Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: milkb4meat ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 05:25PM

Many years ago I lost a sister (age apprx 3) I shared this with my ex TBM wife who said that when I go to "the other side" my sister would be there to greet me but be in an adult form not the same 3 year old form when she passed away. Anybody else "tought" that?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 05:27PM

She might believe that, but there is no way she knows if that's true.

I've also heard everyone will be like they were at about age 23.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 05:35PM

...that everyone would be adults and in a perfected state similar to decathletes. Or maybe like the muscle-bound BoM paintings. Never mind genetics, I guess.

Posted by: jezebel2mishies ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 07:54PM

Really? When I was 23, I changed my hair color every month...about every color of the rainbow at some point. I presume I would have an LDS approved hair color? lol

Date: June 19, 2012 08:00PM

I have a brother who died at birth.

I was told that during the resurrection, he would come back as the baby he was when he died, but then his parents would have the chance to raise him from that state...assuming they would make it to heaven. But then he would teach them the gospel (my mother and the baby's father are nevermos...who had him out of wedlock...I'm thinking he won't be seeing them according to MormonGod).

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 05:28PM

I know the church teaches that parents will get to raise those children in the millenium. Umm... maybe they're all adults in spirit paradise while waiting for the ressurection?

Posted by: cantbsabser ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 05:32PM

the mormon church teaches alot of stupid stuff

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 05:34PM

I was always taught that physically and spiritually we would be changed to our "best" form... which usually meant somewhere in our twenties, at peak physical condition (i.e. not overweight or unhealthy), otherwise, what would be the point, if everyone were left at the point they died, I don't think many people would look forward to life after death, especially those with multiple physical and mental aliments at the time of their death.

I don't know, however, if there is any set "doctrine" that is written down anywhere that confirms this. I don't think I've ever seen any printed material with that in it, though it might have been mentioned in conference a time or two. I think it's more a "common sense" doctrine or a faith promoting rumor that people just accepted.

Date: June 19, 2012 08:01PM

I always wondered about the sickly...the ones who were weak and fragile in every period of their life. I always got "umm"s and "uhhh"s at that one.

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 05:35PM

"Some women are unable to raise all their children to maturity, because their children die at an early age. The Prophet Joseph taught that many of these children were too pure and lovely to live in the corruption on earth. Even as we mourn their present loss to us, we have reason to rejoice because they have been delivered from evil. (See Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, sel. Joseph Fielding Smith [1976], 196–97.) He also taught that those who die before the age of eight are saved in the celestial kingdom (see D&C 137:10). The mothers of these children, if they live faithfully, will raise them to maturity during the Millennium (see Joseph F. Smith, Gospel Doctrine, 5th ed. [1939], 455–56)."
http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?locale=0&sourceId=3e707befabc20110VgnVCM100000176f620a____&vgnextoid=88021b08f338c010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 05:55PM

But I've also heard that the mentally handicapped were especially valiant in the pre-existence, so God made them special so they would be protected from Satan in this life.

A quick search shows a few folk stories still floating around:
http://www.lds.net/forums/lds-gospel-discussion/14475-mentally-handicapped-people-7.html

Excellent article about Mormonism's silly teachings on the pre-existence.
http://timesandseasons.org/index.php/2008/01/mormonisms-poisoned-theodicy/

Not everybody buys it, though.

T-Bone

Posted by: cantbsabser ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 05:38PM

they've also taught:

-people live on the moon
-people live on the sun
-black people were less valient in the pre existance
-satan is Jesus's brother
-Adam is God
-You can be a god
-not think just follow because the thinking has been done
-the bom was translated but actually JS had his head in a hat
-JS was a dumb farmboy but both his parents were teachers
-I can go on and on with more stupid stuff.....

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 06:10PM

Excellent point.

I recently saw a special on the Qur'an. They said that Muhammad had to be uneducated and unsophisticated orphan for the Qur'an story to work. They even drew parallels to Joseph Smith.

Both Muhammad and JS drew on vast written resources that were available at the time their books were written.

Once again, for the Qur'an story to work (that Muhammad received it as revelation straight from Allah) he needed to be illiterate and unsophisticated. Sound familiar? A poor, dumb farm boy? It's a miracle!

That these books have demonstrably plagiarized passages lifted directly from contemporary literature is used by apologists to put forth a new argument that "God (Allah) gave a little bit of truth to everybody, but only the one true prophet got the whole truth."

T-Bone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2012 06:17PM by T-Bone.

Posted by: Moroni Marten ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 06:35PM

There are 2 forms - the spirit body and the ressurected perfected body. After death the spirit leaves the body and goes to interim place called "Paradise" (or Prison if bad). The spirit takes an adult form - just as it did in the pre-existence. So, if you were to die and your spirit leaves your body, you may, indeed, be met by other spirits in "Paradise" - all of whom will be in adult form - including children who died.

However, during the millenium (the 1000 years after Christ's second coming where he reigns supreme over all the earth) children who died will be resurrected in CHILD bodies and will be raised to adulthood in full righteousness until they reach their perfected form. All others will be ressurrected in their full "glorified" and "perfected" adult forms. Any inperfections that people suffered during mortality would be gone.

After the 1000 year reign, the earth will be "glorified" and turned into a great urim and thummim and become the CELESTIAL KINGDOM for those who qualify for that reward.

All of this information can be obtained from the writings of various LDS prophets over the years.

Posted by: snowowl ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 07:52PM

At least one of them was wrong.

"But as the child dies, so shall it rise from the dead and be forever living in the learning of God It will never grow: it will still be the child, in the same precise form as it appeared before it died out of its mother's arms, but possessing all the intelligence of God. Children dwell in the mansions of glory and exercise power, but appear in the same form as when on earth, Eternity is full of thrones, upon which dwell thousands of children reigning on thrones of glory, with not one cubit added to their stature.
— Prophet Joseph Smith, Journal of Discourses, 1844, vol. 6, p. 10

"All spirits are in adult form. They were adults before their mortal existence, and they are in adult form after death, even if they die as infants or children."
- President Joseph F. Smith, 'Gospel Doctrine,' p. 455
and 'Gospel Principles,' 1992, p 290

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: June 19, 2012 07:59PM

I heard this from non mormons, they died and then came back to earth

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.