic: I can tell you from my own personal experience that Metallica is definitely on the Mormons' hate list. I remember one time while I was visiting my cousins and we were playing a Metallica CD on the living room stereo. My uncle has a home-based business, and one of his employees came in and said "Don't listen to that! That's devil music!" It wasn't even this employee's house at all, so what right does he have to dictate what my cousins can listen to in their own home!!? Damn Nazis!

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: May 26, 2012 05:53PM

I have spent my life out here in the southeast part of the United States, far away from the Morridor.

So I'm more familiar with songs that the churches in my neck of the woods disliked. But at least in some cases, I'd think they'd be the same songs that the Mormons disliked.

New Orleans is mostly a Catholic city, and both the biggest TV and AM radio stations -- WWL -- were owned by the Jesuits.

I remember in 1973 when the song "Alone Again, Naturally" came out, that the Jesuits forbid it being played on WWL, because of the lines "talk about God and his mercy - if he even does exist, why does he desert me?"

I remember an LDS institute teacher of mine going off on Billy Joel's song "It's My Life (leave me alone)", saying that what we do affects others too, and so we should always strive to conform.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 26, 2012 05:57PM

Almost anything was not okay except maybe Carpenters and John Denver--maybe Bread, but not sure. I didn't even dare listen to Simon and Garfunkel. My brother listened to the Doors. I grew up on "Riders on the Storm" and "Light My Fire." My dad argued with him about it a lot.

When I was working in Beehives in YW, one of the other leaders, her son was listening to SOME music one night at her house and one of the girls piped up and said, 'My dad would never allow us to listen to that." I asked her if her dad listens to the Doors. Yep . . .

Every generation has their forbidden music.

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: May 26, 2012 06:05PM

My TBM friend, who couldn't care less about TSCC years ago, was a big Tori Amos fan. Now she despises her music since going back to church. She thinks it is too worldly.

Posted by: Chromesthesia ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 04:27PM

Oh, I love Tori AMOS. Her piano playing is delicious, but she does tend to question religion a lot. Which is AWESOME.

Posted by: FormerLatterClimber ( )
Date: May 28, 2012 05:04AM

Posted by: odin ( )
Date: May 26, 2012 09:37PM

I would assume that Corb Lund is not listed among their favorites. I don't know why. He's even got a song about brother brigham. I believe its called "brother brigham, brother young".

Posted by: jbug ( )
Date: May 26, 2012 09:45PM

I knew some Mormons who hated ALL rock music of any kind...they said it was devil music! I was TBM at the time and thought they were crazy.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: May 26, 2012 09:55PM

Everything I liked was Satanic. My music was Satanic. AD&D (which I played with friends) was Satanic. Lord of the Rings was Satanic. Satan Satan Satan.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 01:26AM

Me too! My idiot father would walk around my room, pointing out satanic artifacts like a docent of the damned. I think he was far more satanic than I was.

Date: May 27, 2012 04:28PM

Sounds like my relatives. They see the devil in EVERYTHING. It rankles.

Posted by: neveragain82 ( )
Date: May 26, 2012 10:20PM

Donny Osmond came out a few years ago and said he wont let any of his children listen to Lady Gaga. I think he said she was vile.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 01:14AM

The banned list in my Stake, changed from month to month, depending on if the local leaders knew or thought a particular artist was gay. Other then that, any songs that used dirty words, or talked about sex, which is most songs, but most of the time the leadership was too ignorant if the lyrics used vague enough analogies.

Posted by: flo, the nevermo ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 12:17PM

Posted by: StiffNekid ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 01:21AM

What astonished me was the collection of kids I knew either non-mormon becoming mormon or BIC that digged all this music when we were younger then either parting with the music or joining the mormons while appreciating a varied input of popular culture.

Imagine Joseph Smith was not your prophet from god.....it isn't hard to do.

Posted by: untarded ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 01:27AM

Black Sabbath & Olivia Newton John(Lets Get Physical).

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 05:33AM

Bach
Beethoven
Mozart
Handel
Chopin
Brahms
Schubert
Schumann
Liszt
Debussy
Any of The Greats
Christian music
Gregorian chants, and other cannon choral music
Preludes from other churches

At least, when I was a Mormon organist, this music was not allowed. We were to play and sing only Mormon hymns, or sometimes Mormon-written music such as de Azeveto (SP) or that woman writer (can't call her a composer) what's her name...zzzz falling asleep....

Date: May 27, 2012 04:30PM

How unfun. I can't imagine what would happen if hardcore Mormons discovered some of the music I love.
Dir en grey
Dimmu Borgir
iamamiwhoami
classical stuff. I got into Pearl Jam and Nirvana when I was a teen. My SDA relatives would have been SCANDALIZED. I had to get over hearing cusses in songs without being shocked.

Posted by: fubecona ( )
Date: May 28, 2012 05:42PM

Really? That's a little surprising. The stake I was in used to do a Handel's Messiah sing-along every Christmas at the stake center. I never went but I'm pretty sure it was held in the chapel.

Posted by: Greg ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 12:38PM

I'm pretty sure Led Zeppelin and Iron Maiden aren't played at too many stake dances

Posted by: hellrazor ( )
Date: May 28, 2012 04:34AM

Some music I have that would make some TBMs cringe:
Metallica
Rammstein
Emilie Autumn
Inkubus Sukkubus
AC/DC
Lacuna Coil
Some 80's rock
Some classical that causes *GASP* thought!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2012 04:36AM by hellrazor.

Date: May 28, 2012 05:54PM

That is some of the good stuff. Especially Emilie Autumn. I love her! She is good in concert.

Posted by: PUNKKID ( )
Date: May 28, 2012 04:59AM

everything i listen to.
so that kicks out the beatles,jimi hendrix,janis,jefferson airplane,the doors, oooh but my hardcore 80s punk,the anti-authoritarian anarchist stuff especially. dead kennedys are uber hated,which is fitting seeing as how their first album was 'In God we trust INC.' OH I LOVE BLASTING RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE IN MY CAR to seminary! my teacher hates me,its wonderful

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.