Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dk ( )
Date: July 08, 2012 11:59AM

I never wore garments. I buy underwear for comfort and fit. I also like colors other than white.

That being said, someone mentioned that a tall woman can wear garments and still wear skirts or shorts above the knee, but if you're short you can't.

Q: How are garments in size and fit? Do they come in different lengths, say petite and tall? What's the largest and smallest sizes? Could they fit a dwarf or someone that's 500 lbs.?

Q: Can the garments and temple outfits become off white or say pink if washed with something red? What if you go to the temple and your clothes are not exactly white anymore?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: crowbone ( )
Date: July 08, 2012 12:11PM

I can't answer your question, but I can add a garment story. When I started wearing Gs in the mid 80s, two-piece mesh Gs were relatively new (I think-new to me anyway). I bought a bunch then went over seas for a mission. The problem was that the fly design was horrible and would not keep the "package" on the inside . . . Very uncomfortable. Nuff said!

Posted by: redpill ( )
Date: July 08, 2012 12:16PM

They do have a shorter version of the male bottoms. I started buying them when I found out they were available. I don't remember what they were labeled as, and I don't think it was common knowledge.

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: July 08, 2012 03:51PM

It's pretty common now. Short, normal, and tall versions of the bottoms, and normal and tall versions of the tops for men. The lady at the distribution center gave me weird looks when I was buying short bottoms and tall tops for my husband once.

Date: July 08, 2012 03:52PM

Q: How are garments in size and fit? Do they come in different lengths, say petite and tall? What's the largest and smallest sizes? Could they fit a dwarf or someone that's 500 lbs.?

I'll get you a size chart once the site comes back up (it seems to not be responding very well right now).

Posted by: mo2atheist ( )
Date: July 08, 2012 12:18PM

1. Garments come in extra, extra wide without regard to length.

2. It is physically impossible to mix garments with colors because Cheribum and his flaming sword stands next to your washer and smites you if you're about to defile the garments with something like a Cincinatti reds cap.

I'm glad I could help.

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: July 08, 2012 12:21PM

My mom is 5'1" and her garments go about an inch or so below her knee. I'm only 5'3" so I would be in just about the same boat as her. I couldn't imagine going through life like that.

Posted by: JL ( )
Date: July 08, 2012 12:28PM

They are now providing G's in many, many sizes.

Back in the days when I was on my mission, many mishies had skin conditions because of G's because the weather was insanely hot and humid in summer and the G's were literally never dry as we mishes were constantly on the go riding ourbikes.

So, in a sacrament meeting, you'd see mishies scratching parts of the body in a rather unseemly manner - if you know what I mean. Even sister mishies were having a hard time sitting still throughout the sacrament meeting sometimes.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: July 08, 2012 12:36PM

Doesn't sound very healthy. How many pairs does the average member have? I personally think you can never have too many underwear.

Are they cotton?

Posted by: wanderingsheep ( )
Date: July 08, 2012 10:55PM

JL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They are now providing G's in many, many sizes.
>
> Back in the days when I was on my mission, many
> mishies had skin conditions because of G's because
> the weather was insanely hot and humid in summer
> and the G's were literally never dry as we mishes
> were constantly on the go riding ourbikes.
>
> So, in a sacrament meeting, you'd see mishies
> scratching parts of the body in a rather unseemly
> manner - if you know what I mean. Even sister
> mishies were having a hard time sitting still
> throughout the sacrament meeting sometimes.

Are you refering to crotch rot?

Posted by: lazarus ( )
Date: July 09, 2012 12:43AM

Hongos. Oh man, memories. That's spanish for fungus. I served in south america, I had to take pills to help fight the crotch rot. It was horrible. I used so much powder, everything I could. But I still spent half of my mission with horrible fungus.

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: July 09, 2012 07:25AM

This explains why my TBM brother in law has had a gross scratching problem ever since he got back from his mission...

Posted by: GoneNative ( )
Date: July 08, 2012 12:49PM

That's about the only reason I want to stay in a bit longer. I want to go to the temple and See it First Hand. But I really cant fake it for a whole year. I have better things to do on Sunday mornings. FTS.

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: July 08, 2012 02:16PM

Not worth it.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: July 09, 2012 07:14AM

Faking for a whole year? Don't you get credit for time served? Start counting back and then you only have to answer yes/no questions the way TSCC wants. Voila! Temple recommend. You will only want to go once.

Date: July 09, 2012 07:18AM

The itching aka jock rot is also a problem anywhere you have humidity. I tried every kind and garmies are a problem. This is worst with the cotton garmies which stay wet. Can you imagine wearing them and itching throuhout eternity?

Date: July 09, 2012 07:33AM

As usual, answers depend on how a question is worded. Being obvious that it makes no sense to wear a bra over garmies, and knowing we aren't supposed to ask any questions outside the temple, I asked in the temple and the temple president (or a counselor?) spoke with me. First, I asked about the bra question and was told it was up to the individual, not a requirement to wear it over the garmies. I relayed this to DW and from then on, it was under, I also asked about the problem with a rash... Could you wear something under the garmies? Well, because it was a medical reason, of course you could. With church approval! My rash problem was solved. I could wear non-issue underwear under! Over time, I just stopped the garmies.

Since it is normal for whites to yellow, what difference would washing them with, say, a nice new red towel do? Nothing. Pink is pretty. DW, however, knowing I would do that, washes hers alone.

Posted by: butterflyvenom ( )
Date: July 08, 2012 02:13PM

Garments come in a variety of fabrics and there is some variation on style. I'm a petite, and they do offer petites. How long they are depends a lot on type of fabric and style of bottoms. I've had garments that were the same size and both petites, one was right at my knee, the other was 3-4 inches above.

Over a few years of garment wearing, I figured out that the nylon mesh tops had the shortest sleeves, really just a cap sleeve and the cotton bottoms had the shortes legs which made it easier to keep them covered and made my wardrobe not quite as limited. I also always bought them a size smaller than my usual size so they were snug to reduce visibility.

I didn't notice any variation for bust size, so if you are either really busty or flat, there is no way to accomadate that. Also, all of the bottoms always came up to my belly button or a couple inches above. Seriously, who chooses wears their underwear that high? So glad to be done with it all.

Posted by: icedlatte ( )
Date: July 08, 2012 02:56PM

Oh yeah, I'm fairly busty and regular garments were always too tight on my chest, or the ones with an empire seam wouldn't go down far enough and I'd have a seam right through the middle of my boobs. Opposite problem with the nursing ones though- there is so much fabric in the chest area that I felt like I was stuffing my bra, or I had that seam all the way down at belly button level. When I was TBM I would have loved some stretch garments, you know, like a thinner version of those Utah brand undershirts.

Date: July 08, 2012 03:02PM

I had the same problem, And nursing garments were the worst, you could never get them to lay smooth.

Date: July 08, 2012 03:36PM

They have their "standard cup" size which is sized around a B cup, they say, a "full cup" which is around a DD, and a chemise style that has no bust seams or anything, it's just flat like a regular cami-type thing. At least there is variety there now.

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: July 08, 2012 02:19PM

You should see in the distribution center how many sizes and styles there are--I would almost guarantee they've got everyone covered these days.

Nothing too appealing aesthetically, though.

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: July 08, 2012 02:32PM

flyboy21 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You should see in the distribution center how many
> sizes and styles there are--I would almost
> guarantee they've got everyone covered these
> days.

I see what you did there.

Posted by: inmoland ( )
Date: July 08, 2012 02:29PM

So, would the angel with the flaming sword smite thee for making a few minor alterations?

Say, you're 5'1" and the same G's that go above the knee on somebody else come below your knees......you're not allowed a reasonable little hem to accommodate that? No one would know you if you did it, anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2012 02:32PM by inmoland.

Date: July 08, 2012 02:36PM

I considered doing this. I also briefly considered making my own so that they would fit me right, until I found out that it was strictly forbidden. Can't have people comfortable after all, now can we.

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: July 08, 2012 02:33PM

There are some slightly shorter bottoms for men, but typically they hang down to your knee, especially when new. If you get the regular length bottoms, they can dip below your knee, I'm 6 foot tall. I got reemed by my MTC companion once for placing my garments on the floor when I was preparing to do laundry. All kinds of silly rules to protect the good ol' masonic square and compass.

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: July 08, 2012 02:44PM

Oh yes, the 'don't put them on the floor' rule. I remember that one. What a crock. As if the floor is unholy... lol..

I hated the mesh ones. I can't stand those kind of fabrics.. they give me the willies. I used to prefer cotton. I've never had them change color on me as I used to wash them together/seperately. So only garmies in one load of washing.

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: July 08, 2012 03:04PM

I wore garments from 1991 until two months ago, and thereby became intimately familiar with the ins and outs...

Washing - They needed to be washed by themselves or with only other whites, or they would pick up other colors (including tan, cream, pink, etc.)

Sizes - I'm 5'6" but with fairly long legs for my height. The bottoms that would actually fit (i.e., not be enormously baggy) were usually at least two inches above my kneecap, which was convenient. I never could find any tops that fit correctly, as the stupid cups were always too big.

Fabrics - My skin is very dry and sensitive, so the only ones that I could even begin to wear without rashes were the 100% cotton ones. (Even they would cause rashes in the summer, especially in a humid climate.) Mesh, drisilque, nylon were all very uncomfortable for me.

I LOVE not wearing garments. LOVE IT! I feel like I have my body back after more than 20 years. And this is the first summer since before my mission that I haven't had a sticky, sopping layer of cotton under my clothes.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: July 08, 2012 03:37PM

The cotton ones feel like you have a wet towel under your clothes when you sweat.

My husband is 5'5 he ordered a man short version in a size too small. He could alway wear regular shorts with them.

I'm also 5'5. I would order the women's petite in a size smaller. They were about 5 inches longer than my husbands. To me it seemed like they were forcing the women to wear those suckers long no matter what.

I'm very handy with a sewing machine. I cut all of mine the same length as hubby's, then put in a new marking. You couldn't tell. You need a serger sewing machine to make it look right. It's against the rules to alter them, but whose telling? I was so good at wearing garments and choosing clothes that worked with them, people usually couldn't tell I was wearing them. Hence the garment feel up hugs.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: July 08, 2012 04:17PM

When I was wearing gs in the 90s, I had mine custom made by Beehive clothing. At 5'10" size 6, I couldn't get garment tops long enough to stay tucked in that didn't swallow me. I complained about it one day to a lady at Beehive clothing, and she took my measurements and sent them to SLC. About six weeks later I got a call to come pick them up. I had to keep the package, because the special code was on it; and had custom-fitted garment tops for the next four or five years. Same price as off-the-rack.

Wonder if they still do that

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: July 09, 2012 12:45AM

I wish I had known that when I was still wearing Gs! I'm 5 ft and very petite all around. NEVER had a pair that fit me in any way. It was awful.

Date: July 08, 2012 10:38PM

Okay, sizes.

For women's tops, they run from 3xs which is a 28 inch bust to 5xl, which is a 63 1/2 inch bust.

Men's bottoms go from a 24 inch waist to a 58 inch waist.

The rest of the size charts won't load right now, but that's a general idea.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: July 08, 2012 11:24PM

I guess a waist size over 58 inches you aren't following the word of wisdom, so you can bag the garments.

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: July 09, 2012 12:56AM

I got married in 1979, right before they started to make the two-piecers and I had already bought a whole bunch of onesies. It's like when you buy an iPhone and a week later the new model comes out.

Anyway, back then they had, I think, four materials for women: nylon (gawd-awful hot), 100% cotton (heavy and bunched up), bemberg (a polyester blend) and the mesh, which I think were also nylon. I got the bemberg, which was the most comfortable for me. I soon found that if you bleached the bejesus out of them, they got realllly thin and so weren't so hot in the summer and you could manipulate them under your underwear so they were hiked up higher on your leg, allowing for shorts that didn't look too weird.

Back then knee length shorts and capris definitely weren't in style. Now they have it easier.

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: July 09, 2012 01:01AM

So, yea, they do come in short, tall, petite, etc. But, here's the thing, I always found that by about halfway through the day, the garment bottoms were always sagging down below my knee (even with petite) and I kept having to hike them up - so annoying! Then on top, they have different stuff too, but I am large chested, and I was such an apostate that I wore my bra underneath rather than over the garment and so the garment had a tendency to ride up and I kept having to pull it down, also so annoying!

The only time I liked garments is when I was pregnanty. They had some decently comfortable maternity garments.

I absolutely hated wearing them during the summer and also at night. I am SO glad I'm not wearing them anymore!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2012 01:07AM by dogeatdog.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: July 09, 2012 06:54AM

They come in the following styles
Frumpy
More Frumpy
Really Frumpy
Ridiculously Frumpy
Grandmother Frumpy

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: July 09, 2012 07:17AM

Why does the Apple app store button have the same markings as my underwear?

Posted by: peregrine ( )
Date: July 09, 2012 07:24AM

I found that garment were very poorly made and inconsistent. I always bought the same size garments yet there were some that went all the way to my knee and others that only went to about 6 inches above my knee. I also found that they weren’t even consistent from right to left on the same pair of bottoms. I had a couple pairs of shorts that I liked but I could only wear them with a certain pair of bottoms.
And who in their right mind designs something with a waistband tag and seam on the hip?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.