Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon for this ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 06:47PM

Please help me make a list of the things that I am supposed to be doing in Mormondom..
I keep hearing from the pulpit and TSCC prayers referto " what were supposed to be doing".. I am tired of the phrase.
Can any one clarify it better for me - I need a list the, longer the better to give my spouse. They never pin down the
actual problem but just roll it into " you know what you are supposed to be doing"
The sheer complexity of this religion is mind boggling.

I'll start with the important obvious ones

Tithing
Fast offer ( generous)
Mission fund ( paid for 4 )
BofM fund
Humanitarian
Perpetual Ed fund

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 06:52PM

Quit!...do nothing more regarding the cult...stop paying them...start your life over again...and if you feel the need to contribute monetarily to help the needy, give to the Salvation Army....

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: February 04, 2013 09:35PM

Salvation Army?

Give to poor people directly. That's right, the people on the street. Actually walk up to them and hand them money.

But if you're hell-bent on giving money to a charity, just give it to me and, uh... I'll make sure they get it ;)

Posted by: JoeSmith ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 08:17PM

Quilting, meals for whatever (dead family members/parties/dinners/ missionaries/etc.), boy scout fund, any boy scout canned food drive, OH, OH!, "Devote all of your everything to the COJCOLDS"

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 08:25PM

anon, I like how your list is all about paying. That's the number one priority for members--pay.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 08:25PM

Write in your journal
- Daily Scripture Study
- Family Home Evening
- Food Storage
- Magnify your calling(s)
- At least monthly temple attendance
- Home teaching & visiting teaching
- Attend church & all other meetings
- Daily prayer
- Missionary work
- Family History work
- Volunteer for whatever they ask for at church
- Clean the building
- Repent daily
- Keep a clean home - house of order
- Do anything told to do in general conference and/or by bishop
- Keep sabbath holy

There's a start

Posted by: Finance Clerk ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 08:46PM

I'll let others help with the list. The list is sure to be VERY LONG. The point I want to make it is that of all the things we are "supposed to be doing" I don't enjoy a single one of them. And I certainly don't like being told what to do. Isn't the church supposed to be the only source of "true happiness"?

Posted by: Finance Clerk ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 08:51PM

I feel so sorry for the teenagers. The list in endless.
- Seminary - inadequate sleep for early morning-ers.
- At least 3 meetings or activities a week.
- Quorum/Class president functions
- Watch those hormones
- Wear only fuggly clothes - layers...ugh!
- Collect fast offerings
- Wear ugly jumpsuits doing temple baptisms
- Youth conference
- Girls (brainwashing) camp
Along with all the normal pray, read scriptures, home teach, clean toilets, etc.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 08:59PM

Maintain good posture while dancing...

Is this a religion or a full-time job?

Posted by: beingldsISfun ( )
Date: February 04, 2013 09:25PM

I find you're list quite offensive. I am a teenager and there is nothing like that list! Seminary is a blessing and oppurtunity. And, by the way, those 'ugly jumpsuits' is temple clothing. I have worn them, and I think they're kind of cute. It is a symbol of respect for the Lord, while we are doing His holy work here on earth.And, if I may, Have YOU ever worn one?
And those layers, MODESTY! Layers are fun! I actually enjoy wearing them!
Please, next time before you make an inappropiate list like that, if you're not Mormon, then you have no idea what you're talking about!

Thank You!
An LDS Teenager Who Cares

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: February 04, 2013 09:45PM

There's a primary song about this.

It's a nauseating song written by Janice Kapp perry.

I've done my best to forget the lyrics, but it's a list of crap you need to do.

The one about grow a garden, keep a journal, yada yada yada.

Then when you get older, there's the strength of youth pamphlet for you to read over and over. Endless lessons and faith promos to remind you of the things you should be doing.
Then onto RS, and PH.
You get endless guilt trips laid on you about all the things your failing to do.
They will work you until you drop over dead.
Then, they will use your cold dead body for a missionary moment.

Date: February 04, 2013 09:46PM

Dear Being LDS is fun:

You better get off this site before I tell your mother on you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2013 09:47PM by Mia.

Posted by: sparkyguru ( )
Date: February 04, 2013 10:00PM

I say hang around, learn to think for yourself and form your own opinions.

count yourself lucky that they changed the temple ritual so you as a believe don't have to pantomime your own death, or be touched by other people while you stand there naked in a open sided toga.

Personally I was as true believing as they come my young friend, but the sad fact is the church is all based on lies. If it makes you feel good and happy, by all means participate in the church. for me however it was promised that this is the only true one. turns out it was founded on lie after lie, I did years of research and no matter how hard I tried (baring shutting off my brain and not thinking) it was false. the premise, the promise, all of it.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 09:13PM

Posted by: lbenni ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 09:21PM

do a 180 with tithing, etc...Take all the money going to TSCC and open a savings account and save for your retirement...please...

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 09:57PM

don't forget:

go to bed early

get up early

exercise daily

have sex

have another baby

sew clothes for your kids from sale fabric so the kids are always out of style

colour code your scriptures

memorize favourite scriptures and hymns

plant a garden, weed it, water it, harvest it, preserve the food you haven't eaten already

home canning

go to a welfare farm/ cannery to work if one is in your neighborhood (neighborhood is anything within a 2 hour drive from your house.)

Posted by: Greg ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 10:18PM

Some of these are repeats, but this is SOME of what I recall as the things I felt I must do to be a good Mormon, and it is by no means comprehensive. Given time I could come up with more, but I refuse to spend any more time thinking about it!

Personal Priesthood interviews
Pay tithing
Contribute to fast offerings and other funds according to ability (Book of Mormon,
Perpetual Education, etc etc)
Personal prayer, at least morning and night
Family prayer, at least morning and night
Blessings on any food consumed
Visit the sick
Help people moving in or out of the ward
Personal scripture study daily
Family scripture study daily
Work at the local cannery or bishops storehouse if there is one
Obey the Word of Wisdom
Avoid R rated movies, swearing, taking Lord's name in vain, etc
Be NICE to Everyone in the world
Avoid evil speaking of the Lord's anointed
Wear special underwear at all times
Don't do anything in the bedroom that might be considered fun
Write to missionaries
Raise children (if any, and boy there better be at least a few!) "in righteousness"
Study "out of the best books words of wisdom"
Give priesthood blessings when asked for health, healing or special occasions
Attend and support all extra-curricular ward activities (parties and other social
get-togethers, Father/Sons campouts, other scouting activities such as awards
ceremonies, etc.
Volunteer to work at Girls Camp, either during the camp or before/after to clean etc.
Avoid any immodest clothing
Stay chaste
Wear short hair and avoid facial hair (for men)
Wear only white shirt and ties to church, suit is even better
Carry scriptures around at church and at least appear to use them
Fast at least once a month on Fast Sunday, and at other times when requested
for a "ward Fast" for sick individuals etc
If you are "blessed" with material wealth, support a missionary or two

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 08:20AM

Then do it all over again the next day. It is the reason you were created and all those very important life giving things please God. :). Start early. Get up around 5 and go to bed around 10. No coffee help!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2012 08:21AM by suckafoo.

Date: May 27, 2012 11:10PM

And don't forget......pray always.

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: May 28, 2012 06:28AM

Add the following to the lists above:

Scrub the church toilets

Do family history research

Go to temple and do proxy work for folks found while doing family history research

Participate in all ward service projects, Boy Scout Eagle projects, and youth service projects

Invite a unsuspecting, innocent person for dinner so that you can feed the missionaries (gotta have that investigator present for the meal now adays)

Provide a meal for sick folks or folks who just lost a family member, when called upon to do so by the RS presidency

Attend tithing settlement at the end of the year

Go on a regular mission (young person) or a senior mission. Save money for serving a mission. IF you have any money left, then you might consider saving for a college education or for your own retirement, but you only do this after you have saved sufficient funds to pay for your (or your child/grandchild's) mission.

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: May 28, 2012 06:34AM

Also add to the list:

Campaign for Mitt Romney; Donate to his campaing fund, plus the campaign funds of other TBM candidates like Orrin Hatch

Campaign against same sex marriage, abortion at will, the ERA, and any other political causes that 15 old men tell you to campaign for (or against)

Posted by: breatheagain ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 02:21PM

and become active in local politics especially those that are against gay rights.

Posted by: mistymemories ( )
Date: May 28, 2012 09:28AM

Bake a cake to give to the missionaries, so they can take it to some investigagtors who will let them in and take discussions.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: May 28, 2012 10:11AM

They get much more in return. (I'm not talking about phony blessings or such garbage spiritual garbage gifts)

Posted by: biblebeltbetsy ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 12:46AM

I guess people in my ward added "baptize holocaust victims" to their lists again.... a few weeks ago our bishop read a letter from the stake presidency reminding us not to (for the second or third time I believe)

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 12:51AM

What are you supposed to be doing in MORmONDUMB?

I think you missed asking an even more basic question
which is: WHy would anyone want to be in MORmONDUMB.

once you get the correct answer to this more basic question then things get a lot easier. Until then, have fun with in MORmONDUMB!

Date: June 01, 2012 12:58AM

I'm sooo tired, and all I did was read this thread.

Posted by: davesnothere ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 07:52AM

Do whatever we (The Church) tell you to do…..give us all your money and deny yourself and family a stable financial future……feel guilty because no matter how much you do, no matter how much money you give you’re still falling short in some spec aspect of obtaining perfection and disappointing your Heavenly Father.

Posted by: hadenuf ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 10:42AM

Don't forget to leave some or all of your estate to the LDS church in you trust or will.

I am with Mia......just get tired reading through and thinking of it all. And all this on top of your job, housework, yardwork, marketing, running errands, carpooling kids, meal preparation, getting car serviced, shopping, etc. Not to mention taking care of a sick or elderly family member. Add your church calling in there too.

Wait......forgot to mention spending time with children and husband, reading good literature, music appreciation, attending concerts and museums and volunteering in the community.

Okay.......I will stop now!

Posted by: Bicentennial Ex ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 02:15PM

I'm sure this has been around before, but...

Google 1916 Beehive Requirements and choose a link.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.