Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: July 02, 2012 08:02PM

Word has come to me from an individual and long-time contact (identity protected here) who appears to be giving some degree of credence to rumors that Thomas S. Monson may be suffering from Alzheimer's' disease.

However, note was also made that these reports are believer-based, that they presently remain unconfirmed and that they therefore cannot be reliably vouched for. These reports on Monson's supposed failing brain health are said to have come from a source who is described as having been accurate in past reports and predictions regarding the situation with Daniel C. Peterson. The current information on Monson is allegedly coming via connections to the Mormon Church hierarchy.

These yet-unconfirmed reports describe Monson has having engaged in embarrassing behavior at public events that has supposedly resulted in him now being continuously managed by Mormon Church-assigned handlers.

There are further unconfirmed reports that Uchtdorf is wanting to assume the office of Mormon Church presidential responsibilities through the approach supposedly employed by First Presidency counselor Hinckley (in order to take over the running of the Church presidency office of Ezra Taft Benson when the latter had fallen into significant mental and physical decline).

Another, (also presently unconfirmed) rumor has it that Packer is attempting to have the Quorum of the Twelve move to grant Monson emeritus status, thereby allowing Packer to become LDS Church president.

GA "musical chairs" at play here? When the music stops, they all fall down? We shall see.
_____

My opinion (based on how LDS, Inc. handled my grandfather's steady decline into pure figureheadedness) is that the Mormon Church will manage the affairs of the Corporation from behind the scenes, leaving the so-called "living prophet" in place as window-dressing akin to--as one skeptic called it--a dime-store mannequin display, with key decisions being made by First Presidency counselors, associated long-term embedded Church bureaucrats, PR designates and lawyers assigned to work with the front office, aided and abetted by cut-and-paste rehashes of old General Conference talks and perhaps a signature machine thrown in when needed for important legal stuff.

The membership won't have a clue and will follow as they always do; i.e., blindly.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2012 09:27PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: July 02, 2012 08:09PM

I would love to see packer be president. I think it would cause a major blowout all through the church.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: July 02, 2012 08:13PM

If god wanted a new prophet for his church he just brought out the golden sniper rifle and took care of it from behind a cloud in the sky.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 03, 2012 12:17AM

Toooo funny....and disturbing all at once....I can hear it now from some old TBM...."I ain't gonna let some "furiner" run MY church!".....

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: July 03, 2012 01:03AM

because Fuckfork is the only one who looks somewhat distinguished and not like a creepy old gasbag cult leader.

Posted by: Blinky ( )
Date: July 02, 2012 08:23PM

Decades of Packer's inspired counsel would be publicly scrutinized by the world's media during this election cycle. ...It's possible perfect storm.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 02, 2012 08:29PM

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: July 02, 2012 10:04PM

Having a sex fetish is not the same as having dementia.

Well, unless the guy is packing his only brain cells inside his "johnson."

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: July 02, 2012 08:43PM

I could see Uchtdorf leading the church. He's already run a company that operates in the sky. Now he can run one that operates with pie-the-sky.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: July 02, 2012 10:39PM

Ah - the Bagley wit is on overdrive tonight :)

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: July 02, 2012 10:50PM

Of course I meant Pie-in-the-sky.

Thanks for the kudos, 3X.

Posted by: slatheredtwice ( )
Date: July 02, 2012 08:44PM

Sounds like fun!

Boyd K. messin' with everyone's "Lil Factory".

Posted by: Onmywayout . . . someday ( )
Date: July 02, 2012 08:48PM

I have a hard time believing the Packer part of the rumor. First of all, he doesn't seem to have all his marbles anymore himself. Also, he has always been so uber-traditional and orthodox that I just don't believe that he would advocate breaking a tradition that goes all the way back to Brigham Young.

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: July 03, 2012 12:32AM

I could see him pulling a Brigham Young on Uchtdorf, though. The man is a power-hungry megalomaniac, and I think he'd do ANYTHING to get to the Holy of Holies in the SLC temple.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: July 02, 2012 08:49PM

as easily stage managed as Monson. You know, being a grizzly bear and all.

Posted by: just a thought ( )
Date: July 02, 2012 09:10PM

If true, coffee consumption might have prevented this. The irony of this would be thick to endure.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/06/110621093301.htm

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: July 02, 2012 09:25PM

ROMNEY.

He's proved he knows how to run a corporation while stepping on the little guys.

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: July 02, 2012 09:31PM

Mittens as profit?
Talk about an end of days scenario..
It's actually quite an horrific thought...

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: July 02, 2012 09:56PM

It would be better than the others and better for the USA to have Romney head of TSCC.

Posted by: lilygeorge ( )
Date: July 02, 2012 09:39PM

I kinda suspect several of the others started to lose it a bit before they journeyed on to the CK. Is it maybe harder to hide it with the all-intrusive media now? I wonder what "embarrassing" stuff he did. I know some old people with all their faculties but then they will pass gas shamelessly.

So just trying to figure out what the poor old devil is doing - maybe grabbing the butts of a Relief Society president or two as they pass him in the aisle? Seeing the statue of Jesus and calling it by the name of the puppy he had when he was five years old?

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: July 03, 2012 02:08AM

Admin for this board has discussed publishing confirmed sources on this and has chosen not to allow family information to be posted here, presumably out of respect for their privacy.

There is no way they can allow Monson to stay in place. Alzheimers is not like simple senility--there are rages and from what I have heard, this has already happened and Monson has been sidelined while a Vatican-like political struggle is taking place within the COB.

Anagrammy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2012 02:09AM by anagrammy.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: July 03, 2012 03:18AM

:-)

Posted by: warren ( )
Date: July 02, 2012 10:36PM

Or told them unusal things that would lose church members like something warren jeffs would do.

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: July 02, 2012 10:46PM

given that Count Chocula is already among the undead,

I don't understand how he can "die" more.

Steve, are they at least discussing what will become of Tommy's ferret?

even marments can be such cold and heartless bastards.

Does CultCo have a great and spacious country home for those ferrets who have served long and faithfully?

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: July 02, 2012 11:30PM

It would be more humane to give him and other incapacitated men emeritus status. Can you imagine the politics, though? Who would set the criteria and who would decide when they apply?

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: July 03, 2012 01:28AM

I remember talking to BKP's son in the mid 90's about his father becoming the big man. His son couldn't picture it, he was too far down the line of who goes next. Sounds like he might make it after all.

Posted by: Bradley ( )
Date: July 03, 2012 02:00AM

He should start a regimen of Medical Marijuana immediately.

Posted by: abinadiburns ( )
Date: July 03, 2012 02:08AM

I remember my uber TBM grandmother asking for coffee in her very old age. Everyone thought she was nuts. Now I wonder if she finally saw through the shenanigans.

Posted by: darth jesus ( )
Date: July 03, 2012 02:37AM

i vote for packer.

packer for president and prime minister!

i can't wait for him to start bashing other people beliefs, sexual tendencies, political views, other religions, fire everybody at FARMS, FAIR, whatever other names they have.

he'll act like a dancing drunk at a party.

exciting times.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: July 03, 2012 02:40AM

Pardon me Steve, but if you have multiple unconfirmed reports, then aren't the reports confirming each other?

Posted by: JustCurious ( )
Date: July 03, 2012 03:13AM

Here's a youtube video of TSM speaking on March 31, 2012:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az9SdYuVTNU

That would have only been 3 months ago. Are there signs of Alzheimer's in the video? I'm a non-member, so I have no horse in this race, but I'm not seeing Alzheimer symptoms in that video.

Consequently, I don't have a lot of faith in the rumor.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.