Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: June 07, 2012 01:23AM

"[Professor Stephen H.] Webb [of Wabash College], who has studied Mormonism extensively as part of his academic study of theology, says that he came to this conclusion after reading the Book of Mormon.

"'I was utterly surprised,' Webb writes. 'I was not moved, mind you. The Book of Mormon has to be one of the most lackluster of all the great works of literature to have inspired enduring religious movements. Yet it is dull precisely because it is all about Jesus.'" [I guess there's a compliment in there, somewhere.]

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865557055/Mormonism-is-different-but-is-it-too-Christian.html?pg=all

It's significant that the professor made his judgment based on his reading of the BoM. I wonder if he has ever attended a Mormon worship service, where there is often little mention of Jesus Christ outside of the prayers.

Then again, we shouldn't forget that it is the "Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-day Saints" [note the OFFICIAL emphasis the church gives in their name to prove they're legitimately Christian].

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: snb ( )
Date: June 07, 2012 01:48AM

Most of Mormon doctrine is about some Christian concept that most Christian religions share. Atonement, communion, prayer in jesus' name are just some of the many doctrines that come directly from Christian sources.

I refuse to accept that a denomination is more Christian or less Christian based on the amount of times Christ is mentioned within a service. If that were the case, then most fornication would be Christian as well.

Posted by: mrwinternight ( )
Date: June 07, 2012 10:20AM

The Mormon church presents itself as some-what Christian. But when you look at the churches creation account, it deviates into praising Mankind for sinning and makes says it's a 'good thing' Satan was there to help bring about the fall.

Also, the temple is entirely pagan and the rituals are wrongly taken from masonic temple rites which are Satanic.

This religion is not as Christian as I was led to believe. (That's why I left it).

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: June 07, 2012 10:46AM

Reading the Book of Mormon convinced him?

Of course the BoM is all about Christ, Smith was a standard trinitarian Christian when he wrote it.

The problem is not that the Book of Mormon contradicts Christianity - it really doesn't. The problem is that the BoM contradicts Mormonism. NONE of the teaching/beliefs unique to Mormonism that separate it from mainstream Christianity are in the Book!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2012 10:49AM by caedmon.

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: June 07, 2012 09:36PM

"Webb, who has studied Mormonism extensively as part of his academic study of theology, says that he came to this conclusion after reading the Book of Mormon."

Yet, he came to his conclusions based on the BoM, when, as you note, Mormonism's unique teachings and practices have little support in that book. Wouldn't someone who "studied Mormonism extensively" KNOW that?!?!?!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 07, 2012 12:36PM

Ya think!.....it's all a ploy to align the Cult with the mainstream Christian churches, who will NEVER accept the MORG as one of them....even if Mitt beats Obummer....

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.