Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: doc21hansen ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 03:20PM

In my blog (http://www.doc-21.blogspot.com/) of why I left the church after 57 years, the one that the whole LDS Church sits on is Joseph Smith. I read books on Church history and doctrine for 30+ years. Not one of them written by ex-ed or non-Mormon. JS was a sex addict. He secretly "spiritually" married young girls and married women including most of his apostles wives while their husbands were on missions execpt for Sarah Pratt, wife or Orson Pratt. JS told her he got a revelation to spiritually marry her and consumate that marriage and she told him NO in no uncertain terms. The next sunday, JS the prophet of god called her a slut over the pulpit. JS used the story of the angel appearing with a sword in hand commanding he live plural marriage (what happened to free agency?) so these women would hop in bed with him. All of those times JS was tar and feathered and you were told at church it was due to his beliefs? A Mormon historian said it was due to JS being caught in bed with someone's daughter, sister or wife.

If there was a real god and not just space aliens that posed as the gods of this earth, this god IMO wouldn't choose a glass glasslooker treasure hunter, self induced drugged revelator and sex addict as his PR man.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mav ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 03:25PM

and wanted folks to give him $$$.

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 03:31PM

I don't think Joe can be classified as a sex addict.
I think the proper term is sexual predator.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 03:34PM

Well, we probably don't know enough to judge his addiction level. I'll give you that.

Couldn't he be both?

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 03:55PM

yep, that's fair :)
can I add
narcissist
megalomaniac
charlatan
cad
and cur
to the list?

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: June 30, 2012 12:52AM

What leads me to believe he was a genuine sex addict was the fact that he added a wife a month for a couple of years there, so it does appear that he was feeding an appetite for variety.

The *real* religious leaders tend not to indulge their carnal appetites. Think Buddha, Ghandi, Jesus, etc. Quite the opposite. Their state of advanced enlightenment freed them from some of the "burdens of the flesh" shall we say and lead them to celibacy.

Only the fakes we all remember so well are caught with their pants down luring children into the barn. Can you imagine the Dalai Lama calling a woman a slut from the pulpit?

Let's hear it for common sense. At no other time in history did God choose evil adulterous pedophiles as his chosen representative.

Anagrammy

PS. If you doubt that your hero Joseph Smith was a sexual pervert, check out www.wivesofjosephsmith.org. You decide.

Posted by: Ponti ( )
Date: July 15, 2012 10:22AM

Posted by: neveragain82 ( )
Date: June 30, 2012 06:26PM

I believe the psychlogical term for what he was is a psychopath.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopathy

Posted by: moonbeam ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 03:51PM

Yes, yes, yes.....
...wait, what about space aliens? It just got weird.

Date: June 30, 2012 02:17AM

Sorry about dropping the aliens/gods of this earth bomb. But, once I started researching Genesis 6 and researching nephilium, giants, the sons of god that took earth women as wives, and then you read the whole old testament a few times, read the about the fiery chariots in Ezekiel and Elijah's experience being taken in one, Moses and the children if Israel followed a cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night and YHWY, Yahweh or Jehovah was in that vehicle. The answer I came up with was aliens, the high tech gods of the old testament. Look at ancient stone structures like those at Baalbek in Lebanon. Blocks weighing over a 1000 metric tons were quarried and transported in prehistoric times would invite uncomfortable questions on what technology had made it all possible since it would be nearly impossible today. The same problems exist with the great pyramid. Additionally, the stones fit incredibly snug. Look at megalithic stone structures of south Amertones gigantic stones found quarried miles away and transported up steep mountains. Impossible for us today. Very tight fitting joints. Technology we can't duplicate. Stones in egypt show precise machining. Impossible to be done with supposed copper chisel tools. Experts say it had to be with computer guided diamond bits. Same with the Pumapunku temple complex in Bolivia. Precision stone cutting that experts today said would be almost impossible to duplicate. Start watching the series ANCIENT ALIENS on the History2 cable channel or see some of the series on YOU TUBE. I don't buy all they show there, but a lot of it gives one moments to pause and think who the real gods this earth are.
DOC

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 11:51PM

I think we may tend to underestimate the engineering abilities of ancient cultures simply because we don't have a record of how they did it. For example in areas of Peru (particularly Cusco) it is readily visible where the Spaniards built vs. the Spaniards. The lower halves of walls, which were built by the Incas are tightly woven patterns of rocks, you can't pass a butter knife between them after 500 years, and upon these sections of wall are bricks, of uneven array, seemingly in decay, although much newer, which were built by the Spaniards. I am queasy with the idea that ancient cultures with seemingly sophisticated engineering were inspired by aliens, I am more comfortable with the idea that they developed sophisticated construction, but left little in the way of records.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: July 15, 2012 10:19AM

Because everybody knows that all the generations before us were so rotten-stump dumb they couldn't even avoid pissing on the tops of their own feet, so any technological advantage they may have possessed couldn't possibly have been developed by them.

Funny how those arguments tie so very closely with the theories and agenda promoted by white supremacists and eugenicists who claim that the blanket intellectual inferiority of our little brown brothers is a genetic defect only curable by having been born white in the first place.

I buy that like I buy the verity of the Book of Mormon. IOW: NOT.

Posted by: runtu ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 03:55PM

IMO, he was addicted to power, wealth, and sex, and was willing to go to extreme lengths to get them.

Posted by: truthseeker ( )
Date: June 30, 2012 12:56AM

+1

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 03:57PM

There seem to be fewer older people like you and I on this forum who have awakened to the fraudulent claims. Most must be too set in their ways, or have totally succumbed to the Kool-Aid.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 10:13PM

I'm 61 and have gone "total apostate" within the last two years. I read NMKMH and several other scholarly works about Mormon history. Stopped going, stopped tithing, burned garments.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2012 10:16PM by rationalguy.

Posted by: wanderingsheep ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 04:18PM

This is what always got me. They expect me to believe that an angel could take the time to come down with a flaming sword to get polygamy going, and then say, "oh by the way, for the most important part of the religion, the temple, go see what those masons are doing... they almost have it correct."

And this unnamed angel could't take 2 minutes to explain, "oh by the way, those lamanites you keep talking about. They aren't the american indians. Just so you know these guys are actually from asia..."

I just blows my mind, this was the tipping point for me were I couldn't justify being a part of TSCC anymore.

Posted by: runtu ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 04:24PM

Think about it:

The church starts up a bank that is doomed to fail and will result in massive apostasy. No angel appears to stop it.

The church bans black people from having the priesthood, despite there being no doctrinal justification for it. No angel appears to stop it.

Brigham Young orders handcart companies to save money, resulting in the loss of many lives. No angel appears to stop it.

The church spends a lot of money buying forged documents, resulting in two deaths and a lot of embarrassment for the church. No angel appears to stop it.

Joseph Smith wants to get laid. An angel shows up just to make sure he does it.

Date: June 29, 2012 11:00PM

Oh . . Don't get me started about the Kirtland Anti-safety Society Bank. Silver and gold coins covering boxes of rocks to show the saints how solvent their bank was and get them to deposit with their bank.

How many frauds can Joseph Smith be involved in before Mormons wake up to the fact that they've been had?

The answer to Church history was the the GAs ordering a rewriting of it and a mandate to the saints to only read books approved by them. The new "faithful" history of the church.

No wonder the members are leaving in droves. What took me 30+ years finding and buying rare expensive church books to read can now be done free at home on the Internet where you can read read concentrated materials all researched and footnoted for your convenience.
DOC

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: June 29, 2012 04:28PM

As a sex addict, I am insulted that you would lump me in with that common pervert, Joseph Smith.

Can you still be a sex addict if you are not getting any?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2012 04:28PM by forbiddencokedrinker.

Date: June 29, 2012 04:52PM

I didn't say JS was perverted. He just was calculating enough to get a variety of women, single and married, young to more mature - long before Craigslist. LOL
Doc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2012 12:35AM by doc21hansen.

Posted by: jbug ( )
Date: June 30, 2012 12:42AM

He was also a LIAR and a CON MAN.

Must not for get those too!

He was really a sack of sh**t.

Date: June 30, 2012 02:26AM

The LDS Church still believes in prophets today. Just look at all their business corporations around the world. We thank thee oh god for a profit . . LOL

And what about Joseph Smith sending some of the apostles out to sell the copyright to the Book of Mormon. He was a prophet for profit.

What a guy.

DOC

Posted by: SayHi2Kolob4Me ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 06:26PM

We should redo all the lyrics of that song to reflect the real values of the church.

Posted by: janet ( )
Date: June 30, 2012 06:44PM

Grant Palmer details Smith's sexual advances to six different women in three different states. I think he used his skills at conning people probably every time an attractive female came into his view.

What a pig.

Posted by: deepcreek ( )
Date: July 13, 2012 11:17PM

He ripped the members off in the Kirkland banking scandal and he conned them into paying $2400 for the papyrus in 1835 from a traveling showman.

He was a menace to society. Additionally he hit on every woman he could every day of his evil life.

imo

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 05:58PM

"Sexual addiction is best described as a progressive intimacy disorder characterized by compulsive sexual thoughts and acts. Like all addictions, its negative impact on the addict and on family members increases as the disorder progresses. Over time, the addict usually has to intensify the addictive behavior to achieve the same results."
http://psychcentral.com/lib/2006/what-is-sexual-addiction/

Progressively intense behavior. JS could no longer get off on just 1 or 2 women. He had to have more and more.

Coupled with his sex addiction, he was a very charismatic personality. He was able to con people and make them think he was speaking for God. He was broken. I wonder if he had any shame at all.

T-Bone

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 06:32PM

JS would probably answer yes to every single one of those questions. It's well documented that most of those were yes questions for him.

interesting.

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 07:02PM

Why don't TBM's also honor Warren Jeff's? Same thing.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 09:58PM

Did Pratt catch him lying with a man?

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: July 14, 2012 10:02PM

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: July 15, 2012 10:10AM

The problem of sexual addiction is a horrible condition that is said to inflict half of our population. They say you can recognize sufferers because the condition also causes them to grow hair on their face and to have the inability to see dirty dishes piling up in the sink.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.