Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 05:25PM

Is it true or not true that when a person is going to join the mormon church, that they must verbally comitt to pay their tithing to the church before they're allowed to be baptized. Your experience please.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 05:30PM

IIRC that was one of the questions. Pretty straightforward, just like the others, chastity, sabbath day, WoW etc. They had to commit before baptism.

Posted by: flyfisher ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 05:32PM

Yes that is true. I went to south american and the people there are really poor and had a hard time with the whole tithing thing. Well in th TSCC wisdom they started a member feed program. Each member was to sign up to feed the missionaries each week and after a few months they were supposed to take the money that they would have spent on feeding the missionaries and give it to the church for tithing. Unfortunately it back fired cuz all the missionaries were sick in bed with all sorts of bugs and illnesses! They had to stop the program after only a few weeks.

Posted by: Rebecca ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 05:33PM

you ask them if they will follow the law of tithing. Of course they always say yes, either out of politeness usually. At least that was my experience in Thailand where the culture strives to not create uncomfortable situations. So, of course they say yes, to make you, the foreigner/guest, happy, and plan to do whatever the hell they please. As they should!

Posted by: Amos ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 05:37PM

If they declined tithing they were considered unprepared for baptism, same as word of wisdom, chastity, church attendance.

Still, most converts soon backslid into not keeping their commitments.

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 05:41PM

Gosh, it appears that knocking on doors to trying to get new members, and as a form of solicitation. It is not the lds church by soliciting new members and requiring a promise to give all that they have, and tithing of 10% of their gross salary to the church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints. It sure looks like solicitation to me. What do you think?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2010 05:53PM by get her done.

Posted by: orsonsplatt ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 08:02PM

I remember interviewing a guy for baptism once. I had to ask him about sexual sin and he admitted cheating on his wife. So I told him he had to confess and ask forgiveness from God and his wife before he could be baptized.

I am ashamed of myself for that.

On the bright side, I'm sure that meant he never joined.

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 08:25PM

Well, yeah. Who answered no though. Even in the Philippines people always answered they would pay. I remember my own baptism interview. I was a teenager and paying tithing on a teenagers salary which really didn't seem like much to me.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 08:26PM

Posted by: Rebecca ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 08:31PM

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: September 29, 2010 10:32PM

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 08:38PM

Yup. Part of the baptismal interview questions.

Posted by: Fallen ( )
Date: September 29, 2010 08:51PM

Bunch of sellouts!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.