Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 12:45PM

This comment was posted below an article in the Salt Lake Tribune:

"Freedom of religion allows these people to use their 6 to 18 year old kids as free labor. And if they do get paid, the money goes back to the church through the kids parents. I was born in Colorado City in 1989, and left in 2008. And the rule was "they need to be at least 4 years old" to be on the job site."

Link to the article:
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/54245960-78/trust-utah-court-state.html.csp

The FLDS in Colorado City/Hilldale are fighting to get control of their money so that they can continue to use child labor, to provide sub-standard education, to pressure women into lives remarkably similar to slavery, etc.

So what do most of the politicians do? They ignore the human lives at risk and focus on legal blather:

"A federal judge ruled the state had no right to seize control of homes and businesses of a religious group without proving a crime involving the trust, no matter how nefarious the leader might be."

That phrase "crime involving the trust" is the red flag. Of course every crime committed in that colony involves the trust because it all revolves around money and property ownership. However, lawyers are arguing that a very narrow definition of crime directly related to the trust absolves all the FLDS leaders.

Sounds like hogwash to me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: June 06, 2012 12:49PM

Here's another comment from a reader of the SL Tribune article:

"Surely there is some form of criminal activity involving the trust when people whose homes were taken over by the trust are not receiving any form of compensation when they are booted out of the sect? Someone please correct me if I am wrong."

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.