Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: December 11, 2010 05:11PM

Nope, related to William Brewster, though.

Thanks for the link - very interesting!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: December 11, 2010 05:58PM

Mine is Stephen Hopkins.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Ancestry.com is owned my a mormon right? Not the mormon church, rather a mormon member.

Posted by: Steve ( )
Date: December 11, 2010 06:37PM

Mayflower passengers were NOT blue bloods cousin Levi. ;-)

I am related to 14 MPs that I have been able to link so far. I am decended from both Stephen Hopkins and his servant Edward Doty. Both have interesting criminal histories, Hopkins having been sentenced to death on his first trip to the americas but was pardoned, and Edward spent a couple of hours in the stocks for fighting the first duel in plimoth colony.

http://www.amazon.com/Caleb-H.-Johnson/e/B001K8CUYA/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1

Here I shall die ashore is the life story of Stephen Hopkins told in a geneological/family history sort of way. The Mayflower book tells the tale of all of the passengers.

Nathaniel Philbrick's Mayflower book is probably the best read re: the general history of the voyage and the founding of plymouth colony and the dealings with the americans whose land they invaded.

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: December 11, 2010 07:06PM

I like societies, but sometimes they take the focus off the many other ships, and immigrants. Mayflower descendants, and DAR have evolved to have their own prestige associated with them. I have no problem with that, as long as we remember all of them, because all ancestors can be interesting. The fun thing about royal ancestry, and some of these societies, is that there is generally more information available about those ancestors, and it is more accessible. That is why I mostly ignore my New England ancestors, because I know I can find a lot of information on them if I get bored, and I also know that everyone else is working on those same lines. I let them do the work for me, and every few years happily look for what they have published in journals. For most of the research I do in Germany, Russia, and Sweden, I am the only person researching these families.

I think I have one Mayflower ancestor, but I have not verified it.

There are ancestors closer to nobility. I am descended from Colonel Nathaniel Littleton, Dr. Richard Palgrave, Oliver Mainwaring, and a few others.

Posted by: VintageVera ( )
Date: May 10, 2011 12:34AM

A direct descendant of Steven Hopkins as well as an exMormon. We have a lot in common!

Posted by: Sandie ( )
Date: December 11, 2010 06:23PM

Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: December 11, 2010 06:22PM

I am related to a few of them. Can't remember all of the names though off the top of my head.

Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: December 11, 2010 06:24PM

Yeah, Brewster is one of them, who in their right mind would name one of their kids Wrestling?

Date: December 11, 2010 06:27PM

Posted by: JoJo ( )
Date: December 12, 2010 04:57PM

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: December 13, 2010 03:14PM

Posted by: Aperry58 ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 12:24PM

According to my research of my grandmother Winifred doty I was able to trace back to edward doty

Posted by: Summer ( )
Date: December 11, 2010 08:56PM

...I'm a direct decendant of William Bradford. He's my 12X great-grandfather (I think, I'd have to go back and count.) I'm related to him through my great-grandmother.

Date: December 12, 2010 11:29PM

A portion of the passengers were pilgrims, but almost half were not.

More than half of my mayflower ancestors were adventurers and two were servants, one to a pilgrim and one to an adventurer.

You do have a good point about the teabagger similarity though, the pilgrims didn't come here for religious freedom, they had that in Leiden. They came to the americas so they could raise their kids away from such freedom.

Date: December 12, 2010 11:29PM

Posted by: Archie DeBunker ( )
Date: December 11, 2010 10:46PM

No offense intended, but weren't they the ones good King James threw out of his kingdom for being extremist religio-political activists?

...you know, kinda like the fundamentalist tea-baggers of the 17th century?

:)

Date: December 12, 2010 04:48PM

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: December 12, 2010 11:18PM

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: October 15, 2012 05:06PM

Posted by: augiedogie ( )
Date: December 13, 2010 02:13PM

"Wrestling" is bad, but they used crazier ones back in the good old days. Alice Morse Earle mentioned an American Puritan child named "Free Love". The 60s part of me absolutely howled.

Posted by: Riao35 ( )
Date: October 15, 2012 04:13PM

I am the 12th descendant of Edward Doty. My grandfather did our genealogy a few years ago. I have the certificate on my wall.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: October 15, 2012 05:06PM

I think these old names were great: Resolve, Humility, Prudence, Patience, etc.

Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: October 15, 2012 08:53PM

I have an ancestor named "Thankful"

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: October 15, 2012 09:07PM

Augie dogie
My friends Yorkie's name is Augie dogie. You're probably related:)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2012 09:08PM by Mia.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: December 13, 2010 02:20PM

Posted by: bdawn ( )
Date: December 13, 2010 03:14PM

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: December 13, 2010 03:29PM

Posted by: bdawn ( )
Date: December 13, 2010 03:40PM

That doesn't sound familiar right offhand, I'd have to go back and look at our records.

Funny bit of a story...

Years after my TBM ex and I split up, one of our daughters needed to do some sort of Mayflower project. They must have mentioned it to their grandparents because then they wanted to get on the phone with me and give me all sorts of genealogy info because they felt so special to be Mayflower decendents. She was taken aback when I stated that my side had Mayflower ties, but she was speachless when she learned that both our family lines went back to the same guy. Good ol Edward.

So yep, I married my 17th cousin. Or my 5th cousin 12 times removed. Or my 17th cousin 17 times removed. However that works.

Posted by: anony ( )
Date: May 10, 2011 09:39AM

We knew a Doty family a long time ago in the Hemet stake. They were nice people.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.