Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sam ( )
Date: May 28, 2012 09:54AM

For those of of you that have been to the temple to do temple stuff, what feelings did you have? Many have told me that the spirit was so strong and so special they felt so close to God. Well, I always felt blah and weird to be there. When you add the rituals of weirdness, it obviously gets weird. But, just sitting there without any of that, I never felt the spirit.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: May 28, 2012 09:57AM

When I was on my mission, we went to the San Diego temple once a month, I was always feeling a mixture of deep shame along with having angry thoughts at other elders.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 28, 2012 10:03AM

"Is that all there is? Is that all there is?..."

I didn't have the chance to go to the temple again until after my mission. Then I went every week for a summer, hoping for it all to come into focus, for the hidden meaning to make itself known, for the closeness to God to happen. I was sincere about it. I eventually realized the hidden meaning was that there was no meaning at all.

Posted by: Robin ( )
Date: May 28, 2012 10:13AM

I felt special at times to be in the 'club'. I forced myself to believe it was spiritual and special but deep inside I felt weird and stupid and scared.

I wondered what were the mysteries-besides learning the handshakes and names and signs there wasn't anything revealed. The true order of prayer was ridiculous. It all felt empty and hollow but I kept trying.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 28, 2012 10:13AM

once I was through the ordeal, I felt relief. I have a very vivid imagination--and I was sure there would be orgies. I'm also very MODEST--and even going to do baptisms and the biddies who made us take off the "suit" before they'd give us a towel made me very uncomfortable.

So--I heard some years before I got married that you had to get naked. Forced my sister to tell me what the Hell?? So I wasn't caught off guard by the W&A.

But--I did feel relief when it was over because for years I'd let my imagination run wild, especially with friends, etc., who told me they almost left the lds church over going to the temple. I definitely thought it was weird--ritualistic, creepy.

As my ex and I were just talking about recently--now that we know what goes on in THERE, we drive by temples and think "wtf?" rather than "I love to see the temple."

I went back a whole 4 or 5 times. The thing I hated the most--though I thought it was beyond boring and stupid--was how nitpicky those old women were. Nitpicked me to death. Made me feel stupid and "unworthy." So--I quit going.

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: May 28, 2012 10:28AM

...made me think, wow that woman's hot.
Geez, in the temple? How'd satan reach my mind in here.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 28, 2012 11:05AM

The temple is a place of stress where self-important old men and women grouse at you over the smallest of problems, where you get hot and uncomfortable when you're all robed-up and listening to The Worst Movie Ever Made, a place where old men keep missing the urinal and where Jesus Christ himself would have a few choice words to say about the food in the cafeteria (particularly in the Swiss temple).

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 28, 2012 11:17AM

The last time I was in a temple was when I was about 14.....and I felt....nothing....

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: May 28, 2012 02:47PM

The endowment put me to sleep. Oddly, I always felt alert in the celestial room. But not ”spiritual” in the sense I know it now. I think it was just the contrast of nodding off, then waking to get through the veil.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: May 28, 2012 03:51PM

I wanted it to be a spiritual experience. However, the whole day was lacking in anything that you could call a spiritual experience.

The move was weird and boring. God in the palace reminded me of SNL. Satan is the only person that kept it interesting.

The whole stand up sit down tie this on take that off shake shake shake seemed cuckoo. Really God? I think God is so much more sophisticated. Going thru the veil was annoying. I figured if they weren't going to give me a copy of the script then I wasn't even going to try and remember all that nonsensical jibber jabber. I had the veil worker tell me word for word every time. Some temple worker said it didn't matter because when we die we'd have a perfect memory.

The celestial room seemed so pointless. I know they say you can ask questions. Who are you going to ask? The lady trying to get you all out the back door?

The lockers were always a nice touch. Everyone whispering was kind of weird. The escalators are down right dangerous with all of the women in long dresses, togas, sashes and soft shoes. I wonder if anyone has ever had their dress caught and got it ripped right off of them.

I don't know what I was expecting, but the sealing room sure was a let down. The whole time I was in there all I could think about was the term smoke and mirrors. Hmmm.

Leaving was always the best part. Such a relief. I always felt like I'd just wasted a good day though. Husband and I would always reward ourselves with a nice dinner afterwards.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: May 28, 2012 07:31PM

I only went for baptisms and was disappointed that it was not the great spiritual experience it was supposed to be. I didn't feel weird, but I didn't fell special either and I didn't see or feel the spirits of those whose work I was doing. I do remember being guilty because I enjoyed seeing the boys in the wet jump suits which left little to the imagination. They would have been better off having us dinked in swimming suits.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.