Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Odell Campbell ( )
Date: June 15, 2012 10:07PM

I remember years ago, a sensational post about a lady who discovered that the truth claims of the LDS church were bogus and she left the church very quickly together with her entire family. She and her husband called their son home from his mission and let him on the Mormon's dirty secret - that its not true.

At first I disbelieved her because of the incredible nature of her story. It took me years to come to terms with what took her seven to ten days.

I don't remember her screen name. Does she still post here? What is the rest of the story>>

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: toto ( )
Date: June 15, 2012 10:10PM

Amazing Grace (or something like that).

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: June 15, 2012 11:25PM

...amusing grace, that was her name.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: June 15, 2012 10:11PM

I don't know but when I was an investigator living in Beaverton, Oregon this other couple in my gospel doctrine class pulled their daughter out of BYU in a flash and left in a rush! I wish now she would have warned me before I got sucked in to this sh it. Now I'm stuck in a mo marriage 10 years later

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2012 10:12PM by suckafoo.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: June 16, 2012 12:05AM

The family lives in Salem, Oregon. I met them all at an exmo get-together in Eugene. All of them delightful and adjusting well to live after Mormonism.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: June 16, 2012 12:16AM

Isn't she writing a book? Does anyone have contact with her. I remember her posts as being very well-written. It certainly is the year for it...

Anagrammy

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 16, 2012 08:49AM

I think that was hard for some RfMers to believe, but it was 100% real. They drove up to the wardhouse where their son was attending church and motioned him into the car and drove away with him. He believed their objections and they helped him pack up his missionary apartment before they took him home to Oregon.

The mom said the apartment was a dump and the mishies had not been allowed to spend necessary funds on food or cleaning supplies. The cupboards were bare and the place needed cleaning. The mishies wanted to clean it but had no money for the simplest supplies.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: June 16, 2012 09:03AM

Mrs. Martin is doing quite well as is her family. Ex-mormon progressives to be sure.

We're friends on Facebook.

Timothy

Posted by: Odell Campbell ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 09:55AM

Thanks for the updates. I am glad the family is doing well.

Posted by: hope ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 10:59AM

Oh, wow! I so wanted to kidnap my daughter, but she is now married. I wonder what the future holds for her. Good for them, a happy ending. :)

Posted by: dazed11 ( )
Date: June 20, 2012 02:09PM

Wow what a cool story about getting her son off his mission. I am glad he believed her. I am not sure what I would have done if my mom and dad came to my mission to pick me up. I might have been angry with them. I left the church pretty quickly as well once I started researching. Maybe two weeks. It happens that way for some people but other people mull it over for a long time before making the move.

Posted by: A Musing Grace ( )
Date: July 09, 2012 06:44PM

So I thought I'd check in, since people are asking how we are doing.

The end of May, was our five year anniversary of freedom. it has been amazing how quickly the time has passed.

My son is now 25, and in his last year in a computer engineering program. He is happy and content. When we went to North Carolina and approached him, he really was resistant to seeing us. He would not look at any of the info we'd brought along. We got him to agree to come home by promising him that we would send him back in two weeks if he wanted to return. He really believed he was being given an Abrahamic test. Sad....

Anyway, when he got home, he studied and looked over everything
and came to the same conclusion the rest of the family did in less than two days.

As we began the journey back to our home, his relief was palpable. He is a really intelligent person who questioned the faith, but had faith in us, his parents. That trust is us, was what allowed him to come home and figure it out for himself.

My husband, A Mazing Man, and I will be having our 27th anniversary this fall. We now have enough income to travel from time-to-time. Something we never did as full tithe-paying
Mormons.

Life is rich, full of interesting adventures, and we are happy as we navigate life on our own terms. I am a spiritual person and feel connection to whatever it is that we are all a part of.

My kids now range in age from 14 to 25, and we are grandparents to a beautiful boy who will be two in December.

I used to be more angry and resentful of my Mormon experience, but have made peace with it to the point that when we were on a family vacation in San Diego, I had no problem visiting the Mormon Battalion site. My husband had an ancestor on that and we wanted to check it out. I would not have been able to do that until this year. It was a bit awkward for the missionary guides trying to figure us out. And funny when they struck out when asking my 14-year-old if he was going on a mission. :-)

We never have elders come to our door EVER. They did the first year and after that I think we got black listed because I had some pretty interesting things to tell the young lads about my past. Heh, heh...

I have though about writing the story of my life in and out of Mormonism but really am not sure another memoir on this subject would add much.

People think that I decided to leave the church overnight. While I came int my decision in a few weeks of being on the RfM site, it was many years of getting to the place where I lost my fear of what I might find, and had enough trust in who I had become, to be able to move forward.

I had no idea what my husband would do. I hoped we could still be married, but needed my connection to my true self so much, that if my marriage ended, so be it. I was really fortunate that my husband quickly was able to access those parts of himself that he had been stuffing down in misery for years, and look the facts in the eye and be able to say to our family across the table, "We are leaving the church and we are going to be better people for it."

No words were more aptly spoken. Yes, we are not only better people, but happier people.

I appreciate everything that everyone here on the board did to help us in our journey.

Life is good, I'm in my 4th year of working in real estate and am having much success with that. It's been an incredible adventure living life on my own terms and watching my family do the same.

Posted by: Riverman ( )
Date: July 09, 2012 08:19PM

Did you and your spouse grow up in the Salem area?

We are very close to the same age. I was out in Stayton Ward.

It is always nice to find out someone you knew got out of the church.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: July 09, 2012 09:06PM

I have been wondering how all of you were doing. Has it really been FIVE years! Wow, time does fly. If you get over my way drop me a line and maybe we grab lunch.
ExMoLight@gmail.com

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: July 09, 2012 06:54PM

with a little ring around your head, a snake under your feet and a card that says,

"Amusing Grace, the patron saint of exmormons, also known as LOL"

Anagrammy

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.