Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Delightsome White Boy ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 01:18AM

I asked to be removed from our Stake Directory and the Bishop said that the Church no longer hands out hard copies, and that the members information is now only available online. He said that it would be removed and then he told a couple of our old friends that we had requested to be removed. Nice confidentiality Bishop!

Is that true that they no longer exist? Supposedly LDS.Inc stopped producing them in 2009, I have a hunch Prop 8 supporters being outed by them may have been a factor.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: surfinitup ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 01:34AM

Our ward still prints them, but it's been awhile since I've seen a stake directory. Probably a local decision.

Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 11:35AM

Ward and Stake directories are to be maintained on the LDS.org website. You can log in and find contacts for your own ward or stake. You can only get addresses for ward buildings for stakes outside your own.

That said, our ward is still printing paper booklets. We are handing them out tomorrow during tithing settlement.

Posted by: anon for now ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 01:23PM

we only print and update them quarterly. I usually inform people who ask for one that the most current information is available online and the hard copies. at best, use information that is at least a month old. The direction from our Stake is to refer members online for directory information.

I have learned that there are a significant number of members who don't have a land line and prefer to control who has access to their cell phone number. As ward clerk, some expect me to know every members information. The conversation usually goes: "bro anon for now do you have a new number for bro xyz? he changed it a month ago and I need to get in touch with him." "I'm sorry, but who is bro xyz and no, he didn't provide me an updated number. I suggest you look on the website to see if he updated it there." What I really want to say is "I'm sorry, its not my responsibility to keep track of everyone's contact information. Maybe they changed it to avoid people like you, you arrogant prick"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.