Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 09:33AM

Anybody who can keep the same job for 60 years has earned a few parades. Loved the flotilla Sunday. The Brits are very good at pomp. We have the 4th of July, and the Superbowl halftime show, but this has been a 4 day party. Impressive. :)

Last Mormon leader who got the job in his twenties was JS, and it didn't go that well for him, gunned down in a frontier jail.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 10:03AM

Prince Phillip is probably on his way out.

It would be highly unusual for a man to get bladder infections.
Most likely, something is draining into his bladder - probably from inflamed bowels.

My guess is that he either needs a bowel resection or he has cancer.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 03:10PM

(get all the pee out of the bladder)

just sayin!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2012 03:10PM by bignevermo.

Posted by: Canuck Exmo ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 06:04PM

Here, here.... To the Queen!

ps - As a Canadian, I have a natural fondness for the Royal family, particularly William and Harry.

I've always felt a and Prince Charles for his poor treatment of Di. But then, maybe Di was a royal pain. If one didn't/doesn't know someone, it's hard to make an accurate judgment call.It's hard to know what a person is like if you don't know them personally.

Am not so sure about the Queen herself.She seems to not have liked Di at a certain point, but am not sure if that was justified. My understanding is Di didn't like having to follow all the many, many rules of being part of the Royal family. Because she wanted to buck the system, she and the Queen were at odds.

The Royal family prefers someone who will follow every single procedure and tradition to the letter, and since Di didn't want to do this, she was practically speaking ousted, by both Charles and the Queen. I suppose if you're going to marry into Roylty, you have to make a decision whether you want to follow all the traditions or not.

Posted by: Canuck Exmo ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 06:06PM

Here, here.... To the Queen!

As a Canadian, I have a natural fondness for the Royal family, particularly William and Harry.

I've always felt a bit upset with Prince Charles for his poor treatment of Di.

But then, maybe Di was a royal pain. If one didn't/doesn't know someone, it's hard to make an accurate judgment call.It's hard to know what a person is really like.

Am not so sure about the Queen herself.She seems to not have liked Di at a certain point, but am not sure if that was justified. My understanding is Di didn't like having to follow all the many, many rules of being part of the Royal family. Because she wanted to buck the system, she and the Queen were at odds.

The Royal family prefers someone who will follow every single procedure and tradition to the letter, and since Di didn't want to do this, she was practically speaking ousted, by both Charles and the Queen. I suppose if you're going to marry into Roylty, you have to make a decision whether you want to follow all the traditions or not.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 10:25AM

God save our gracious Queen
Long live our noble Queen,
God save the Queen:
Send her victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us:
God save the Queen.

O Lord, our God, arise,
Scatter thine enemies,
And make them fall:
Confound their politics,
Frustrate their knavish tricks,
On thee our hopes we fix:
God save us all.

Thy choicest gifts in store,
On her be pleased to pour;
Long may she reign:
May she defend our laws,
And ever give us cause
To sing with heart and voice
God save the Queen.

(And an old, alternate verse for us Canadians)

Our loved Dominion bless
With peace and happiness
From shore to shore;
And let our Empire be
Loyal, united, free
True to herself and Thee
God save the Queen.

Human

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 10:58AM

All the parties are over and our hearts are swollen with pride in Her Majesty's stamina and generous heart. She's had her ups and downs but at 86 she decided not to enthrone herself on the river pageant but instead she stood, for the whole time, in a howling gale and driving rain to show her love for us all. She is indeed our Ma'am and long may she reign.

I'm hoping that Philip will recover well. This is one lady who doesn't deserve grief right now. Perhaps the next day or so she will be able to recover from all the excitement, visit her hubby and have a few gin and tonics (or cups of tea) in peace - she deserves it.

The Blues and Royals on horseback, all the various guards and regiments on parade, make me proud to be British.

God Save the Queen!

Briggy

Posted by: Lorraine aka síóg ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 11:09AM

I was able to watch most of the pageantry today and on Sunday, and I was very moved. She has earned respect and affection, and I congratulate her, as well as Britons and citizens of the Commonwealth. May she be granted more years of service, and may Philip recover and be at her side. It was sad to see her process in without him today. That she carried on with dignity is just one more reason to respect her years of dedication.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 11:18AM

The Queen is amazing. And, she looked just beautiful on the balcony watching the flyover. It's hard enough to have the love and loyalty of your subjects but to have the citizens of other countries respect and admire her so much is a huge tribute to the way she's lived her life and done her duty to her country. God bless the Queen.

Posted by: Chicken'n'Backpacks ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 11:40AM

As a red-blooded amurr-ic'n, I found myself almost tearing up at the BBC reporting on the Jubilee; my english roots are showing!

I also thought :"Oh carp, this is way TBM's feel about Joseph Smith & such..."

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 12:04PM

Are the British people really OK with paying millions of pounds for a celebration of one of the wealthiest women in the world while the country is in a deep recession?

http://www.channel4.com/news/who-pays-for-the-diamond-jubilee

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 12:12PM

If you're big enough, you can get all sorts of free $#!t paid for by the government. Don't feel too bad: the U.S. does the same thing.

Date: June 05, 2012 01:41PM

Probably by wealthy royalists. In this year of the London Olympics we see this as a fitting way to sell our lovely country. Her Majesty is our greatest ambassador and we are hoping she will bring much needed revenue to Britain. The Olympics is our next event and we are up for that too.

Briggy

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 01:46PM

though some of it was paid for by donations, much of it was paid by the taxpayers.

http://www.channel4.com/news/who-pays-for-the-diamond-jubilee

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2012 01:47PM by Heidi GWOTR.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 12:15PM

I've watched coverage of the Julibee on BBC America and was very impressed. I love English history.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 12:16PM

We Americans may have rejected the monarchy on e upon a time, but we certainly havent rejected Queen Elizabeth!

From what I've read of her, she's extremely shrewd and politically astute. Didn't she voluntarily start paying the British equivalent of income tax years ago when the country was in an economic crunch? And insisted on a relatively modest wedding gown because Britain was still in the throes of post-war rationing in 1947.

Watching BBCA weekend coverage of her reign - I hadn't realized how lovely she was as a young woman. Diana had nothing on her in terms of glamour.

I think we can write off Charles as a monarch, but it seems as though William and Kate are going to carry on her legacy in fitting style.

Date: June 05, 2012 01:44PM

Without public support and approval for the Monarchy we'd be a Republic dontya know.

Briggy

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 02:08PM

Intellectually I think that I should dislike the monarchy as it does not really represent my thinking and ethics about humanity but I just can't bring myself to any strong negative feelings.

Instead, I like the Queen. I like that she stared at me from her official portraits hung on my classroom walls throughout my school years. I thought of her as my grandma because I didn't have a grandma, so she became mine. And she still is a bit, I guess.

Posted by: lbenni ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 02:12PM

I do admire the Brits...

They hold woman up and literally put them on a Throne...

Here in the states...we have the Men of The Constitution that we put on a Throne...

and no woman to speak of...except Michelle Obama--she rocks...and Condi Rice was great...

Posted by: jaredsotherbrother ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 02:34PM

Bugger your effin Queen and her secret little smile. She's an effin wart on the backside of England. As soon as you all get rid of her and her useless ilk, you can start being a real country.

Posted by: nomoinprovo ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 02:52PM

And aren't you a lovely human being to have to share a planet with.

Date: June 05, 2012 03:11PM

and what is up your butt Jarodsother?

wow...any reason for your view?

Date: June 05, 2012 03:18PM

Nothing much, and never anything larger than a pinky finger. Other than that, I do believe that the English monarchy has been at best, useless drain on the British economy since at least the 17th century.

Date: June 05, 2012 03:24PM

" From the end of the 17th century until well into the 20th century it was the most powerful navy in the world,[1] playing a key part in establishing the British Empire as the dominant world power."

seems like this is when Britannia was "conquering the world."

just sayin...

Date: June 05, 2012 03:31PM

The country, run by very astute traders and venture capitalists was doing that, whilst the Crown (composed of a bunch of diseased and inbred Germans who barely spoke English) was sucking up a fat chunk of that wealth.

Posted by: tensolator ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 03:30PM

I sometimes think the Queen needs to come over to the States and baby sit us. Of course Princess Kate could babysit me anytime.

Posted by: wings ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 08:29PM

A magnificent Diamond Jubilee.

Truly great to see the pomp, Royal Barge, the flypast and gun salute, ......and of course....the hats!!

To the Queen.

(Hugs to my lovely RFM Brit's)

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 10:04PM

Didn't go too well for Lady Diana either. Survival of the fittest, winner take all and all that rot...

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 10:09PM

"Anybody who can keep the same job for 60 years has earned a few parades. Loved the flotilla Sunday. The Brits are very good at pomp. We have the 4th of July, and the Superbowl halftime show, but this has been a 4 day party. Impressive. :)

Last Mormon leader who got the job in his twenties was JS, and it didn't go that well for him, gunned down in a frontier jail."

Didn't go too well for Lady Diana either. Survival of the fittest, winner take all and all that rot...

Personally, I like the parties and parades for Hitler and the Pope better. Now when the old girl croaks, THAT will be a big party, they will throw a funeral bigger than Kim Jong Il's.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 11:02PM

I am a loyal Canadian citizen, brought up my a VERY monarchist Scottish Mother to love and respect the Royals. Chuck was born about 6 weeks after me so I had a bit of an affinity for him....that is until he started running around on Dianna, opening his mouth and then sticking his foot in it on various topics. And over the years I get really irked when mt tax dollars are spent on Royal tours that are a complete waste of time IMHO. I appreciate the fact that The Queen has served undauntedly for 60 years and for the most part has been the pillar of class and good manners (well, except for when she acted on the unfortunate advice of her senior staff and dropped the ball when Dianna died). I wish her well though and understand fully, that there will never be another monarch like her, especially if and when Chuck get's to be King....(Will would be a far superior choice).

Posted by: sparta ( )
Date: June 05, 2012 11:44PM

How did the Queen drop the ball when Diana died? She was with her grandsons consoling them on the death of their mother!
The fool that was Tony Blair (as Prime Minister) wanted to parade her in front of the cameras at a time when grieving children should have taken precedence.

It's been a very sucessful weekend here - thoroughly enjoyed it, and she deserves it.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 12:34AM

Always willing to hoist a glass to the grandmother of that hawt ginger Harry!

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 12:48AM

The other day I saw a pic of the Queen smiling and looking down at something...it was on Yahoo...other people were with her too...the best pic I ever saw of her. She looked good. Way to go Queen....60 yrs....quite an accomplishment. Rather you than your son.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.