Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 01:13AM

HOW TO KNOW THE BOOK OF MORMON IS TRUE

God's method is simple: we read the Book of Mormon; we pray and ask Him to tell us that what we've read is true and He answers us through feelings of peace and assurance given by the Holy Ghost.

First of all, we have to study the Book of Mormon diligently, applying its principles to our own lives and doing our best to understand the lessons that God wants us to learn.

Second, we have to pray “with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ.” We need to hope and believe that God will answer us, and we may have to pray more than once.

Last, we need to be willing to accept the answer when it comes, however it may come. Believing that the Book of Mormon really contains the word of God means that we will be willing to live up to the standards of faith and obedience He describes in it. God has promised that He will bless us with much more than it takes to live up to His high standards.

http://mormon.org/book-of-mormon?gclid=CNrIgZ_V8rACFQY0Qgod4EMWpg

Anagrammy

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 01:43AM

Praying with a sincere heart really means making up your mind before hand.

Posted by: rosemary ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 02:42AM

I always thought so. I think the reasonable brain wants neutrality first.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 10:39AM

Dead ON.

Posted by: motherfreaker ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 01:50AM

>> First of all, we have to study the Book of Mormon diligently, applying its principles to our own lives and doing our best to understand the lessons that God wants us to learn.

This is new. Is used to be simpler: ready and pray. There was never "applying its principles".

Brainwashing and manipulation at its finest.

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 02:13AM

1) So using the same logic, one should apply and live the principles set out in any other 'sacred book or text' to determine if it is true as well? Or do Mormons reserve this right only for their own book?
2) How long do you need to do this for? Is this the get-out clause, such that if you haven't received an answer then you need to simply continue......on and on..... put the blame back on the investigator.
3) How do you really apply everything without actually being baptised, getting the holy ghost, taking sacrament and basically operating as a member? So missionaries can now say its less important to have an answer before you get baptised and thus manipulate people.
4) Classic confirmation bias, circular reasoning and brainwashing. Live as a Mormon, with the Mormons and give them a chance to get their claws in.
5) With so many different religions to choose from and so little time to really investigate all of them, you'd think that God would make it a little easier to get an answer. Would God condemn the Muslim who spent 50 years trying to live principles of their sacred texts and then decide not to look at any further religions because they feel peace with these?

Posted by: Onmywayout . . . someday ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 02:33AM

"Classic confirmation bias, circular reasoning and brainwashing"

Or as we used to call it, the "commitment pattern."

1. If you don't get an answer, keep praying. The problem is you, not the book.

2. If you ever have any doubts, keep reading and praying. The problem is YOU, not the church. Reference: just go peruse the MD&D board and watch for what they say to any doubter that dares asks questions.

Hey TBMs, especially all of you that keep telling me 2 over and over again, GO F*&% YOURSELVES!!! I am tired of your mind games.

Now I just need to drum up the courage to say that in real life.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 02:44AM

Mormon leaders should hold a Fund Raiser:

"Greased Doctrine" (like Greased Pig).

that's it, I'm going to sleep.

Posted by: tawanda2011 ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 02:53AM

Anagrammy, I don't know how to send message to just you, and I know this is off topic here. I don't post real often and am not computer savvy, but just want you to know what a great person I think you are. Love your posts, your philosophy about life and willingness to be open with people. I have learned alot and hope to one day meet you along the trail.

Posted by: tawanda2011 ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 02:53AM

Anagrammy, I don't know how to send message to just you, and I know this is off topic here. I don't post real often and am not computer savvy, but just want you to know what a great person I think you are. Love your posts, your philosophy about life and willingness to be open with people. I have learned alot and hope to one day meet you along the trail.

Date: June 29, 2012 07:35PM

Thank you for your kind words. There's nothing I love better than meeting exmormons in person.

Talk about quality people- to have faced expulsion from the tribe for the sake of integrity, what is a better recommendation than that?

I plan to attend the Exmormon Conference in October--hopefully you can make it. I look forward to meeting you!

Anagrammy

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 09:28AM

I'm not an RM, but was taught by missionaries in the late 80's when I converted to 'the gospel'.

This is what they taught me:
The BoM is true, pray like Moroni suggest and God will manifest the truth of it unto you by the power of the Holy Ghost. In fact, if the BOM were not true he would let you know also, but because it is, He will manifest it.

There was no, pray more than once and hope that you will receive an answer, or live what it says before you can get an answer. Definitely new wording that leaves room for accomodating the unanswered prayers about the BoM, or the fake it till you make it idea.

D

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 09:45AM

The Holy Ghost gave me the answer after sincere prayer, THE BOM IS NOT TRUE BUT IS A FRAUD.

Posted by: anon for this ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 09:48AM

This is a fine example of Mormons telling lies. Moroni's promise was written for the Lamanites.

Moroni 10
1 I write unto my brethren, the Lamanites

2 And I seal up these records, after I have spoken a few words by way of exhortation unto you [the Lamanites].

3 Behold, I would exhort you [the Lamanites] that when ye shall read these things,

4 And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you [the Lamanites] that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you [the Lamanites], by the power of the Holy Ghost.

Lamanites never existed. The Holy Ghost ends up manifesting the truth to people that are not real.

Posted by: Dallin A. Chokes ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 10:13AM

But I thought it was written for OUR day! (wink, wink).

Posted by: anon for this ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 10:35AM

For imaginary people in our day.

Date: June 29, 2012 07:44PM

Maybe he didn't have the Holy Ghost to tell him that neither the Holy Ghost or the Lamanites were real.

But you, Investigator, can count on the Ghost. Or be lead down to destruction by Stan (sic).

OOOOOR, you can use your common sense and ask yourself why God gave you an analytical brain if he didn't expect you to ever use it. Wouldn't it have atrophied in the pre-existence? Who knows what our appendices used to do that isn't getting done any more?

Your common sense tells you (especially if you are a woman) that you are supposed to decide if things are true or false USING YOUR BRAIN.

Mormonism clearly wants you to use only the brain stem. Wonder why?

Anagrammy

PS. My favorite part is the living the principles of the Book of Mormon. Which conflict completely with D&C132 which commands that polygamy MUST be practiced as a prerequisite to exaltation. Somewhere on earth every thirty minutes a Mormon wakes up to the fact that the principles of the gospel contradict each other and that he has been OWNED big time.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 10:02AM

The obvious circular reasoning:

1. First you must have "faith in Christ" (a Jew or Muslim can't possibly ever apply the test)

2. Then you will know that the BoM is indeed "another testament of Jesus Christ" (which you had to know before you asked the Holy Ghost)

Posted by: Chicken'n'Backpacks ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 10:12AM

First of all, we have to study the Dodge Truck Manual diligently, applying its principles to our own lives and doing our best to understand the lessons that Chrysler wants us to learn.

That's how I roll. No prayer needed (unless I'm almost out of gas)

Posted by: ishmael ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 10:13AM

I have been out of the loop for a long time. When did Heavenly Father become God? In language--not rhetoric or semantics. In my days of church lessons, the g-word wasn't used as much as the term heavenly father. HF preserves the patriarchal ring.

What really struck me was "word of God." It truly is the language of mainline Protestantism.

"The Lord" used to be thrown around a lot too, and that one is a more universal term. Interesting that the "heavenly father" language has disappeared and "god" is now in heavy use.

Posted by: rosemary ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 11:14AM

Hey, you're right! I never noticed that before, but you're right. I remember my parents making fun of friends of ours (only behind their backs, like Mormons do) who began prayers with "Dear God". My dad did a lot of smirking when talking about how other people practiced their religion.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 10:45AM

anagrammy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Last, we need to be willing to accept the answer
> when it comes, however it may come.

This is the great part. We are supposed to accept ANYTHING as a YES answer. Found our keys in time to make it to the beauty salon in time for the appointment? That must be God telling us the Book of Mormon is true. Saw a shooting star the night after praying? Obviously God did that just for me to tell me the Book of Mormon was true. Had a peaceful feeling? Obviously the Holy Ghost testifying.

In other words, it's YOUR responsibility to get the "revelation" somehow.

Mormonism is a religion that has made God superfluous.

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 12:01PM

Well, according to the Book of Mormon scripture, you need to pray and ask if the Book is NOT true.
So, logically, if the answer is yes, then the book of mormon is not true.

Posted by: rander70 ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 12:20PM

forbiddencoke drinker hit it right on the head. Your mind is already made up once you pray with a sincere heart. Why do they go so much off of feeling? Jesus said "If you love me, feed my sheep." That means go out and SERVE PEOPLE. Dont just pray that the book is true, GO LIVE IT TO FIND OUT IF IT'S TRUE! Anyone can get a feeling, but only people who have LIVED the gospel can say that it is true. The thing is if you tried to go out and live the book of mormon, you would have multiple wives and kill mixed children. Cant do that, right? It's not socially acceptable. I love to compare mormonism to christianity because it shows that mormonism truly is a wolf in sheeps clothing that claim they love Jesus. They dont care about people, they care about control and money, money, money!!!

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 12:52PM

Does this mean I have to pay tithing before I get my sign from Heavenly Father?

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 01:02PM

I'd better pack up my family history records and give them to some other family member to keep. Otherwise I may find someone trying to lop off my head while I'm drinking my evening glass of wine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2012 01:03PM by Mia.

Posted by: tiptoes ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 01:24PM

Giggles incessantly! ;)

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 01:42PM

#3 continued...

...This also means that we need to be willing to accept that the Book of Mormon is a fraud if we do not get an answer. Otherwise we are not being fully honest with the Lord.

#4 We must be willing to critically analyze any answer that we receive to ensure that we are not subject to confirmation bias, circular reasoning, or any other logical fallacies. We must explore all possible explanations of the answer to our prayers, and we are sure that the only explanation that will withstand scrutiny is that the answer came from God, telling us that mormonism is true.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.