Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bored on friday ( )
Date: June 30, 2012 12:42AM

Any tips or advice? I'm a 20-ish never married single dating outside TSCC for the first time. I'm so used to morg-style dating that I'm feeling a little lost without all the rules and the intense pressure get married ASAP.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: June 30, 2012 12:44AM

Are you male or female?

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: June 30, 2012 12:47AM

I remember asking this exact same question about five or six years ago. I had no idea how to meet people and I got some good advice from the folks here.

Three ways:

1. You have a good group of friends that constantly meets other friends. There should be many males and females to choose from in that situation. Sometimes friends go out to the bar specifically to meet women/people for the purpose of making friends and meeting new partners.

2. You find various activities that are interesting to you. Clubs of all sorts like book clubs, hiking clubs, etc are good places. Libraries, conventions, classes, cool eating joints and gaming stores are other great places to meet people. The more people you meet, the more women/men you meet.

I'm not sure if there are any 20 something exmo groups out there anymore, but back when I was a 20 something exmo I used to hang out with the Young Apostates. That might be another interesting avenue to go down.

3. Online dating. Okcupid and plentyoffish are probably the best two sites out there.

When I was younger or living overseas, #1 and #2 provided me with the most people to date. As a 30 year old most of my friends are married and #3 is the easiest way to meet new folks.

Good luck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2012 12:50AM by snb.

Posted by: Superfly Apostate ( )
Date: June 30, 2012 12:47AM

Yes. Have fun. Do what you enjoy and learn to share what you don't get but the other person enjoys.

That's it. Have fun. Get to know someone together and separately. It rocks.

Any other advice- be your best for the first few dates and show off; be polite; GO TO TACO BELL (seriously, you find out what someone is like by the way they treat the person behind the counter at Taco Bell- that's how they will treat you in a few years; don't worry about where it will go just enjoy what is happening; find out what is non negotiable for you (e.g have kids no kids etc); and make sure you make nookie something that can be discussed- know what you like and ask for it and vice versa.

Morg style dating is a bit intense so take it down a notch. Morg style dating is goal oriented so back away from that long term eternal fiesta and think wow I want to make tonight memorable or fun or whatever. Morg style dating is end of the world what if this is it- normal dating is wow that person was great and I want to be around them again.

Above all else remember what Homer Simpson says- "Trying is the first step towards failure".

There's lots of failure in dating. Sometimes you blow it, sometimes the other person blows it. And sometimes you blow it together and stick together.

Have fun.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.