Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 02:09AM

Does God need a priesthood holder to use his power, or can he, being God, choose to act without the priesthood holder? If the former, then is he really all powerful? If the latter, then why does he need the priesthood holder?

If priesthood only works if it is God's will, and it seems it is never God's will to do anything, then what is the point of being a worthy priesthood holder if you are never going to be called to do something other then bless stale bread and tap water? Aren't there plenty of other priesthood holders who can do the same? Even the blessing of the sick, it seems all you are really doing is asking God that the Doctor be able to do everything, if it be God's will and all.

Why are there not tons of news stories about elders using their priesthood powers to perform miracles? Why are there not even specific stories in church, with specific names, times and places, if it is common place?

Most importantly, if a priesthood holder is all powerful, why does he need a woman as a helpmate? Can't he just use his power to make all the dishes clean, and shirts ironed?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rowan ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 07:04AM

There is no priesthood power and no power in the priesthood. They have no power of descernment or of any other kind. The only power they have is when someone willingly submits (or gives over their own power of self) to the priesthood.

Posted by: Robin ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 09:02AM

Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 09:05AM

True - and their fallback position will be 1) it wasn't gawd's will, or 2) someone did not have sufficient faith.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 09:09AM

The TBM answer was, "God chooses not to act (usually) except when we supplicate him with faith. We are primarily here to learn, not have perfect health or sharp mental faculties or wealth or other blessings. It's about learning submission to his will."

Then I ask: "Didn't we already prove to god we have submitted? We're all here on earth. We all agreed to leave and come to a very scary violent place. Seems to me that most use god not as a means to show submission, but to get others to submit. Think of missionary work, worthiness interviews, lessons meant to scare youth about sin."

Oh, and the same excuse can be made against your BeWitched magic. Dishes and chores are beneath the test god is giving us here. If you can't handle a little dishwashing, how will you ever handle cleaning a planet!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2012 09:34AM by Jesus Smith.

Date: May 27, 2012 09:32AM

I am going to repeat my last line again, because I think it was the most impressive thing I ever came up with while drunk.

"If a priesthood holder is all powerful, why does he need a woman as a helpmate? Can't he just use his power to make all the dishes clean, and shirts ironed?"

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: May 28, 2012 12:53AM

forbiddencokedrinker,

I asked my hubby your question. He's a former priesthood holder so I thought he might know the answer.

His answer? "Someone's got to tell those guys to get the shit out of their heads!"

Good answer. Now he can go back to watching tv in peace.

Posted by: waner ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 09:41AM

Alright forbiddencokedrinker, I think you are making too much sense. Just stop right there and go along with it. Now bow your head and say Yes.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 12:00PM

Posted by: Lou Louis ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 01:03PM

I remember when the BP reactivated an inactive who had not set foot in the chapel for five years.When we arrived for sacrament meeting the fellow was sitting up with the BP and was called in that very meeting to be first councillor.The BP referred to it as a miracle and evidence of priesthood power.

Two years later the BP was released and that member was called as BP.

Shortly after the new BP went out of his way publicly to gather information and singled out the former BP and wife for excomunication apparently for adultress affairs.I felt sorry for the couple and their children because I knew the BP was a real a-hole and very crude how he conducted himself in matters of privicy.

The couple were excommunicated and the whole family left the LDS church. The kids are grown and the couple went their separate ways but they seem very happy outside the confines of chruch.

Maybe that was the miracle/priesthood power he made mention of in the sacrament meeting

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 01:04PM

How I was taught about the reason humans have the priesthood power was in a comparison to children being taught by their parent. A toddler, helping wash the dishes, isn't really necessary to their parents. In fact, they often make more work for their parents. But they need to learn to do the chores the grown-ups to so according to their age and abilities, the parents allow the children to "help" while teaching and guiding them in how to do it right. The parents certainly don't need the help. It's all to benefit the child.

Or so the TBM's taught me. The priesthood power is no more magical or powerful than any positive thinking. Anyone in any religion or belief system can accomplish just as much, simply by believing they can. It's all in the believers mind.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 02:30PM

Rowan, you've got it exactly right!.....the only power we possess is to have a kind and loving heart and to treat our fellow man with respect. That will more than any perceived "priesthood power"
be able to effect change for the better.....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2012 11:22AM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Date: May 28, 2012 12:39AM

As a cop, I learned that pulling out a set of handcuffs brings people to repentance much quicker then raising your hand to the square. In about half the cases they will tell you they are sorry and it is a big mistake. In the other half, they demand you take off the cuffs so they can kill you, which isn't a really good selling point.

In every case, they will tell you they are on much too tight.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.