Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: biblebeltbetsy ( )
Date: June 12, 2012 11:14PM

I've seen some atheists, agnostics, and even a few pastafarians....so how do you identify/what are your beliefs now?

Right now the easiest way to describe myself is 'confused' lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2012 11:15PM by biblebeltbetsy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cfutahn ( )
Date: June 12, 2012 11:21PM

I don't identify in any particular way spiritually now. I believe there's something greater out there than all of us, but I don't think any of us can really know what that is.

I get all my "spirituality" from meditation, music, and interestingly--exercise (yoga, dance, any form of physical activity.)

I just like to tell other's that I'm "New Age"--or a hippy, whatever. I don't think I'll ever be part of a religious organization again. I don't like to have anyone tell me what I should believe or what I should do about my belief system.

Posted by: nolongerin ( )
Date: June 12, 2012 11:40PM

believes in social justice, and that love wins.

Posted by: possiblypagan ( )
Date: June 12, 2012 11:53PM

I'm seeking something that fits. I am finding Eastern Orthodox to be interesting at this time.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: June 13, 2012 12:05AM

I like secular humanism. I know, it's supposed to be a negative label. But take a close look at those who depise humanism. Who do you want in charge of your social security?

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: June 13, 2012 11:03AM

Although I attend church on a regular basis. I attend a Unitarian church and just spent a year on the search committee for our new minister. We did a survey of the congregation at the beginning of the search and one of the questions was how they identify spiritually. 'Christian' was about 5th highest answer. The most (over 50%) identified as secular humanists. There were agnostics, athiests, pagans, Jews, Christians, Buddhists, and "others." So yeah, people who say UU is not a religion in itself may have a valid point, but the religion of social justice and acceptance doesn't have to have a sky daddy to make it relevant. We found a wonderful female minister who also identifies herself as secular humanist. Probably a contridiction in terms "secular" and "minister," but if anyone's sermons make me want to be a better person, it's her's. And more of a contradiction might be my saying that I hate organized religion. But living in Utah Valley East (the Bible Belt), that's where I find like-minded people, wonderful friends, learn ways to work with others to enact change, and can teach children the kinds of things I wish I would have raised my children with instead of cult brainwashing.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: June 13, 2012 09:50PM

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: June 13, 2012 12:08AM

The spirit of any thing is it's pure essence, not all the things piled on top.

A spirited horse, one of my favorite spirits, has no religion, no philosophies, no new age reason for being. It runs for the pure joy of running. It leaps because it can.

The spirit is what's left when everything else is stripped away. Something distilled to its most unencumbered form. That purity is powerful. A knowing look. A hungry touch. A sip of gin?

You can't chase it. You can't find it if you are looking. But in those moments when you turn too quickly and all pretense falls to the floor, and all that is left is pure innocence, then spirituality will lighten your heart. And then it will be gone, and you still won't know what it is.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: June 13, 2012 12:09AM

I'm an atheist now, but I know there is a transcendent spiritual component to my mind. Lately, I've been trying to enjoy the present moment instead of filling my mind with future and past. I'm learning to meditate.

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: June 13, 2012 01:12AM

I was baptized Orthodox as a child, I see that as my valid baptism, and don't really care one way or the other. I'm going to be me and explore life the way I want to. No rules, no "making myself a better person." Life is about fun, memories, the people I love, and adventure.

EDIT: How did my iPad autocorrect "me" to "hung"? Hahahah sorry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2012 07:23PM by flyboy21.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: June 13, 2012 02:31AM

Hamsa kriya yogi, cultivating kundalini shakti.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: June 13, 2012 11:04AM

As an independent.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: June 13, 2012 11:13AM

I believe that from an evolutionary standpoint that we are animals.

However we have evolved to have language, complex society, and rational thought.

This means that although humans are capable of acting in an animalistic way that we can choose to be something more. As doctor Who would say we can choose to be extraordinary.

We can make to choice to be humane. This choice to be and act humanely is what I would call "god". It is the spiritual or even divine aspect we possess as homo sapiens that allows us to be humane instead of animal. I see the human race becoming more humane over time and believe there is a positive forward trend. I see quality education as the primary catalyst for this increase in humanity.

I believe that supernatural, superstitious, and mystical beliefs are all invented by humans. I believe there are very specific reasons that humans have evolved to believe these things:

1) The human brain is incredibly adept at making inferences. For example if we get sick after eating a mushroom we infer that the mushroom was responsible. It may or may not be true, but in the world of survival of the fittest, "better safe than sorry" is a good policy. Inferring incorrect and supernatural answers is just part of being human - we have to work very hard to overcome these natural inferences and confirmation bias.

As such I find the valuable essence of Christianity to be the teachings such as "love they neighbor as thyself. Who then is my neighbor...", Paraphrasing ... the greatest commandment is love, etc. Unfortunately I see organized Christianity more as as a vehicle for the opposite in so many cases...

2) There was a point in human history that working effectively in a tribe or other social unit was the primary indicator of survival. The social aspect of human survival is huge (also true with primates, but even more so with humans who have the capacity to specialize.) The ability to identify with, believe what the tribe believes, and follow a charismatic leader or cause was at one point a huge survival advantage.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2012 11:24AM by bc.

Date: June 13, 2012 11:17AM

Also as a father, both when I was TBM and now as I identify myself as a atheist I have considered this to be my primary inspiration for what is most important to me:

My child arrived just the other day
He came to the world in the usual way
But there were planes to catch and bills to pay
He learned to walk while I was away
And he was talkin' 'fore I knew it, and as he grew
He'd say "I'm gonna be like you dad
You know I'm gonna be like you"

And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
When you comin' home dad?
I don't know when, but we'll get together then son
You know we'll have a good time then

My son turned ten just the other day
He said, "Thanks for the ball, Dad, come on let's play
Can you teach me to throw", I said "Not today
I got a lot to do", he said, "That's ok"
And he walked away but his smile never dimmed
And said, "I'm gonna be like him, yeah
You know I'm gonna be like him"

When you comin' home son?

Well, he came home from college just the other day
So much like a man I just had to say
"Son, I'm proud of you, can you sit for a while?"
He shook his head and said with a smile
"What I'd really like, Dad, is to borrow the car keys
See you later, can I have them please?"

I've long since retired, my son's moved away
I called him up just the other day
I said, "I'd like to see you if you don't mind"
He said, "I'd love to, Dad, if I can find the time
You see my new job's a hassle and kids have the flu
But it's sure nice talking to you, Dad
It's been sure nice talking to you"

And as I hung up the phone it occurred to me
He'd grown up just like me
My boy was just like me

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: June 13, 2012 11:24AM

Spirituality is the ability to rise about one's fears and live in the present in such a way that you everyone around you wins.

I call it the win/win church.

My personal path to that place is through Buddhism; however, I have no more energy to give to any movement other than helping people who are leaving Mormonism.

The rest of my life my efforts will go to helping my family recover their connections to their true selves and relearning truth--that the natural man is not evil, that there is no original sin, and they were born fine and their uniqueness is not cause for confession but for celebration.

Anagrammy

Posted by: winternight ( )
Date: June 13, 2012 11:20AM

I consider myself a spiritual gypsy, although I mostly identify myself as an open, liberal, christian. I still believe in God although I've had to redefine that concept, and I believe that spirituality can be found anywhere, in anything.

Posted by: Craig ( )
Date: June 13, 2012 11:29AM

In reading your question and the responses from others made me stop and think. How do I identify spiritually?

Well, first and foremost I do not and never will again want anything to do with organized religion, and especially any religion that has as part of its belief system any part of the bible. I have studied a little about Hinduism, Buddhism, Pagan, and other ancient beliefs. I find that I can relate to some of each of them but none of them resonates with me completely. I am more inclined towards Earth centered beliefs such as Paganism.

I don't call myself an atheist simply because I don't fully accept that there is nothing beyond us humans and that when we die that is it. I have studied a lot about reincarnation and near death experiences and the evidence for me is more than I can simply dismiss out of hand.

I fully believe that our purpose here is to learn how to love others without conditions and that karma is the only law we have to answer to. Beyond that I have no clue and to be honest I have a long way to go in learning to love others unconditionally. I have come a long way on my journey but I still have a long way to go before I can focus on higher purposes.

Date: June 13, 2012 11:31AM

As you I am currently very turned off to organized religion.

However, if I did ever feel a desire to return I would try out unitarian universalist. It seems to me to be what religion "should" be.

If I can ever get past religion being about power and money...

Posted by: Samantha Baker ( )
Date: June 13, 2012 11:41AM

I AM a spiritual being. I evolve and change. I question. What I am today, may not be who I am next year. It is ok to try different things, use some, reject some/all. The biggest thing I learned...

TRUST YOURSELF.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: June 13, 2012 11:45AM

Posted by: Smiling dog ( )
Date: June 13, 2012 06:57PM

Damnit! I was going to be a Sith Lord, but there can only be one at a time...

...do you need an apprentice?

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: June 13, 2012 08:08PM

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: June 13, 2012 11:46AM

I am a Christian. I was a Christian before I joined TSCC. I remained a Christian while going to and being a member of TSCC despite the errors of TSCC. My beliefs never changed.

Posted by: Minnie ( )
Date: June 13, 2012 05:24PM

I don't believe in a formal god per se but I do believe in energy, if you want to call that god then so be it, I believe thoughts have energy whether they're positive or negetive. I draw/provide energy from love, kindness, compassion and try to stay away from hateful or hurtful things which I think also creates energy just not what I want. I believe we are all connected and when jesus said 'when you do it unto the least of these my brethern ye have done it unto me' that's what he actually meant. I don't believe in reincarnation in the traditional sense, I think when Budha was meditating and came up with the thought that he was an elephant, dung beetle, etc. basically everything that lived he was also saying that his energy is a part of everything.

Sort of like the butterfly effect what we do does matter because we are a part of the universe.
I think when we die our energy disperses and I do believe life is in and of itself a type of energy. I don't believe it necessarily stays conscious but could become part of life force in anything. That's more a Pocahontas, everything has a spirit kind of deal.

Posted by: dragwit ( )
Date: June 13, 2012 07:50PM

breatheagain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't believe in a formal god per se but I do
> believe in energy, if you want to call that god
> then so be it, I believe thoughts have energy
> whether they're positive or negetive. I
> draw/provide energy from love, kindness,
> compassion and try to stay away from hateful or
> hurtful things which I think also creates energy
> just not what I want. I believe we are all
> connected and when jesus said 'when you do it unto
> the least of these my brethern ye have done it
> unto me' that's what he actually meant. I don't
> believe in reincarnation in the traditional sense,
> I think when Budha was meditating and came up with
> the thought that he was an elephant, dung beetle,
> etc. basically everything that lived he was also
> saying that his energy is a part of everything.
>
> Sort of like the butterfly effect what we do does
> matter because we are a part of the universe.
> I think when we die our energy disperses and I do
> believe life is in and of itself a type of energy.
> I don't believe it necessarily stays conscious but
> could become part of life force in anything.
> That's more a Pocahontas, everything has a spirit
> kind of deal.

This sums up my beliefs as well. Well put breatheagain

Date: June 13, 2012 07:53PM

Too bad their isn't a better term than "energy"

I believe in potential energy, electricity, heat, light, etc.

Very different than mystic fields...

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: June 13, 2012 05:25PM

I define spirituality as the good feelings once convinces their self that they are having, when they really want to believe something is true.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: June 13, 2012 05:32PM

I don't care whether or not god(s) exist. I wouldn't live my life any differently either way.

Posted by: lbenni ( )
Date: June 13, 2012 06:17PM

some already good posts...

my spirituality is freedom to trust myself...awareness and respect for my intuition..

self preservation...self love, self empowerment, owning my self..

really it is all about me...

That is it in a nutshell.

Posted by: diableavecargent ( )
Date: June 13, 2012 06:50PM

It's all political now. Leave me alone, I'll leave you alone. I can't find the energy to care if there is anything after this. The morg has killed any concern on that. I'm trying to come to grips with being alive, and actually trying to live now. It is king of cool when you abandon guilt and shame.

Date: June 13, 2012 06:51PM

+1

Abandoning the concepts of "sin" and "becoming perfect" have been extremely liberating.

Posted by: lbenni ( )
Date: June 13, 2012 07:57PM

Yes...energy...without energy or inertia, one would be dead..

Spirituality is life....apathy is just about dead...sitting around waiting...waiting...

for what..

Posted by: Joseph's Myth ( )
Date: June 13, 2012 08:03PM

Homo Sapien Sapien, "Wise Wise Man"
What is wise?
Accurate discernment of truth and judgement between right and wrong.
What is a wise, wise man?
One who knows that he knows, one who not only understands the truth, but speaks the truth, knows the difference between right and wrong and acts accordingly.
It could take a lifetime to accomplish real sapience, yet we label our species, Homo Sapien Sapien. You're automatically a homo sapien sapien the moment you're conceived, but how many of us actually earn that name after we're born? How many of us are actually wise, wise men? I can name a few.
Sam Harris, Dalai Lama, Nelson Mandella, Eckhart Tolle, Ayan Hirsi Ali, and the list goes on.
And a bunch of dead ones, but few and far between, right?
Shouldn't we all aspire to be Sapient, since, that's how we all label ourselves?
For me, that's plenty to live up to.
I don't need to label myself as anything other than a human being. That's my tribe. Anything smaller than that just creates an us vs. them mentality, which is what we need to transcend, overcome to fulfill our potential.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.