Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: June 08, 2012 10:32AM

Maybe both? I am just asking, because it always felt like every other Mormon had a problem telling reality from fantasy. Then again, maybe once you figure out how to pull off that neat trick, you stop being a Mormon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: June 08, 2012 10:38AM

I came into the church as a new born child, and was perfectly fine.

after 20 years of mormonism and my TBM parents I started to feel crazy.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: June 08, 2012 10:49AM

Posted by: jezebel2mishies ( )
Date: June 08, 2012 11:11AM

I think the Church finds sane people who are in moments of emotional weakness.

Now, I've met many converts...and every single one of us seems to have at least one the following things in common:

1) We lack a sense of community at the time of our conversion. Some of us were newcomers to a strange place, or going through a big change in our lives that made us feel alone (a job change, a divorce, a death in the family, or the earth-shattering realization that maybe we haven't been pursuing our dreams)

2) We come from dysfunctional families. The image of a religion that values family relationships on the surface is very, very attractive to a young woman whose mother threw her out at age 17.

3) We are survivors of unhealthy relationships. I myself was licking my wounds from an abusive relationship with my ex-fiance. I was very intrigued by how NICE all these Mormon men were...from the missionaries, who were like a bunch of nice younger brothers to me, up to the Grandpa figures of the Bishopric. It was ironic, how, despite the fact that I held this attitude, I avoided YSA branches like herpes. Maybe because I understood them for what they were...a conspiracy to marry me off. Maybe this is why I'm the only convert I have met under the age of 30 who didn't get engaged within 6 months of converting.

Posted by: FormerLatterClimber ( )
Date: June 08, 2012 12:05PM

You nailed it. They seek out converts that are going through rough patches on life.

And yes, it's both nature and nurture. I have noticed though, a lot BICs tend to Unchained the shackles once they are able to make their own choices.

Posted by: AlmostFell ( )
Date: June 08, 2012 10:23PM

I think all of these applied to me in some way when I was investigating.

Posted by: jezebel2mishies ( )
Date: June 08, 2012 10:27PM

All three applied to me, too.

Posted by: jenn ( )
Date: June 08, 2012 11:53AM

My mama was bic but since my dad died 3 years ago she's gone hardcore.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: June 08, 2012 12:01PM

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: June 08, 2012 12:08PM

I'd say it's an even split between both. I saw a lot of missionaries baptizing people who had emotional problems and were looking for the solution to them. But then Mormonism, with it's lifestyle, judgmental attitudes and you-can-never-be-good-enough outlook, those problems became worse.

I also think that they take relatively normal people, who were just going through a tough time and join up, then wear those people down. One of the reasons for me to be happy I left Mormonism, is I looked around at all the 65 year old plus women I knew and I didn't want to turn out like them. It might be just the women I knew but they all seemed frantic about things that didn't matter, obsessed with what people were thinking about them, afraid they weren't doing enough and unable to converse about much that wasn't Mormon-related. Years of trying to reach impossible goals, mostly hidden from modern society, having to make sense of nonsense and having to obey someone else's goals for their lives had really done something to them.

Posted by: jbug ( )
Date: June 08, 2012 12:12PM

My TBM husband has some REALLY crazy relatives....I don't know if it is hereditary or because they're Mormons, or both.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 08, 2012 12:17PM

this phenom (vulnerable conversions) has prompted me to wonder what level of 'leadership' in Morland is aware of this.

When I was younger, they were 'Basketball baptisms' and they were on the way OUT.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: June 08, 2012 12:18PM

Posted by: sam ( )
Date: June 08, 2012 03:15PM

My experience tells me, that many individuals joining the church fit into one of the following categories:

1. Those going through very difficult times--low times in their life

2. Lonely people that are looking for acceptance. They like the attention they get

3. The types that bounce around always looking for something that will change their lives--they tend to be a bit unstable and usually do not last very long

4. Those that join the church because their spouse or girl (boy) friend is a mormon

5. Those that fall for the missionary teaching them

6. Families that like the family-orientation and the "families can be together" forever.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: June 08, 2012 03:19PM

Just when you think your life can't get any worse, someone tricks you into joining a cult.

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: June 08, 2012 03:28PM

The church attracts crazy people, and then it makes them much worse.

The church attracts semi-crazy people, and then it turns them into bugnuts flaming bonkers people.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 08, 2012 03:31PM

It seems like the generation a bit younger that me (63) are the real zealots....and locally especially in the Moridor.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: June 08, 2012 08:14PM

Which came first: Crazy stupid Mormonism, or crazy stupid Mormons?

Perhaps the point is moot.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 08, 2012 10:43PM

It is....

Posted by: Chicken'n'Backpacks ( )
Date: June 08, 2012 08:32PM

I've told the story before about a good looking girl in my junior high who had a kind of jerky alcoholic lawyer dad; they converted and all of a sudden he was a "great guy, pillar of the community" and she was adored by the LDS kids; the non-LDS'ers were thinking "WTF?".

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: June 08, 2012 09:32PM

Both! Both! I'm convinced.

Right now in the developed world all converts seem to be a few donuts shy of a dozen. A few bricks shy of a load. A half bubble off plumb. A few fries short of a Happy Meal. Not firing on all the cylinders. I mean the cheese be slipping off their crackers. And all the rest of the cliches.

Posted by: mcindy20 ( )
Date: June 08, 2012 09:58PM

I am a nevermo but my husband's family are TBM and I think they are nuts! Almost all of them are on medication also. They have no social skills and little friendships outside of the church. I have a niece who has very little personality since she was sheltered and homeschooled by her mom. She went to a church dance a couple of weeks ago and my MIL said she really opened up and had fun. My husband said to her, "now mom you do realize that being social at church is different than being social outside to the church?" I don't think my MIL got what he was saying, but I understood and agreed completely. My husband says his TBM family are lacking social skills. Not sure if this is an isolated case or happens to alot of Mormons growing up.

Posted by: hope ( )
Date: June 08, 2012 10:14PM

Jezebel2mishes...Exactly why I joined...at a most vulnerable place in my life. I have to say since finding this site and reading all the posts, I've laughed alot! Not a funny subject, but some of the comments are hilarious! But also some heartbreaking ones. Anyway, this site is making this issue I am having with my daughter bearable. :). Thanks ya'll for making me laugh!

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: June 08, 2012 10:36PM

Well, the church certainly cultivates craziness. It takes a certain mentality to believe things that are clearly false. Mormons are constantly prevented from developing their critical thinking skills. They're also bombarded with beliefs that are beyond crazy.

As for attracting crazy people, I would say more so than ever. Crazy, but also very needy, lost, desperate people. It all comes down to cause and effect. A crazy church attracts crazy people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2012 11:00PM by canadianfriend.

Posted by: pragmatic ( )
Date: June 08, 2012 10:56PM

Since I moved to Utah from another State....I am certain that the church makes it's members crazy and that crazy people are born into the church! Maybe it's genetic...maybe it's inbreeding..I don't know. However I do know that I've never met anybody on antidepressants in my life until I moved to Utah. Everybody is depressed here!! The utah mormon culture is oppressive! Just being around and having to listen to everybody's angst..anxiety, depression, jealousy, petiness, judgements..it's enough to drive you crazy like them. I am serious! You have to be cognizant of your environment and other's behavior so it won't gradually and slowly affect your own health and well being.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.