Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: December 12, 2010 04:10PM

The lesson was "Gifts of the Spirit"

1. When talking about how some people who are "not righteous" also get flashes of inspiration ... how about we talk about this concept a little bit longer? Does the Lord share the Gifts of the spirit with those not of our Faith?

2. When talking about the gift of translating -- How did JS actually translate the BOM? A stone in a hat?

3. When talking about how speaking in tongues should be expressed (not like those crazy people in other churches) -- Did you guys know that BY spoke in gibberish (the pure adamic tongue) and that JS translated for him?

4. When quoting the part of D&C that talks about Oliver's gift of Aaron -- Did you guys know that the original was the "rod of Nature" ... at least in the Book of Commandments. Why was that changed I wonder?

5. When discussing that even the word of the prophets should be challenged through prayer ... we should ask God and he will reveal it to us -- What if God tells us that the prophet if wrong? Did you know that David Whitmer believed that JS was a fallen prophet because God told him so?

It went on and on -- needless to say: Bad NOM day at Church. I look to my left and to my right and all I see is Zombies. I'm venting, but I'm also annoyed I couldn't squeeze in these thoughts into the lesson. argghhhh.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: utahmonomore ( )
Date: December 12, 2010 04:24PM

I didnt realize this till earlier today, or at least I never gave it too much thought...There have been thousands of edits on the BOM.
Yes, JS did have a magic rock...now c'mon, do you really believe that...Maybe LD$ Inc could use that magic rock to magically make some desperately needed cash for the Jesus mall in SLC.
Look at the Kinderhook plates. They were made by some blacksmiths in the 1840s and these same men hid them in the hills for JS to find, as they were going to prove he was a liar and a cheat and an idiot all at the same time. Well, he found the plates, and the rest is history. Unforunately that history got swept under the rug. He was kicked out of the Freemasons, so he stole their ideas for his Temple rituals...It's true, compare the chants, handshakes, signs and such.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: December 12, 2010 04:24PM

How frustrating. That's why I can't go to church anymore knowing the truth. I couldn't keep my mouth shut. It took me a long time to accept the fact that church wasn't at all for learning and growing but for the members to stroke eachothers egos. No thanks.

Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: December 12, 2010 05:20PM

I bet eventually you will find a way to say what you want to and who knows who it will help?

Ages ago, my DH (drdad) was teaching temple prep classes to a couple who were being "reactivated." The guy asked why one had to pay money to go to the temple? Shouldn't its blessings be independent of cash?

Drdad told me about it. He felt the guy was dead on accurate, why should money be a factor? We didn't get right up and leave, but it was another nail in the testimony coffin.

So, when you feel ready, you will have lots of well rehearsed responses to deliver.

Good luck!

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: December 12, 2010 07:37PM

Elder's Quorum?

I thought the Sunday weekly meetings consisted of Sacrament Mtg, Priesthood/RS, and Sunday School.

I asked about Elder's Quorum meetings for 2 hours in addition to the 3 hour block with the other Sunday meetings a few weeks ago and was assured that no such thing happens.

What gives? This nevermo needs some clarification, please.

Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: December 12, 2010 07:39PM

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: December 12, 2010 07:41PM

Thanks!

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: December 12, 2010 09:21PM

You will squeeze in those thoughts one day. I think you have to so you don't become a zombie like the others. Maybe they would perk up if you asked challenging questions. It is a shame you feel tongue tied in that church.

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: December 12, 2010 09:23PM

Why didn't you pick the one thing that really hit you in the gut and just innocently ask? You don't have to pile it all on at once, but one question a week, honestly seeking answers, is fair. Go for it!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.