Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SayHi2Kolob4Me ( )
Date: June 30, 2012 11:14PM

I did a search and couldn't find any posts about this. Forgive me if this is old news.

Heaven is for Real for Kids is a best selling children's book by a 3 or 4 year old boy named Colton Burpo. The little boy died, visited heaven, came back to life and told his parents of his experience and they turned it into a book.

I came across it at Target today. I guess it's been out for a year or so. I read the whole thing while standing in the aisle.

It starts out pretty sweet and there is a white horse with rainbow hair. Upon seeing this illustration I suddenly believed in heaven again. Any place that has horses with rainbow hair has to be real (or Ponyville). FYI: it's Jesus' horse.

It talks about how much Jesus loves everyone especially children. Each statement is paired up with a scripture supporting it.

Then the kid gets into some amazing details for a child to provide. He tells of the angels Gabriel and Adam. He says that God sits on a golden throne and the angel Gabriel sits by him with a flaming sword. Then God tells the boy that he's answering his daddy's prayer and is sending him back.

Without knowing anything I was pretty convinced that this child was either very well versed in the bible at his young age or his parents added a lot of details or both. It turns out his father is a pastor. What a shock.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MikeyA ( )
Date: June 30, 2012 11:32PM

God is a man?
God has a body?
God sits on an uncomfortable chair, made out of a metal that impresses materialistic people?
Do his legs get tired if he stands for too long?
God has a real life "my little pony"?
God has a body guard with a light saber?

I'm impressed.

I'm going to buy heaps of gold to make a chair so I can be like him. I don't have a pony but I will dye my cat, rainbow style.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: July 01, 2012 12:40AM

Things like that are amazing. Sure he did know a lot do to his Dad being a pastor. At any rate, I would enjoy reading that book. I am into ponies too.

Posted by: pandorasbox ( )
Date: July 01, 2012 04:01PM

The children's book is based upon a book written by his father about the boy's near death experience. It has the same title minus the "for kids". If you read the adult version, it is a very quick and interesting read...whether you believe in heaven or not. You get more of the details and back story too, which is neat.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 01, 2012 04:07PM

"It turns out his father is a pastor" ... and that is who wrote the book.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.