Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: openeyes ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 09:10PM

And, cannot come out of the closet for family or job reasons?

After I became a disbeliever, I faked it for years by going to church, paying tithing, and holding callings because I thought if I became inactive there would've been family consequences, including divorce, at least that's what I perceived in my mind. Eventually, I thought to hell with the consequences and stopped going to church. Now that I'm divorced for non-religious reasons, surprisingly, I found out my ex would have stayed with me despite my non-belief and inactivity. Wow!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: karin ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 10:01PM

not me. Went inactive when we moved and then found the ex-mormon community which led to my exit, not reactivation.

Posted by: lancepeters ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 10:06PM

I am, I serve in a stake in provo.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2012 10:07PM by lancepeters.

Posted by: runtu ( )
Date: May 30, 2012 07:59PM

Maybe you're in my stake. I go to sacrament meeting usually, as my wife hates to go alone. But that's pretty much it.

Posted by: lostbagle ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 10:33PM

nope, stopped going in february. Told them to take my calling back a few weeks prior. I couldn't keep going and sit there and listen to all the hype in the rs lessons about Joseph Smith, never letting on to the awful things that he had done, never even mentioning that the had more than one wife. It made me sick. I sat in the foyer for a few weeks and then just stopped going, taking all of my children with me.

Posted by: The Motrix ( )
Date: May 27, 2012 11:59PM

I'm not now, but I agonized over quiting for many years.

I went on a mission to keep the peace, plus I saw it as the best way to get out of a nutty Mormon household.

Then got married to a Mormon, not in the temple at first, but she got feeling guilty about not going back to church. Got sealed, and then was afraid to leave because she said, "If you quit the church, there's no reason for us to stay together".

Luckily, she didn't keep her threat and she has left as well. But, damn, wasted too many years of a short life.

Oh yeah, in the mean time while being a nonbeliever, I served as gospel doctrine teacher many years, 1st counselor and 2nd counselor in a bishopric, branch president, high councilor, high priest instructor, ect, ect. So, there are many how know it's a load of crap but have a hard time, usually for personal reasons, leaving.

Posted by: jezebel2mishies ( )
Date: May 28, 2012 12:02AM

I'm active, and have a calling. I stay for two reasons. For one, I'm a student at BYU. Also, the one TBM in my life whose opinion I care about is dying. I think he'd be okay with my leaving, but I don't want to break his heart. As for the others? Not worth the steam of my piss.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 28, 2012 01:53AM

Whoa. Your piss steams? Get out! Really?

Date: May 30, 2012 08:35AM

Only after Fast and Testimony. The fire of my testimony, I guess.

Posted by: slatheredtwice ( )
Date: May 30, 2012 07:55PM

You must live in a warm climate. There is nothing like watching the steam rising from one's piss while watering the roses in January amidst the snow.

Date: May 30, 2012 07:57PM

Nope. My testimony is just that fiery.

Posted by: runningyogi ( )
Date: May 28, 2012 12:09AM

Left it and never looked back about 16 years ago. No regrets, much growth and happiness.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: May 28, 2012 12:17AM

I go to church when I'm not scheduled to work, but only to humor my TBM wife. It's half the time. I don't accept callings but speak to no one about my lack of belief. They have left me alone for the most part, though I suspect my wife may have discussed me with the bish. She says she always "puts my name in" at the temple.

Posted by: fishbird ( )
Date: May 28, 2012 12:19AM

Nevermo, just here to get an inkling of why my friends act the way they do. The board has helped a lot with that.

Posted by: Observer ( )
Date: May 28, 2012 12:33AM

Im. I find interesting many posts here. Still reading the serious - non hate filled ones and ignoring the funny or non-sense. I'm really on a quest to find out god's existence and the reality of christianism. That's how deep my doubts are.

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: May 28, 2012 12:44AM

I stayed a long time after I stopped believing. Mostly it was pride, I think...the idea that I had been so fooled was humiliating. I was a convert for love at age 24, got married in the temple, (keeping my family and friends from going to my wedding), and then went on to raise my kids in the church. I felt embarrassed and stupid after all those years to say, "Ummm...nevermind. It's all BS...I take it back."

It was through getting the Internet, and almost immediately doing a search on Mormons that I found a Mormon chat room on AOL. Somebody there posted www.exmormon.org, and I went to this site, and was amazed to find others who felt the same way I did. I stayed in the church for a couple of years after that, but I was distancing myself more and more. Thanks to encouragement from the RfM community, especially a certain poster who really pushed me (thank you Ether!), I eventually just quit.

Posted by: Altava ( )
Date: May 28, 2012 02:39AM

I do, although I've been finding any and every reason to not go when possible. My parents have been helping me with stuff, and I've been taking my brother to our singles ward when I can go. But having major troubles convincing myself it's worth it. I just haven't found the nerve to tell me parents I don't believe it anymore. Kinda afraid they are just gonna blame all these things that aren't any of the issues no matter how much I tell them other wise...

Posted by: byuiapostate ( )
Date: May 28, 2012 02:54AM

I have to be active, seeing as how I attend BYU-I. I'm the ward family history consultant...although I haven't had to do anything yet! It kind of sucks, but what can one do?

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: May 28, 2012 03:05AM

Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: May 28, 2012 09:33AM

I was finally released as finance clerk yesterday. I quit going to church as part of my new year's resolution (which is working out quite nicely).

Posted by: UK-Sinner ( )
Date: May 28, 2012 03:29PM

Resigned from my calling & from Home Teaching over 2 years ago although I was still attending to keep the peace with TBM wife.

Over the last year I have stopped attending more & more & have been maybe 2 or 3 times since Christmas.....again just to keep the peace at home.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: May 30, 2012 08:33AM

I've done the first part but haven't reduced attendance to what I would consider acceptable (once a month). Also a UK'ite.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 29, 2012 11:31PM

No and no....I was a beer drinking, cigarette smoking home teacher once...but that was 30 years ago....

Posted by: Marcionite ( )
Date: May 30, 2012 08:38AM

I attended and went through the motions for years after I discovered it was a fraud.

But eventually the double life just became too overwhelming. My head exploded and I quit going altogether.

The best thing I ever did for my sanity was to stop attending TSCC.

Posted by: dumpweed ( )
Date: May 30, 2012 09:40AM

i am currently faking it......

Posted by: mcarp ( )
Date: May 30, 2012 11:34AM

I faked it for 20+ years. Read RFM for about 4 years while active.

Haven't attended for a year.

Resigning with Zilpha Larson's Mass Resignation from Mormonism on June 30.

http://resignmormon.blogspot.com/

Posted by: sam ( )
Date: May 30, 2012 08:15PM

I do not go to church. I do not have any calling.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: May 30, 2012 08:42PM

I don't go, have no calling. Never will do either again.

I will never set foot in a mormon church again. Ever.

Posted by: cfutahn ( )
Date: May 30, 2012 09:09PM

Not me! I haven't been active for years. Just sent in my resignation letter yesterday. I have no problems with the church per se, religion altogether just isn't my thing anymore.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.