Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: archaeologymatters ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 11:03PM

I'm not really a Christian anymore, so maybe I should not be making this point.

However I have gone to church sporadically the last few years with family and friends, and I have not heard a talk about Jesus or his teaching. What I hear is a bunch of faith promoting bs combined with some D@C thrown in. Weird that "The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter Day Saints" does not spend a whole lot of time talking about Jesus.

It should be renamed "The church of Joseph Smith, and a faith promoting story or two about the greatness of visiting teaching."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 11:07PM

Now that the media flashlight
is shining on their dark
hidey-hole of lies.....

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 11:08PM

My DD attended church with one of her friends a few years ago. She stayed for the entire 3 hour block. When her friend's mother asked her what she thought, my DD asked "When do you talk about Jesus?" because (other than the ending of a prayer) she hadn't hear him mentioned once.

On Easter my son attended with his GF to please her uber-TBM family. The Sunday school lesson was all about the resurrections that took place in the Book of Mormon....so the EASTER message he took away was "Jesus, no big deal".

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 11:12PM

you are right. sundays meeting are just that, alot of boring morg business, so and so is being released,ym/yw meet at this time. How people who are not mormon are clueless and should not be assiocated with. then the talks start, just a bunch of boring mission stories. the focus has been on morg business, and taken away from jesus.( oh wait, it has always been on morg business and never about jesus, well mabey around christmas time they'll mention jesus)

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 07:34PM

At Christmas? You mean Joseph Smith's birthday-time, don't you?

Ana

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 11:14PM

Who? You mean the guy from Jerusalem that taught about the coming of Joseph Smith?

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 07:40PM

Posted by: smorg ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 11:18PM

I wonder if they'd talk about Jesus more if the dude had turned wine into water instead of the other way around. ;o)

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 11:26PM

At least from 20 years ago till about five years ago they did all of the time. He was always a huge part of my Mormon experience.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 11:59AM

Wow that's the opposite of my experience in the 70's. We never talked about Jesus. The focus was on the BoM and Joseph Smith in my ward.

Posted by: rgg ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 05:43PM

Same here. I was a child/teen and the 1970s and I don't remember Jesus being discussed. Just the Mormon painting of him was all that I remember.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 11:26PM

I make it a point to count how many times he's mentioned. I still attend occasionally with my TBM wife. In fast and testimony meeting last Sunday, Jesus was mentioned twice by adult testimony bearers in more than an hour of testimonies.

The children's little indoctrination mantra always goes "I know the church is true and that Joseph Smith was a prophet. I love my family,..." and very often never mentions Jesus.

Posted by: archaeologymatters ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 11:35PM

Haha so true. The 7 year old that goes up there mentions how he/she knows Joseph Smith is a true prophet, but I rarely heard them say something like "I know Jesus is the Son of God."

Last time I went to church it was at a single's ward. The 3 talks were as follows:

First speaker - Young woman probably around 25 spoke about a business trip she had gone on where someone at the airport in Sacramento was confused about mormons. She spent time explaining to that person that mormons were good people and gave said person information to contact the missionaries.

2nd speaker - A younger girl probably around 20 who had moved from Michigan to Utah. Commented on how she was not a great softball player, and how it was hard getting used to being away from home. It was basically a getting to know you talk where little of anything religious was discussed. (Maybe that is why it was the most entertaining haha)

3rd speaker - A high councilmen who spoke about none other than Joseph Smith. He talked about how great of a person Joseph Smith was and how he looked up to him. I wanted to scream when he said "when you have made mistakes understand that even Joseph Smith was not perfect."

Yeah no sh*t Sherlock.

All in all it was an interesting meeting although Jesus was never mentioned. I actually can go to a Sacrament meeting now much easier than in the past. Once you know full well it is all bs, it becomes more entertaining.

Posted by: Altava ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 11:28PM

Yes they do! They have to mention Jesus every time someone *dare* say they don't worship Jesus Christ!

Otherwise no. Also the above comments are amazing. I laughed a lot XD

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 11:30PM

Except for a bunch of lies about Jesus in Primary, I don't remember them ever really teaching about Jesus. Yes he is mentioned at the end of a prayer but so what? Some people say the word "Jesus" more while swearing than do TBMs in church. Sad.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 11:35PM

Mormons are Belongers, not Believers.

Oh; they do believe what their leaders tell them, but since it isn't applied in a consistant manner....

Posted by: Texas girl ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 11:48PM

Ummmm, well they never really did to begin with. I really don't recall very much Jesus talk from when I was active until my mid-teens. Everything was about the Book of Mormon, not about Jesus.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 11:49PM

I don't remember much Jesus when I was a kid during the 60s

Posted by: biblebeltbetsy ( )
Date: June 04, 2012 11:57PM

All the lessons we get are from conference talks.

Posted by: mindlight ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 08:04AM

I talked alot about Jesus to my Bish and RSP ..... on my exit.
It was all about what would Jesus do... as I did to 2 misshies the other day

stumped them, i think

always a great trump card.

Posted by: onlyme ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 10:32AM

I attended sacrament meeting a few weeks ago for the first time since the primary program back in the fall. There were two talks.

Talk 1: By the seminary instructor. She spent the whole time talking about the sacrifice the students made in coming to early morning seminary, how difficult some of their personal lives were and some of the "fun" activities they did. Nothing at all about what they actually learned. she did mention that they were studying the old testament so in fairness, Jesus isn't mentioned there by name either.

Talk 2: The EQP gave a talk about the atonement. You would expect that to be full of mentions of Jesus. But it wasn't. You wouldn't have known it was about the atonement if it wasn't for him saying it at the beginning and the end. Instead he told some personal stories about forgiveness and some stories about battles from the book of mormon.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 10:51AM

If someone is talking about the atonement, I don't see how you could say that they weren't talking about Jesus. It is a fundamental doctrine of Christianity whether they mention the word Jesus or not.

He might have been stupid, he might have been a terrible speaker, or he might have had organization problems. Those might be more valid criticisms than he wasn't talking about Jesus.

At least that is how I see it.

Posted by: onlyme ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 05:04PM

No big deal, call it whatever you want. He started his talk by saying he was going to talk about the atonement and then didn't mention the atonement or Jesus at all after that except for in his testimony at the end. I'm using it as an example of mormons not talking about Jesus when the opportunity is there because that's the subject matter of the thread. It could just as easily be an example of an incompetent speaker.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2012 05:07PM by onlyme.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 11:14AM

Once, about four years ago when I was asked to give a talk. I hadn't hit the internet yet but was really bugged about how little I heard of Jesus in what was supposedly his church. I don't remember what I was TOLD to talk about it but I decided I wanted to talk about Jesus and how much he loves us for who we are - not for how well we jump through his hoops. I tied it into my "assigned" subject with one sentence then moved on to what I wanted to say. Turnabout is fair play.

The other time was for about a month after I got into my argument with Bishop Jackwagon, where I mentioned you never even hear about Jesus in Sacrament meeting. I didn't go to church in our ward for a couple of weeks after he yelled at me because DH was working Sundays and didn't want me around the bishop without him there. So I went to my sister's ward in the city. Then, when DH and I started going again, there were a bunch of talks about the Savior in Sac meeting. I guess BJ was listening to me after all. Of course, it quickly tapered off - back to worshiping Joseph Smith and Tithing.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 11:27AM

...who was the first Prophet and Seer of the Lard in this dispensation?
...who has done more, save Jesus only, for the salvation of men in this world, than any other man that ever lived in it?
...who has brought forth the Book of Mormon, which he translated by the gift and power of God, and has been the means of publishing it on two continents?
...who has sent the fulness of the everlasting gospel, which it contained, to the four quarters of the earth?
...who has brought forth the revelations and commandments which compose this book of Doctrine and Covenants, and many other wise documents and instructions for the benefit of the children of men?
...who gathered many thousands of the Latter-day Saints, founded a great city, and left a fame and name that cannot be slain?
...who lived great, and [who] died great in the eyes of God and his people?
...who sealed his mission and his works with his own blood?

Yea, even Joseph Smith, Junior?

After all that hyperbole, who has the breath or imagination left to talk about some dull Jewish dude named Jesus?

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 11:53AM

It depends on the bishop.

Our last bishop talked about the Savior all the time, even pre-empting scheduled talks to deliver some of his thoughts.

The present bishop retreats to the safety of re-heated conference talks.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 12:05PM

1. I know the Book of Mormon is true.
2. I know that Joseph Smith *is* a prophet.
3. I know the Church is true.

It had not changed when I left the Church in 2000.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 07:40PM

Yes--especially #2.

"I know that Joseph Smith *is* a prophet..."

I can't wait for the day they start saying,

"and lives in my heart, for it hath been revealed in this dispensation that the humble farm boy, so much maligned, was unknown in his real personage, even the Holy Spirit, who, clothed in flesh, came to restore the gospel for us so that we could return to live eternally with our Heavenly Father."

Then they can shrink that font on the Jesus Christ back down--at a cost of a couple of thou per wardhouse.

Anagrammy

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 12:07PM

This was the very issue that was the catalyst for my leaving Mormonism. Some above have suggested that Mormons do talk about him or that they used to more than today. I left in the early 80s and my experience was that they made references to Jesus but did not do much preaching about him (but then expository preaching is not a suit for Mormons). I remember sitting in a priesthood meeting during ward conference and the SP was going on about tithing and about temple attendance, who has been, who hasn't...and you who have been don't be smug, go again...on and on. I turned to the man sitting next to me and said: "Do you think Jesus will turn up today?" He looked at me in bewilderment.

Date: June 05, 2012 07:18PM

Right, Jesus was mentioned but it was usually in passing and in reference to some Mormon thing. Jesus wants you to go to the temple, pay your tithing, do your home teaching etc. There was very little NY stuff. It may have been different in other wards, but that way my experience and this was in the past. I haven't attended since the late 60s

Posted by: footdoc ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 02:04PM

I had a "come to jesus" moment in the MTC. I had never felt close to him, didn't really understand why he was important, but in the MTC I read Jesus the Christ, which was a pretty good book if I remember, Talmadge was a scientist maybe thats why I liked it... Anyway, it was the first time I truly appreciated Jesus and what the atonement meant.

I'm not really sure I'm christian or not these days, Christ seems like a pretty good deity though, but the irony to me is that I was raised my whole life in the church in a super hardcore active family, it wasn't until I read Jesus the Christ that I began to understand why Christ was actually important at all.

If you try to tell me that Mormons teach and talk about Christ on a regular basis, I will tell you you're either ignorant about mormons or full of shit.

Posted by: jeb ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 07:26PM

According to my mother earlier this afternoon: "The LDS church is more Christ-centered than any other church".

GAH!! I was silent and then started talking about my dog.

Her comment was in response to the county softball league not allowing the Mormons to play because they aren't Christian.

Date: June 05, 2012 07:28PM

How many other churches has your mother attended? LOL

Posted by: jeb ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 07:32PM

Well, she was technically Catholic as a child. But they rarely went to church. So 2, I guess. LOL

But this is the same mother who, when I told her she shouldn't judge me for my religious choices since she converted from Catholicism, told me that it was different because she converted to the "one true church".

I'm still laughing over that 10 years later!

Date: June 05, 2012 07:43PM

The whole mass is about Jesus so either she didn't go much or wasn't paying attention. I guess people see what they want to see.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 07:39PM

Jesus SMITH that is !

Follow the MORmON profit !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wALvdgurB4

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 07:44PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.