Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: May 29, 2012 03:41PM

While I suspect that this article/commentary appeals more to the educated Western mind, I still get a kick out of reading it.

http://www.alternet.org/story/155553/8_ways_christian_fundamentalists_make_p

While 1, 4, and 6 will surely resonate with those leaving Mormonism, I think 8 will hold a special place in your hearts because of its introduction.

"8. Intrusion. Australian comedian and atheist John Safran flew to Salt Lake City for a round of door-to-door devangelism after Mormons rang his doorbell one too many times on Saturday morning. More serious intrusions, in deeply personal beginning- and end-of-life decisions, for example, generate reactive anti-theism in people who mostly just want to live and let live.

Catholic and evangelical conservatives have made a high-stakes gamble that they can regain authoritarian control over their flocks and hold onto the next generation of believers (and tithers) by asserting orthodox dogmas, making Christian belief an all-or-nothing proposition. Their goal is a level of theological purity that will produce another Great Awakening based largely on the same dogmas as the last one. They hope to cleanse their membership of theological diversity, and assert top-down control of conscience questions, replenishing their membership with anti-feminist, pro-natalist policies and proselytizing in the Southern hemisphere. But the more they resort to strict authoritarianism, insularity and strict interpretation of Iron Age texts, the more people are wounded in the name of God and the more people are outraged. By making Christian belief an all-or-nothing proposition, they force at least some would-be believers to choose “nothing.” Anti-theists are all too glad to help."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: May 29, 2012 03:53PM

In order of importance, the reasons I left Christianity.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 29, 2012 04:18PM

Fundamentalism is built on the premise that everyone is incapable of thinking and acting correctly and need an infallible authority telling everyone the right answer -- and making sure they follow it. So, if any fundamentalist is shocked when their religion intrudes, they hadn't been paying attention.

Date: May 29, 2012 05:44PM

...which suggests to me that Mormonism, though Mormons surely won't ever admit it, is simply a fundamentalist religion with the added baggage of polygamy.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: May 29, 2012 06:36PM

Not to mention the baggage of some first-rate kitsch presented as scripture.

BG: I don't remember seeing your posts in a while?

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: May 29, 2012 06:36PM

This article is about what leads people out.

Date: May 29, 2012 08:22PM

Right you are! And I think that it is ultimately education--specifically learning what possibly could happen versus what is completely impossible (either in that time or even now)--that ultimately seals the deal.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.