Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: captainmoroni ( )
Date: July 10, 2012 06:13PM

The source is D Micael Quinn's Origins of Power timeline. Found here:

http://onthisdayinmormonhistory.blogspot.com/2008/10/july-10th.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: July 10, 2012 10:52PM

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: July 10, 2012 11:12PM

Thanks for posting this captain.

Smith was a coward (as many big talkers are) There are numerous accounts of him doing cowardly things. Anyone care to start a list?

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: July 11, 2012 04:03AM

I think I would have fainted and peed my pants were it me--or peed my pants and fainted. Not sure which order.

Posted by: FormerLatterClimber ( )
Date: July 11, 2012 04:28AM

I would love to see that made into a movie, like the John Adams HBO movie. I just watched it last night and the tar and feather scene made me wish they'd make a Joe Smith movie.

Posted by: footdoc ( )
Date: July 11, 2012 09:31AM

not boasting here, but I cannot even fathom a situation that was so intimidating I fainted, its just not how I'm wired. I guess its a good thing Joe never used the Nauvoo Legion in combat, at the first sniff of gun powder or blood he probably would have sounded the retreat and many innocent men he was responsible for would likely have died due to his cowardice.

Fainting in the face of danger goes against survival needs, by losing consciousness how can you possible hope to fight or flight? Joe=Loud mothed coward.

Date: July 11, 2012 04:20PM

footdoc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Fainting in the face of danger goes against
> survival needs, by losing consciousness how can
> you possible hope to fight or flight? Joe=Loud
> mothed coward.

Actually, going unconscious is a last-ditch survival effort. People often forget there are *three* survival responses, not just two. They are fight, flight, *freeze.* Going into unconsciousness or shock feigns death and will deter some predators.

Date: July 11, 2012 04:42PM

I'm not a fan of Joseph Smith but I don't think he was a coward, whether he fainted or not. After he fled Nauvoo to escape the militia send to capture him, he returned when he got word the inhabitants feared the city would be destroyed and some of them killed unless he surrendered. Apparently, also, some friends said he was a coward for abandoning them. Smith, himself, apparently felt if he went to Carthage he'd be killed but he went anyway.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: July 11, 2012 09:44AM

Has the church condemned in any wnay the leader of the battalion for not coming to the rescue of Joseph?

Where did this come from: someone tried to decapitate Jospeh and was stopped by an angel?

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: July 11, 2012 10:13AM

I like the story of how Joseph Smith was meeting with a learned man about one of his translations and he excused himself to urinate and the man was startled to see him fleeing on a horse at high speed.

Running was Joe's MO.

Anagrammy

Posted by: me ( )
Date: July 11, 2012 10:16AM

"July 10, 1844 - Samuel Williams, commanding officer of the Carthage Greys, writes a letter describing the happenings at Carthage jail." Thanks. He might have been shocked to know who was there. I just asked a contact for a list of the Carthage Greys.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: July 11, 2012 04:52PM

He pulled a Lamoni?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.