Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: December 11, 2010 05:37AM

I said not to bother because it is full of lies. Then I went full-on, telling her that Smith was a paedophile, lied to get sex with little girls. The cult lies in their handbooks and lesson guides.

I told her the cult opposed or opposes ALL civil rights fights - blacks, women, gays. She said the Blacks were denied rights because they were evil before birth, she had not heard of women and didn't believe it because she said marriage is a partnership - ergo equal. She said the cult was against the gays because the scriptures opposed gay marriage. I told her gays aren't mentioned once in the Mormon books, and gay marriage never mentioned in the Bible.She didn't believe me.

She didn't believe me when I told her that the cult views dark skin as a curse for evil doing. She is a Pacific Islander and was defending this racism.

She was remarkably ill informed, but I suppose any member has to be if they are still a member. She was a temple goer, so I asked her if she knew about the death oaths that were removed. No. She said she had heard about them from an AOG preacher but did not believe. I told her to ask someone in her ward who had been to the temple in the early 80s.

I really felt sorry for her. She has just got her son back from a mission, and struggles paying a full tithe.

She is a mushroom - kept in the dark and fed BS

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 11, 2010 06:10AM

Yes, she's very ill-informed and deluded.

You hit on the three aspects of why I'd never give a cent or a second of free labor to the morg. It's racist, sexist, and homophobic.

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: December 11, 2010 05:39PM

I agree it's best not to discuss religion at work. But if someone said they were going to send me the Ensign I'd have the exact same response.

Several years ago it turned out I worked with the local elder's quorum president. He came up to me at work and asked me if I wanted home teachers. I told him, "F*ck no!" It was shortly after that I had my name removed.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: December 11, 2010 05:47PM

I'd say, "I'm sorry, but I will not have any Mormon propaganda in my home." LOL

It really confuses them when you react negatively like that, because they think everything Mormon is so absolutely wonderful.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: December 11, 2010 05:51PM

when they found out that we didn't have a subscription any more. It totally pissed me off, because they waited til I had to leave the room to take a phone call to ask my DH. He makes like twice what this man (who brought his wife instead of his comp to this HT session) does so it's hardly like we need him or the church to waste their money to fill our garbage can. DH didn't want to hurt his feelings so he just said thank you. They showed up with a loaf of bread this month and an Ensign and Friend. The Ensign went in the basket of magazines to read by the master bath, in case DH asks and the Friend, which is way too young for my kids, went right in the garbage. But so far, they haven't gotten a subscription yet. I wish DH had just said "No thanks" but I think he's been trained to think people trying to be nice are the same as people actually being nice and that saying no is rude. Although he seems to be able to tell me no just fine.....

Anyway, that's totally aggravating and I'm glad you gave her something to think about.

Posted by: Jon ( )
Date: December 11, 2010 06:14PM

It sounds to me like you wanted the confrontation, after all, you said you told her not that she asked.

If she was pushing her faith onto you then fair enough but it looks like you were looking for a victim to vent off at and picked on someone weak.

That's bullying.

Posted by: amos ( )
Date: December 11, 2010 06:21PM

Oh...my...god

The brethren would be dismayed to hear that this is still being thought, nevermind spoken, out in the stakes.

Decades of PR and curriculum scrubbing, and yet she speaks it matter-of-factly like it was spoken in conoffense this fall.

Admit it, TBM, your God is racist. Even best-case-scenario, He did it to bless the Seed of Cain and the Lamanites, it was for their own good, and in the end they have chance as...whites, to be...white.

"Broken Things to Mend" you know. Don't worry, blacks will be white again in heaven.

IT'S BULL SHIT !

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: December 11, 2010 08:50PM

And she is a Pacific islander Mo, so I assume she thinks she is a Lamanite/Nephite type. So how does she explain her own skin tone? Was she unrighteous in the pre-existence too? And all her kin?

Or was she unrighteous in this life? Either way, she has some 'splainin' to do...

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: December 12, 2010 01:21AM

Yes. It used to be "fair white and delightsome" now it is "fair, pure and delightsome". I'm not sure of the year it changed but I grew up reading the bom with the "white" bs.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: December 12, 2010 02:11AM

I don't suppose the lady has read this verse: Alma 3:6

"And the skins of the Lamanites were dark, according to the mark which was set upon their fathers, which was a curse upon them because of their transgression and their rebellion against their brethren, who consisted of Nephi, Jacob, and Joseph, and Sam, who were just and holy men."

also verses 7, 8, 9, 10.

Posted by: MikeyA ( )
Date: December 11, 2010 09:54PM

for a long time, still speak about "the curse of Cain" as a fact to each other. The older TBMs in my family still believe blacks were "less valiant" in the pre-existence etc etc. Sure they wont say it from the pulpit, but will talk about it after class or in each others homes, if it is "safe" to do so.

One old family member does so much damage to the church by explaining the "deeper doctrines" to converts when they have been in long enough to get the "meat" explained to them.

One day he didnt wait and explained in elders quorum to a 1st time visiting investigator how the jews are the most wicked people on the most wicked planet and that is why they could crucify their saviour. Eveyone in the room was squirming and the missionaries never baptized the guy. Btw, he didnt make that up, that comes from some old apostles writings that was published in a set of about 7-8 volumes IIRC. Wish I still had the quote.

It's the old people who have been in the church a long time, that I hope never leave. The ones that remember when they were proud to be a peculiar people, they were mormons not christians and almost spat out that word when they said it.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 12, 2010 03:10AM

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: December 11, 2010 06:31PM

Could lead to a "hostile work environment." Bad for everyone.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: December 11, 2010 06:55PM

I think it would have been better to tell her, "No thanks. I really wouldn't read it and you are wasting your time." If she persisted Iwould have told ther that you don't think religion should be discussed at work.I think going after her beliefs aat work was inappropriate. She was inappropriate too if she started the discussion and was trying to proselytize you.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: December 11, 2010 08:30PM

written up, and/or fired depending on how hostile it was.
Sounds very hostile to me.
If you value your employment, I'd suggest you keep your mouth shut about religion while in the work place, from now on.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: December 12, 2010 12:55AM

She could still complain to your supervisor if you have rules about religion in the workplace. I would be careful, particularly if the superiors are Mormon.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: December 12, 2010 01:59AM

I used to live in Hawaii and Polynesian TBMs bugged me so bad. They definitely don't have a problem with the racism because of the whole "I'm a Nephite-Lamanite" BS. I always got the impression that they viewed themselves as more righteous than Blacks so the racism didn't bother them. Plus the church kissing the Hawaiians asses and telling them they were a "chosen and special" people in order to secure a bunch of prime island real estate.

Ugh.

Posted by: Chonerhead ( )
Date: December 12, 2010 02:23AM

My guess is that you two will be lovers by Groundhog's Day! Face down ass up, that's the best way to handle one of these kind!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.