Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anona ( )
Date: June 17, 2012 11:16PM

Whats up with that- is that part of correlation now?
Mothers day was all about Mothers in the ward I attended with many heartfelt tributes from Children.
Today in Zion on fathers Day after a brief mention from the counselor on wishing all the fathers a Happy Fathers day... Nothing about Dad's Day from the pulpit... Zero
A Missionary and Stake guy talked yet again how we are not doing enough. They handed out a candy bar after the closing prayer.
A neighbor near me said $10k in tithing and all I get is a Hershey Bar?

I want that 1 1/2 hrs back!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wisewoman ( )
Date: June 17, 2012 11:24PM

Sounds like the same thing as the no Easter program.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 17, 2012 11:42PM

and he said they had a missionary farewell. I was rather shocked by that. Sounds like it must have been church-wide?

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: June 17, 2012 11:47PM

Fathers don't need a special day since they have the power of the penishood every day. The church makes a big deal on mother's day because women are 2nd class church members every other day.

Posted by: Every Member a Janitor ( )
Date: June 17, 2012 11:48PM

Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 03:54PM

It had a little ribbon and a note attached. I imagine all the fathers at a church got one so he made sure I got mine. I'm sure the little bag of candy was the highlight of the 3 hour block for most men. I'm also glad I didn't have to sit through the borefest for that little treat.

My son didn't say anything about it, just put it in my hand and said "this is for you".

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 04:06PM

My ward's SM was about Father's Day, although the youth speaker droned on and on about the WOW.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 04:33PM

er............

Someone said they re-named it to 'Worship Service';
any truth to that?

Posted by: exmodaddy ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 04:41PM

I saw that they're calling it "Worship Service" on their website. Of course, it would more accurately be called "Worship Joe Smith Service".

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 04:42PM

Bishops determine the subjects of sacrament meetings - sometimes the stake president's will tell the bishop to do something.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 06:00PM

Nothing in SacMtg in DW's ward, in holiday-loving Hawaii.

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 08:40PM

... imagine if he had opted for "net" instead of "gross" blessings.

Tombo Monson's A8 Security ain't gonna buy itself! Work harder, Morgbots! Eff your Father's Day! Get in there and earn Tommy a new water rights deal in New Zealand!

Posted by: onlyme ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 09:31PM

I told my wife i'd go to church on father's day so when my kids go up with the primary to sing to the fathers they'd have someone to sign to. They've done that for every mother's and father's day for the past ten years in every ward we've been in. But this year, nothing. No primary choir in sacrament meeting. Not the usual candy bars or cookies, not even the father's day card made in primary.

Posted by: jezebel2mishies ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 09:42PM

...most of the sacrament meeting was turned over to the YW, who just came back from camp, and Seminary graduates. Kinda interesting, huh?

Posted by: introvertedme ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 09:46PM

Our son and daughter-in-law were asked to speak in SM - he was to talk on the family, some on fathers, and patriarchal blah-blah-blah. She was asked to speak on...mothers. The motherly role in the home. The maternal instinct, etc. ??

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 09:51PM

Apparently fathers don't count any more.

Maybe they realize most of the little primary kids don't know who their dads are because they're at the church in their spare time. Wouldn't want the kids getting all emotional about someone the church has taken ownership of.

Either that or dad's left the church and mom's still dragging the kids there to prove her point. The last thing the leaders want is mom explaining to the kids why dad no longer believes.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 10:13PM

The role of fatherhood is not important to the mission of the church.

Men are known by their callings as a rank of their value. Fatherhood is not one of them and this really shows it.

Family oriented church, my sweet behind. Except for children adding to the ranks at baptism, they could care less. Just keep 'em in the pews on Sunday, make sure they show up for their baptisms and ordination, send them on a mission that you pay for...

and give us their inheritance before you die.

Anagrammy

PS. Family strengthening, like honoring fathers, or having fun together, or fun as a ward, all has been correlated away. Being part of the community effort to alleviate suffering has been correlated away, however there's plenty of money to block gay marriage. Sorry--couldn't resist throwing that in.

Posted by: VultureTamernotloggedin ( )
Date: June 18, 2012 10:41PM

Ours was a typical Father's Day program. Forgettable at best, but the kids were cute singing, as always. One cool thing that the women in the ward did was bring treats and cold cut sandwiches for the men to eat during the last hour. Funny part was, it was supposed to be a surprise. But say thirty women baking treats and taking a plate to church, and then when questioned by husband, says, "oh, its a surprise, don't tell the other guys".......uh, don't you think they all know by now since the other 29 couples just had the same conversation? Lol.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.