Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: partymxman ( )
Date: July 11, 2012 02:49PM

I find some fascinating info reading it. On astrology, just using sun signs are not enough when you want to figure into a relationship and such, other facets; communication, children, spirituality, tendencies. Nothing is 100%, I know, but I love exploring new ideas.

What are your thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: July 11, 2012 02:52PM

astrology = psychics = patriarchal blessings

I do find reading a horoscope occassionally to be entertaining.

Also I think placebo confidence boosters can be helpful. Reading your horoscope that something good is going to happen may give you the confidence to do something positive you wouldn't otherwise have done.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: July 11, 2012 02:53PM

And I still think it's a fun party/social game, but really it's all BS.

Posted by: wanderingsheep ( )
Date: July 11, 2012 03:05PM

It's crazy but my horoscope is usually spot on. I don't take it seriously, but it is interesting how the stars tell me more on a daily basis than my patriarchal blessing.

Date: July 11, 2012 03:07PM

Same here.

Of course I've also noticed that I can read the horoscope for any other sign and it is also always spot on...

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: July 11, 2012 03:08PM

That's because they are all generic. Astrology is not a science, horoscopes are something JS could do.

Date: July 11, 2012 03:09PM

Tonight you will feel sleepy.

The sun shalt arise come morn.

Love is in the air.

Posted by: wanderingsheep ( )
Date: July 11, 2012 03:13PM

You all are awesome! always making me laugh.

Date: July 11, 2012 03:17PM

When Samuel the Lamanite read his horoscope and it said:

"There shall be a day and a night and a day without darkness"

Now that was something!

Date: July 11, 2012 03:18PM

Impressive stuff right there...

Posted by: mootman ( )
Date: July 11, 2012 03:07PM

Actually the very foundations of Christianity are rooted in ancient astrological and pagan religion.

There are a number of good sources about this. Right now on Netflix Streaming is a film called Zeitgeist: The Movie. It gives a good overview of this.

Another film that goes over this is called The Pharmacratic Inquisition. It's available on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7141B2086E8A4AEF

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: July 11, 2012 03:11PM

The SMith family lived by it. They had charts that they used to tell them all kinds of things.

Joseph used astrology to assist him with his money digging ventures. I think a lot of the mormon church was founded on concepts of astrology and the occult.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: July 11, 2012 03:11PM

It's all pi in the sky...

Date: July 11, 2012 03:15PM

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: July 11, 2012 03:13PM

Us Cancerians don't believe in that stuff.

Date: July 11, 2012 03:15PM

Well played!

Posted by: tig ( )
Date: July 11, 2012 03:23PM

LOL

That's what I think.

Posted by: mindlight ( )
Date: July 11, 2012 03:23PM

I found, with myself, that I could read any astrological sign's prediction... and I could make it apply to me.... cause I am so special :P

Now.....Tarot cards... very fun... spent lotsa time with those

but you have to sleep with your deck next to your heart first.....and always keep it as yours...

ahhh the days

Posted by: The Motrix ( )
Date: July 11, 2012 03:41PM

How exactly does it work? It doesn't. It's made up, just like so many other things we humans do. Luckily for us, we invented another way of understanding the universe called science. So far, science has been a huge success.

Posted by: mindlight ( )
Date: July 11, 2012 03:47PM

They did not have tv or internet and were bored so they stared at the stars... gosh.. simple ..

but they did develop patterns, they had alot of time

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: July 11, 2012 03:48PM

It's nonsense. The star signs have shifted since they were first established and no longer correspond to dates. I believe they are at least a full sign out of sinc with the assigned date ranges.

Posted by: FormerLatterClimber ( )
Date: July 11, 2012 05:20PM

Good point. But I would be willing to believe that the position of stars and planets have an affect on us. Ever see the overflowing birthing rooms or the overflowing jail booking on full moons? There is something to it, I think.

Date: July 11, 2012 05:24PM

I must confess every time I see a full moon I feel an impulse to throw back my head and howl like a wolf - probably social conditing - probably more my twisted sense of humor.

I also feel the impulse to get it on with my wife. Of course, that impulse comes pretty time she walks by and I get a peek at her hot butt. Or any other of about 900 reasons

Date: July 11, 2012 11:04PM

Lol, the placebo effect. Sure, I see. But ask any labor and delivery nurse, their work load is bursting at the seams on full moons.

I could be wrong but I don't think you can necessarily will yourself into delivery, I've certainly never been able to do that. Drinking castor oil and drinking blue cohosh, however works quite nicely. ;-)

Posted by: quebec ( )
Date: July 11, 2012 03:48PM

Well in English I'm a sign and in the French one I'm another sign, then you have the Chinese Astrology, then you have the astrology based on the signification of your name, then you have numerology, so... as for anything, there are little things that seem spot on, but there are much more things that just don't fit.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: July 11, 2012 07:55PM

The personality that I'm supposed to have as a Capricorn is so far removed from who I am that it isn't even funny. I even tried reading the other stuff, with your rising sign and all that stuff. Still nothing like me.

So because of that, even when I leaned towards magical thinking, I never put any stock whatsoever into astrology.

The daily horoscopes were the worst. Every Capricorn was supposed to have the same day? What about the fact that every newspaper told me something different?

Nope. I never saw any reason to take it seriously at all.

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: July 11, 2012 09:19PM

...and there are plenty of charlatans whose goal is to lighten the wallet of the sucker.

Date: July 11, 2012 09:43PM

I think astrology went the way of the birds when astronomy, an actual science, took over. But it was not all that long ago that the two were intertwined. I learned how to plot charts. It's real fun, but it's not accurate.

Posted by: Brother Bacon Sandwich ( )
Date: July 11, 2012 10:01PM

I've self-identified as agnostic-atheist-rationalist-materialist for over 20 years. When I first started finding my way out of the church in the late 70s and early 80s I looked into lots of different beliefs and points of view, including astrology. I've always had a great disdain for astrology in general; the daily horoscopes are garbage, imho.

However, I've found the relationship descriptions to be oddly accurate and useful. I've long been surprised at how often it works out that people that I don't mix well with turn out to be signs that I'm not supposed to mix well with, and vice versa.

I don't rely on that kind of thing in any way, and I can't say that it's been 100%, but it also has been accurate very often. To be honest, this and other observed oddities does color my point of view such that it isn't quite accurate for me to self-describe as rationalist-materialist in a strict sense. Oh well.

Posted by: icanseethelight ( )

I have mentioned this several times, but the early church was full of astrology, look at the salt lake temple and all the signs that were painstakingly carved into the stone. Hugh Nibley wrote Temple and Cosmos, a book which talks about all the astrology tied up in the church. So I give it as much credit as I do the church, which is to say, none.

Posted by: icanseethelight ( )

karma, however, is a bitch.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: July 11, 2012 10:06PM

I once went to an astrologer for an in depth reading. I won it as a prize and thought 'why not?' The astrologer made a star chart (which I got to keep) from the time, date and place of my birth and discussed it with me for 90 mins. She also made an audio recording of the session and gave me a copy.

I actually thought it was a lot of fun... but of course it was a lot of fun... having someone be interested in you and talking about you with you for 90 mins. ;-)

The only thing I really remember is that she said I was the most 'air-like' person she'd ever come across. ???

I just view astrology as fun and perhaps a tool or stepping stones towards interesting and maybe helpful convos.

Aquarians kick-ass, btw. ;-)

Date: July 11, 2012 10:34PM

My hubby is an Aquarian :)

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: July 11, 2012 10:31PM

I'd like to believe in astrology, but I'm a Libra. And us roosters don't believe in Chinese astrology either. As for Mormonism, well, I'm a Bagley.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: July 11, 2012 10:54PM

also known as "before the Prozac wore off." Did my own chart and everything. I've since realized there's no way the stars and planets are influencing human life other than the sun continuing to shine. :)

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: July 11, 2012 11:38PM

Astrology, like religion was an ancient attempt to make sense of the universe. Nothing in it is verifiable by rational scientific study. It's hokum.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: July 11, 2012 11:56PM

I am grateful that old rulers were so superstitious about their own fate that they were willing to pay people to study the stars. As Alchemy was a forerunner of chemistry, astrology was a forerunner of astronomy and mathematics. For that I am grateful and acknowledge to wisdom and knowledge it helped discover. However, like religion it must be taken on faith and is not falsifiable. Like religion its practitioners are focused more on preserving the traditions than testing and refining them. They appeal to people for the same reason religion does. They play on our fear, greed, vanity, and loneliness. They give people easy vague answers that make them feel special and like their lives have some divine meaning.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.