Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: June 30, 2012 12:31PM

The Church used to give out a sheet with all the ordinances in a family every year back around 2000 when I left the Church. They used to hand these out saying something like "Here's a copy of your membership record. We just want you to have a copy for your own records. Also, if you could tell us about anything that's missing or incorrect, that would be great." I formally resigned in 2002, and my parents received a sheet showing my confirmation date as blank, and that's how they found out I had resigned. Dad sent me a scan of the record without comment, and later he told me about difficult the whole thing had been for my mother, etc.

My question is this: Do they still give out those family ordinance records every year?

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: June 30, 2012 06:13PM

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: June 30, 2012 06:18PM

I'd like to know the answer also...

Posted by: resipsaloquitur ( )
Date: June 30, 2012 08:37PM

I saw my parents' most recent info sheet two weeks ago, and although i resigned two years ago it still listed my baptism/confirmation date. There was nothing on the sheet to indicate that I'm no longer a cult member.

Date: June 30, 2012 09:29PM

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 30, 2012 11:35PM

I have been of the opinion that LDS Inc had some legal exposure by removing membership status of children. Once you pass 18, your personal membership status is nobody else's business, including your parents. It is not a public record.

I think LDS Inc could be successfully sued for invasion of privacy, if it could be shown that their membership sheet was what let the cat out of the bag about your resignation.

If they in fact no longer delete the ordinance dates of resigned children/spouses on membership info sheets, it makes me wonder if either they got sued, and settled out of court and changed their policy, or if they preemptively changed the policy on the advice of their attorneys, fearing a lawsuit.

So, if anyone is resigned or knows someone who is, and can get their hands on a current membership info sheet that would include that person, I'd love to know if their ordinance dates are still listed. PLEASE return and report!

Posted by: notmo ( )
Date: July 01, 2012 01:16PM

topping....

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.